Home
All:

I have a line on a 1950 Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06. Condition is about 80-85% wood and metal. All original except the rear sight is wrong and front sight hood and swivels are missing. Comes with Redfield bases. Is $1100 a fair price?

Thank you,
Jeff
Sounds reasonable. What defects knock the wood/metal to 80%? Honest wear? or are there signs of abuse?
Gettin' kinda high for a messed with rifle in a common caliber in that condition. Your talking a hunting gun, not a collector.
No abuse just use. Most of the bluing on the floorplate is gone and the wood is a little dull in spots. I know it isnt a collector, but would make a hell of a hunting rifle with lots of class. I was kind of hard on it I think. Metal is 85% and wood is probably 85-90%. Gun is all original other than what I mentioned in the OP.

RAS

I bet the stock alone would bring $750 if all original and no mods. Floorplate, another $150-200, Front sight if origininal $75-100. Makes for a pretty cheap pre 64 action if nothing else! I would jump on it.
Steve
Heck, that's the price of many standard grades these days.
In the condition you describe $1100 sounds like a steal. YOu say it isn't a collector but it is even if it isn't in 100% condition. FYI to get correct swivels will set you back about $150.
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Gettin' kinda high for a messed with rifle in a common caliber in that condition. Your talking a hunting gun, not a collector.

Where did you pull that out of???...Doesn't sound "messed with" to me.....I'd jump on it....
I personally would not hesitate....very good buy.
Yeah, that's pretty much a steal. I've seen rifles in that condition go for double that.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MichiganScott

Where did you pull that out of???...Doesn't sound "messed with" to me.....I'd jump on it....

"All original except the rear sight is wrong and front sight hood and swivels are missing."

As mentioned, you'll need $150-200 for the swivels, additional for a sight hood, additional for the rear sight,etc.

It would be worth $1500 or more if complete. Although it would make a classy rifle for hunting, the problem as I see it is you still need to put swivels on it. I doubt you'd want to use Uncle Mikes.

If RAS undergraded it in his original post as he later corrected, $1100 is reasonable. I just don't consider it a steal.
I'd buy it at that price.

Rod
Plop down the cash and run.
Ok, I will get it and post pictures hopefully tomorrow. Now go to the classifieds and buy one of my scopes to help fund it. smile

Jeff
Good man, I look forward to checking it out...Don't sweat the small parts, those can be found...... wink...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good man, I look forward to checking it out...Don't sweat the small parts, those can be found...... wink...

+1. Putting the small stuff together is half the fun. Definately worth that price. Although a common caliber, the Super Grades are never common. Looking forward to the pics.
© 24hourcampfire