Home
Posted By: Robb10238 Glass Question - 03/21/23
I recently acquired an older Super grade in 270 that I plan on hunting with. My eyes require me to scope the gun but I would like to go with something that matches the style and age of the rifle rather than the latest 50 mm super scope that compensates for the changing polar vortex and rotational pull of the moon before it tells me the hold over and windage numbers for the 100 yard shot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Glass Question - 03/21/23
Leupold fx3 6 power. You love that scope. Fits a long action mod 70 great.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Glass Question - 03/21/23
I use gloss Leupold M8 4X or 6X scopes on all my guns. Classic scopes that to my eye look perfect on a pre64 M70 or Kimber Montana M or L. YMMV
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Glass Question - 03/21/23
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Leupold M8, FX-II, FX-2 6x36 power. You love that scope. Fits a long action mod 70 great.

This ^^^ and I fixed it for Coyote10
Posted By: beretzs Re: Glass Question - 03/21/23
The VX5 series doesn't look horrible either for my eyes.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Glass Question - 03/21/23
Originally Posted by Robb10238
I recently acquired an older Super grade in 270 that I plan on hunting with. My eyes require me to scope the gun but I would like to go with something that matches the style and age of the rifle rather than the latest 50 mm super scope that compensates for the changing polar vortex and rotational pull of the moon before it tells me the hold over and windage numbers for the 100 yard shot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here you go. This one has been tested and works well:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

$300 shipped.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Glass Question - 03/21/23
To my eyes those old wood stocked winchester M70's look good with leupold scopes. I would pick a 6x36 or even a decent 3-9x40.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Glass Question - 03/22/23
Originally Posted by handwerk
To my eyes those old wood stocked winchester M70's look good with leupold scopes. I would pick a 6x36 or even a decent 3-9x40.

For sure. I’ve used a lot of the old 4x’s.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Even look decent on the old Sakos…

Posted By: Rockman Re: Glass Question - 03/22/23
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, I have 2 older steel tube Weavers that might work for you. A V-7 wide view (2-7 Duplex) $135 shipped and a K-4 (post & crosshair) $125 shipped. Both of these are in very good condition (glass & appearance).
Posted By: beretzs Re: Glass Question - 03/22/23
Those sound like cool ones Rockman.
Posted By: Robb10238 Re: Glass Question - 03/23/23
Thank you for all the input guys. I dug around in the cabinet and found an old VX 3x9 that looks pretty good on the old gun. Fine cross hairs and no dot so it is pretty old school and should work fine.
© 24hourcampfire