Home
Posted By: 160user Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/05/23
Here is one that was "discovered" and didn't come from a collector. It is FAR from a safe queen but finding a 36 that hasn't been boogered up is getting hard. No extra holes or pad and it even has the short tang receiver sight so the stock wasn't notched. Serial number 6,2xx. I plan to scrub the bore tomorrow and hopefully shoot it in the next week or so if the snow ever quits.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Neat old rifle. It's definitely seen some use. Keep us posted.
Posted By: 99Ozarks Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/05/23
What level did you find it on?
Posted By: handwerk Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/05/23
what a fun piece of history to enjoy.
Posted By: iskra Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/05/23
Congrats! With 'notations'. Believe per SN, yours actually considered "third year" production. See below. I also do believe your diopter/peep, etc sight (not "tang sight"), is indeed "inletted". Were it original, it would have to be as the last Model Lyman not offered until post WWII! That Lyman could indeed have been a "factory optional installation", but inletting mandated. Even then, it could have been original factory installation. The "evidence of a missing barrel boss sight OR original dovetail blank installed. Would strongly suggest aftermarket. Also, many collectors reflect the principle that without factory documentation of accessories "factory installed"; conclusively presumed as "aftermarket". Appearing quite early era style nuanced floorplate release button which if any intentional early era faking, that will be forgotten.

What you have a nice, functional 'almost original' and yet quite early Model 70. To celebrate that find! I can't see the barrel nomenclature but if 30-06 it should be presented in format: "30 GOV'T 06" and the barrel underside marked NLT than perhaps "38" for actual assembly date of manufacture. (Collectors 'call DOM by serial #). A lesser altered factor is the barrel length and resulting sight ramp alterations. If those are consistent, likely all else comporting.

Factory Records Model 70 SN Ref: 1935 - 1 TO 19, '36 - TO 2238, '37 - TO 11573

Just a quick take and "calling as I see them" inclusive of the conclusion, I'd enjoy enjoying such a 70! smile

Best!
John
Posted By: 160user Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/05/23
Iskra, thank you! My "Blue Book" shows the DOM and production numbers the same as you posted but my Winchester book shows 1935 S# 1-4 and 1936 S#5-about 7,000 (I don't have the book in front of me). The sight must be a later addition as the stock is not notched. I pulled the action out of the wood to wipe it down and verified this. As I said, it is certainly not a safe queen but is a solid and honest old rifle that I was happy to find.

Originally Posted by 99Ozarks
What level did you find it on?

It was on the upper level in the far corner. As you came in the main door it would have been at about 1 o'clock up against the wall. The gun had rusty bolt action shotguns and other "junk" but I spotted this in with them.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/05/23
Nice score!
The Factory Polishing Room Records indicate that your gun was serialized in April, 1937.

Thatโ€™s a Redfield 70-W receiver sight with Hunter knobs.
Oh I would like to hear the stories that rifle could tell.
Posted By: 160user Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/05/23
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Oh I would like to hear the stories that rifle could tell.

That was exactly my thoughts! The guy claimed he bought it in 1973 and had never hunted with it.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/05/23
Dig an older Leupold scope out of your man cave and take it hunting this fall
Youโ€™d need a Stith mount too and the bolt handle would still probably not clear a Leupold ocular.
A Stith and Lyman Alaskan would be the ticket for that gun.
I love the used and hunted character!
Nice find!!
Posted By: 160user Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/06/23
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Youโ€™d need a Stith mount too and the bolt handle would still probably not clear a Leupold ocular.
A Stith and Lyman Alaskan would be the ticket for that gun.

I have an extra Lyman Alaskan but I think I am out of Stith mounts. I have 3 rigged up that way now and they shoot better than I can.
Posted By: iskra Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/06/23
My bad on that "quick take" receiver sight misconstrue. Multitasking where I shouldn't have tried!

I'd counsel against the scope installation unless you're really set on it. I have several Stiths on my prewar Model 70 rifles in 30-06, 270 Win both from 1942 & a SG 70 .257 Roberts from '39. Wearing a Lyman Alaskan, a Weaver 440 & a Weaver, don't recall model; respectively. See SG pix. All came to me 'as nesting' on respective rifles. I wouldn't remove them as packages 'ostensibly' original but for the aft sights removal, necessitated by Stith mounting.
Notable, the fact that era scopes were delicate & host guns were most often "babied". Likely difficult to find a wear-matching scope & Stith mount belying subsequently 'tacked on'!

I'd just enjoy that honest principally prewar vintage setup you now have! If you want a scope friendly Model 70 go into about '48 year+ vintage when the Factory was offering D&T standard. Earlier D&T "non-collector bargains" will be custom drilled specs and who knows what likely obsolete mount such to fit! The Stith was a 'make do' adaptation. Great for collectors but also 'clunky are us' for contemporary users.

If you must have your Stith 'moment in the Sun', the Lyman Alaskan as recommended above at least presents a much more contemporary/classic image! Be sure to note the 7/8" tube diameter! Stiths were not "universal bases!

Again, just my own 'quick take'!
Good Luck & Best!
John

Attached picture R415-2.jpg
Attached picture R415-5U.jpg
Attached picture R415-7.jpg
Attached picture R415-15.jpg
Attached picture R422-19.jpg
Posted By: 160user Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/06/23
I would NEVER drill the rear bridge on any pre-war for a scope. That is part of the "cool factor" on the rifle.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/06/23
A different solution is to scope it as the factory intended in those early years. Utilizing the two holes on the receiver and the barrel dovetail, install a pair of target scope blocks and install a Lyman 5A or Unertl/Fecker Small Game scope (or even a Unertl/Fecker target scope). (Don't let the name fool you - Small Game scopes were game scopes that were small in comparison to the target scopes, not necessarily for small game. Excellent optics that carry over nicely into the "modern" era.) The bolt handle will clear it handily. Easy on-and-off when the irons are preferred.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A different solution is to scope it as the factory intended in those early years. Utilizing the two holes on the receiver and the barrel dovetail, install a pair of target scope blocks and install a Lyman 5A or Unertl/Fecker Small Game scope (or even a Unertl/Fecker target scope). (Don't let the name fool you - Small Game scopes were game scopes that were small in comparison to the target scopes, not necessarily for small game. Excellent optics that carry over nicely into the "modern" era.) The bolt handle will clear it handily. Easy on-and-off when the irons are preferred.

Another excellent option for scoping a pre-war gun Gary
Posted By: M14tn Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/08/23
Thatโ€™s an excellent rifle. I have only owned one pre war model 70, a 1939 bull gun in 300 h and h. Wish i had it back. Good find!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Tulsa find-1936 Model 70 - 04/08/23
Well done!!!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
© 24hourcampfire