Home
Posted By: Live2hunt941 Winchester trapper value? - 03/29/23
I don’t go by gunbroker buying or selling for the most part That being said any ideas on what a very clean model 94 angle eject trapper with cross bolt safety is going for now a days It’s a 44 magnum by the way

Attached picture 3F596868-364F-4E7A-A24E-51615113B3F7.jpeg
In today's world with the World Wide Web it is what it is. To me that's Kinda like saying "I like to invest and make money but I don't go by Wall street"! IMO!
With that being said let me try to Humor you. Angle Eject,(AE), is nice especially if you want to scope it. Most prefer the Tang Safety(pre. 1992)over the Cross bolt,(1992-2006),(like myself).
Caliber choice is very important, naturally, as it's a good caliber in a trapper and this style of Gun. The .44 Mag. Caliber was introduced in 1985 in this Model,(mfg.1964-2006).
The Trapper Was discontinued in 2006 when Winchester closed their Plant and carried a trapper style 16 inch Barrel with side eject. Does your Model state AE? Curious!
The Model 94 Compact Trapper had the 12 inch Barrel. (Limited mfg. 2006).
These Sold for $470.00 (MSR)
These sell above this $$ currently whether it's here on the Fire or another Auction site that you might not care for. I'm sure that you can ask above the MSR. $$ and get a fair $ for it as it's in nice condition as there's always someone looking for something. OMHO!!!
Good Luck!
HS 58
Yes sir Does have the AE on the barrel
Posted By: iskra Re: Winchester trapper value? - 04/05/23
Just a bit differing "Safety era" understanding to my knowledge. But wider moment, taking from the top. The "Trapper" of pre WWII era presented a carbine with shorter than otherwise "standard barrel" of several lengths. The National Firearms Act came along and prohibited less than 18" until Amended at urging of Importers citing impediment to such as Swede Model 94 and Argentine 1909 models of fractionally less length. Whence the law was amended for rifles to minimum of 16". There have other ways/means to skirt the 16".

To my knowledge the first Post WWII Trapper length barrel '94 was intro'd with the "Legendary Lawman Commemorative" of 1977. In '81-2, a last hurrah of "Winchester Olin" the unadorned '94 Model were offered as "Trapper" name model. In '82, added a lightly engraved large loop lever "Wrangler". The "torch was passed" to USRA in '82 and the 16" barrel models ended quietly expired! All Win-Olin production 16" barrels, thus were pre angle-eject and pre external safety.

I appreciate the purity of original, historic '94 styling. Scope on a 94 I realize is popular, but to me belies the classic function and aesthetics and especially so on a short barrel rifle. I've never liked the external safeties on such lever guns, '94 or comparable Marlin levers. I don't condemn those who desire/need such.

In contradiction to the above Post, I 'believe' the cross bolt safety antedated the sliding tang safety and all such 'sliders' were intro'd under Miroku, Japan actual manufacture. To me both gurmblingly "acceptable" and easier to conceal via tang sights, if those presenting their own inconvenience!

I have examples of the Lawman, Trapper and Wrangler carbines and of a Win Model '86 45/70 with sliding safety from about 2012 and unadorned Browning 1886 Carbine of '91 vintage in 45/70. That Browning reflecting the epitome of great classic fashioned lever rifle of modern steels and and quality Mfg!
So, my "hands on" experience with some few species described! Pix du Jour! smile
Best!
John
© 24hourcampfire