Home
Posted By: Kansan Butt Pad Question - 10/07/23
Where did Winchester start offering the rubber butt plate? I have the PDF catalogs back to 1960 and they show the rubber butt plates on the African and Alaskan models. Curious when they became a regular offering.

Thanks,

Kansan
Posted By: ldg397 Re: Butt Pad Question - 10/07/23
Depends on the model I suppose. Going from memory on the model 70 I think around 1958.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Butt Pad Question - 10/07/23
Recoil pad or butt plate?
The 338, 375, 458, 264 fw, and 300 WIN mag had pads.

59 was the transition from metal to composite plates - but that took a while as existing inventory was used up.
Posted By: Kansan Re: Butt Pad Question - 10/07/23
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Recoil pad or butt plate?

I meant the rubber recoil pad....Thanks for the info.

Kansan
Posted By: iskra Re: Butt Pad Question - 10/07/23
The recoil pad was a Winchester standard feature on the .375 H&H Magnum, I believe, from prewar 70 Model inception. It was also available on standard & Super Grade lesser chambered models on order. Yet too, Winchester also allegedly cranked out periodically Super Grades with pads in latter forties as more prominent dealer shelf items.

Many quality Winchester "repro" pads can be found on their rifles either replacing original pads or standard plates. I think its fair to say few Factory original pads have remained "functionally supple" from pre '64 era under ordinarily use/stowage perspectives. I have a couple of Pre '64 Super Grade editions which have pretty horrible pads. Such as latest prevailing wisdom from Winchester Collectors Association says "keep 'em original"! A point where I disagree, yet "click heels" as "keeping rifles original".
Best!
John
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Butt Pad Question - 10/07/23
John,
The recoil pad was also standard on the chamberings/configurations I mentioned; not special order.
© 24hourcampfire