Home
Posted By: rembo Fwt rear sight question - 01/17/24
Gentlemen,

Would this be the correct rear sight for a 1955 high comb Fwt of the indicated chambering?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Fwt rear sight question - 01/18/24
Yes. Thats a Lyman 16A, used from 55-63
Posted By: 160user Re: Fwt rear sight question - 01/18/24
That appears to be a NICE rifle too! I am jealous.
Looks correct, I concur from my book
Posted By: BLR358WIN Re: Fwt rear sight question - 01/18/24
According to Rules book the 358 FWT was only offered with a low comb stock. Ive never seen one with M/C stock. Are you sure yours is not a low comb stock? should not have a pad either. Ive seen 358 Fwts with 22 G rear sights also. Very nice rifle
Posted By: beretzs Re: Fwt rear sight question - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by 160user
That appears to be a NICE rifle too! I am jealous.

I'll second that!
High comb?
Posted By: rembo Re: Fwt rear sight question - 01/18/24
Yes, it's a high comb.
It's not my rifle.
Friend of a friend has it and MIGHT be selling it.
I was doing some research and ran into conflicting information on the rear sight.
I am not a mod 70 expert. Old Gunsights book by Stroebel indicates…
Model 70 Standard…. Collectors Note: standard rear sight for Monte Carlo stocked guns was the marbles No. 69 folding rear until 1954, and the Lyman no. 16B folding lead from 1954 to 1963.
Originally Posted by rembo
Yes, it's a high comb.
It's not my rifle.
Friend of a friend has it and MIGHT be selling it.
I was doing some research and ran into conflicting information on the rear sight.

Bigger issue is if that gun should have a high comb or not.

Standard production .358 featherweights had low comb stocks (and the 22K rear).
Posted By: 99Ozarks Re: Fwt rear sight question - 01/18/24
My 358 will not shoot with that sight at a normal position. If I drop the movable slot down all the way it is close, but not on. On my first year 358 there is also a slight witness mark where the leaf sight once rested, and a small scratch where it was removed. Not the correct sight on mine.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Fwt rear sight question - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by 99Ozarks
My 358 will not shoot with that sight at a normal position. If I drop the movable slot down all the way it is close, but not on. On my first year 358 there is also a slight witness mark where the leaf sight once rested, and a small scratch where it was removed. Not the correct sight on mine.

Correct Mike, low comb 358 Fwts were issued with the 22K leaf spring sight.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Not according to Rule. The 358fwt was made for 2 years (1955-1956) and was issued with the Lyman 16a rear sight, with the low comb stock. I'm sure it is possible that some snuck out the doors with different rear sights though?
Originally Posted by LeverGunner
I am not a mod 70 expert. Old Gunsights book by Stroebel indicates…
Model 70 Standard…. Collectors Note: standard rear sight for Monte Carlo stocked guns was the marbles No. 69 folding rear until 1954, and the Lyman no. 16B folding lead from 1954 to 1963.

The rifle in question is not a "standard", it is a fwt.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Not according to Rule. The 358fwt was made for 2 years (1955-1956) and was issued with the Lyman 16a rear sight, with the low comb stock. I'm sure it is possible that some snuck out the doors with different rear sights though?

Some discrepancies on this one. Rule does indeed say that with regard to the featherweight’s in one section; yet on page 165 says:

5. Winchester Rear Sight 22K (1954-1957). This replaced the 22G and was very similar except its height was .415" (Photo 6-43) and it was used with the low combed stock while a folding leaf type was reserved for the Monte Carlo option.

The vast majority of 358s which I have seen for sale at auction or from reputable dealers show them with the 22. There is also an excellent discussion over on the Winchester collectors association of this and the gentleman who documents this type of data on individual rifles says that it is the 22.

Putting a 16 on was obviously an easy switch and most putting a scope on would have done so for ocular clearance.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire