Home
I was sharing the story of my son's first buck with my uncle over the holidays. He reminded me that this was the fourth "first" buck in our family with this particular Winchester. It's a 1947 model 94 in 25-35. My grandfather bought it used for my grandmother when they were first married. Iirc it came from New Hampshire. He was up there for a work trip and used it for their deer season.

My grandmother got her first buck in the late 50's. My uncle shot a spike when he was thirteen in the 70's. My brother used it for a small six point in 2000 when he was 12.

All summer Levi, my nine year old has been excited for this deer season. He's been doing a great job with my 243(a Kimber). But when he put on his winter coat, the LOP was a bit long. My brother suggested Levi try the 25-35. We went out every night for the first week before a deer got within range. He made a great 20 yard shot on this three point.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's a great story! Congrats to both of you
Great stuff!
Right on!
That's Outstanding! A great connection to hunting family members and a Really Great Picture!
Wow. Right on Ben. That’s about as cool as it gets!
👍👍
Thanks for the replies. I posted the pic in the first bucks thread, but figured I'd add the Winchester portion over here. He's been pretty proud of himself. He was excited to make everyone jerky.

My brother gave me a box of ammo. My grandfather loaded it back in 1997. He has been gone a while now and we were pretty close. So it was cool he could be part of the hunt in some way. He definitely would have been proud of his great grandson.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's great . I'm still using ammo loaded by my dad and grandfather in guns I inherited from them .
I never understood why the .25-35 wasn’t more popular, its a great little round. We have two of them in our immediate family, one Winchester 1894 the other is a Savage 1899.

And what a heritage with your rifle!

The look on that boy’s face says it all, he’s hooked!
Great family history.
Good stuff!
This is a great story and awesome rifle history. Thank you for passing hunting down to your son. We need more kids in the sport. Thanks for sharing it.
Absolutely outstanding!
That is so awesome, thanks for sharing.
I see M94s in 25-35 every now and then. I have only seen a couple of M99s in 25-35 and they were in poor condition. A long time ago I saw a custom Krag in 25-35, went back an hour later and it was gone
Congrads to your son! I picked up a Savage 1899 in 25-35 this November. Hunted with it after I filled my buck tag, hoping for a doe, no luck.
Great story and a very cool caliber.
That's what non hunter's don't understand! It's not about the killing. What a great honor and true trophy for a first deer. Congratulations to you and that young man. I hope he kills many more
Priceless rifle and such a cool story. Gave me goose-bumps.

Thanks for sharing!!
Great story. And what a smile on that boy!! First of many for him hope!
© 24hourcampfire