Home
Posted By: butchlambert1 Help me decide - 01/31/23
I found a pretty nice bare pre64 Mod 70 receiver in one of my drawers. Do I sell it or can parts be found to complete it at a reasonable price?
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Help me decide - 01/31/23
Butchlambert: If it has the bolt with the receiver I say build an "all-around" Western Rifle with it - in caliber 25/06 Remington.
If it doesn't have the bolt put it back in the "drawer" or try to sell it.
Best of luck whichever you do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Help me decide - 01/31/23
Standard caliber barrels and modified (user) pre64 stocks are available at reasonable cost.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Help me decide - 01/31/23
Here's a source for parts. He has pretty much anything you'll need, but not particularly cheap. Bottom line, the stuff's out there.

https://pre64win.com/

If I didn't have more projects going than enough I would be talking to you!
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Help me decide - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Butchlambert: If it has the bolt with the receiver I say build an "all-around" Western Rifle with it - in caliber 25/06 Remington.
If it doesn't have the bolt put it back in the "drawer" or try to sell it.
Best of luck whichever you do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No, it is a bare receiver. You're right, put it back up in the drawer.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Help me decide - 01/31/23
Uhh, you never know, Butch. Some well heeled connoisseur of custom M70's might come along and want a no-holds-barred gun!

Bolts: expensive, but the small parts aren't. Hang a Shilen barrel on it.....
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Uhh, you never know, Butch. Some well heeled connoisseur of custom M70's might come along and want a no-holds-barred gun!

At 80yrs old I have a full safe of customs and don't need another. I think that I will put it away for now.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Help me decide - 01/31/23

Bolts are very expensive. I'd also check ebay. There is a stripped bolt listed there right now for $250.. They have a nice new steel floorplate too, that I'd buy if I was in the market for one. The main problem with piece mealing this schidt is I can find complete rifles for less money than it's going to cost you to put one together, even if you put one back together like it was factory again. I know where a nice rifle is that has been rechambered. They are wanting $850 for the complete working rifle, with die set and a box of reloading components.. Probably $150 worth of extra's there, so rifle is around $700.00.. Plus it has a Leupold on it. The gloss Leupy's sell for some pretty good money now days. Even if you took off $200 for that, the complete rifle is in the $500 range.. Just the way my mind works..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bolts are very expensive. I'd also check ebay. There is a stripped bolt listed there right now for $250.. They have a nice new steel floorplate too, that I'd buy if I was in the market for one. The main problem with piece mealing this schidt is I can find complete rifles for less money than it's going to cost you to put one together, even if you put one back together like it was factory again. I know where a nice rifle is that has been rechambered. They are wanting $850 for the complete working rifle, with die set and a box of reloading components.. Probably $150 worth of extra's there, so rifle is around $700.00.. Plus it has a Leupold on it. The gloss Leupy's sell for some pretty good money now days. Even if you took off $200 for that, the complete rifle is in the $500 range.. Just the way my mind works..

We think about the same way and I've got a bunch that I've not done anything with. I was lucky to buy a much older custom built on a VZ33 for next to nothing and it is not drilled for scope bases. Just sitting here with others.
Fellow on another forum has offered me 2 bolts,one complete, and other parts for a very fair price.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Help me decide - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Fellow on another forum has offered me 2 bolts,one complete, and other parts for a very fair price.

Sounds great. I've seen some of your work. You can have a rifle up and running in no time. Good luck with your project.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Help me decide - 02/01/23
Personally Iā€™m of the opinion that bringing a classic old rifle back to life is even better than bringing back a useless car. šŸ˜€šŸ˜‚
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Help me decide - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Personally Iā€™m of the opinion that bringing a classic old rifle back to life is even better than bringing back a useless car. šŸ˜€šŸ˜‚

Only sometime.
© 24hourcampfire