Home
Posted By: ring3 Recommended Reading - 09/30/11
I wonder what "Winchester" printed material collectors would recommend to an interested novice? I see "The Rifleman's Rifle" offered occasionally with large price tags. Anything else out there that provides accurate information?
Posted By: Odessa Re: Recommended Reading - 09/30/11
Here's a couple, there have been lot's published over the years.

The Winchester Book by George Madis - good, general reference book on pre-64 guns.

Winchester's Finest by Ned Schwing - a Model 21 reference book.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Recommended Reading - 09/30/11
Pauline Muerrle's "The way it really was" is an excellent insight inside the company.

John Campbell's " the winchester single shot" volume I and II are great for 1885 enthusiasts.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Recommended Reading - 09/30/11
The "riflemans rifle" is a must have if you're into pre 64 model 70's, you can get the current soft cover from Roger Rule for around $79, a good value for all the info thats in there.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Recommended Reading - 09/30/11
Originally Posted by ring3
Anything else out there that provides accurate information?

Winchester Shotguns by Dennis Adler / Excellent overview of all Win shotguns.
Posted By: 30WCF Re: Recommended Reading - 10/01/11
Winchester Complete by Bill West, A complete, detailed, illustrated description of each variety, of each type, of each model of Winchesdter firearms produced between 1866 and 1967. (As stated on front cover). Best reference book on Winchester firearms that I am aware of.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Recommended Reading - 10/01/11
Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope to find some of these online and/or at the library.
Posted By: balltownbob Re: Recommended Reading - 10/04/11
Dean Whitaker's book on the Model 70 is also an interesting read....

Any of Ned Schwing's books...

Clyde Williamson's book on lever actions has lots of loading data and helpful commentary on shooting the old levers...

Arthur Pirkle's books on several of the levers contains invaluable info to assist those interested in originality...
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: Recommended Reading - 10/04/11
The Winchester Book, by George Madis is what I started on.
© 24hourcampfire