Home
Posted By: yar post 64 winchester 88 find. - 10/01/11
Recently purchased a model 88 1973 vintage 308 win. This thing is mint, a real safe queen. The previous owner passed away and his son sold it to a local gun shop. He claimed his father used it once and it sat in the gun cabinet ever since. This thing is a beaut. I always wanted one but had been looking for a pre 64 version, always assuming that the post 64 were inferior to earlier production models. From what can see the fit and finish of this fine example is nice,I understand the checkering is pressed vs. hand cut but it seems from what I read the later models may have are superior in that they worked any kinks out as far as the operating system. whats your opinions on this. Thanks in advance for your response.
Posted By: TomA Re: post 64 winchester 88 find. - 10/01/11
I thought after 1964 the checking was changed to an Oak Leaf/basket weave pattern. What is the serial #?.
Posted By: yar Re: post 64 winchester 88 find. - 10/01/11
It was. The one I have has oak leaf/ basket weave pattern.
Posted By: Loggah Re: post 64 winchester 88 find. - 10/01/11
It probably didn't work for schit for the original owner and got stuffed into the the closet!!! they never got all the bugs out of them including recalls for trigger work!! Don
Posted By: yar Re: post 64 winchester 88 find. - 10/01/11
possibly,never considered that.
Posted By: Odessa Re: post 64 winchester 88 find. - 10/01/11
Lousy triggers, sloppy actions, hard to seat magazines, inaccurate - real deer repellers I'd say. I will give you $75.00 for it! My junker accidentally shot this deer (I was aiming at a rabbit 35 yards to the right of the deer and the deer was only 100 yards from me - imagine that). Oh well, had a tag and used it so I wouldn't get in trouble. This M88 is a 1963, transition version (old action, new style stock).

Ps Stay out of cotton fields, everyone knows deer don't eat cotton and boycott the fields.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Odessa
Lousy triggers, sloppy actions, hard to seat magazines, inaccurate - real deer repellers I'd say. I will give you $75.00 for it! My junker accidentally shot this deer (I was aiming at a rabbit 35 yards to the right of the deer and the deer was only 100 yards from me - imagine that). Oh well, had a tag and used it so I wouldn't get in trouble. This M88 is a 1963, transition version (old action, new style stock).

Ps Stay out of cotton fields, everyone knows deer don't eat cotton and boycott the fields.

[Linked Image]

Very nice! Did you shoot him head on?
My Dad was very successful with his and harvested a great many deer with it. I'm not saying it didn't jam most the time on him - it did, but fortunately he was usually pretty good on his first shot. As far as accuracy, we're talking deep Minnesota woods here and the majority of his shots were in the vicinity of 50 yards.
© 24hourcampfire