Home
Posted By: Raeford Model 63-cleaning - 11/15/12
I have inherited[actually stolen] a Winchester 63 from my father. When I took it from my father it needed a firing pin. I had a friend that was a gunsmith that repaired and cleaned this gun for me some years ago. He had an interest in the gun so he helped with it beyond the firing pin repair. He has since deceased and the gun needs cleaning. I really plan to clean it up and put it away for safe keeping at this point now that my son has other guns to shoot of his own. But honestly, I don't want to mess this gun up. And seeing how it is the only semi-auto I have besides a Glock I have no clue how best to clean it up barrell wise. I shutter at the thought of breaking it down.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Model 63-cleaning - 11/15/12
I have the Taurus version of this. Pretty much identical gun.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Model 63-cleaning - 11/15/12
Thanks for the link TRH.
I guess everything is on YT!!
Originally Posted by Raeford
Thanks for the link TRH.
I guess everything is on YT!!
grin Just about.

Are you old enough to remember when, if you wanted to know something, you had to spend an afternoon at the library, and that was often just a starting point to a long journey? grin

Today, just YouTube or Google it, and those too young to remember don't appreciate what they have.

Remember these?

[Linked Image]

Until recently, you could buy these obsolete pieces of furniture for a song. Now you will pay about a grand for one in reasonable condition. They're now pricy classics.
Posted By: Claybirds Re: Model 63-cleaning - 11/16/12
Thanks for posting video, it will come in handy.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Model 63-cleaning - 01/05/13
That's a great link for a very thorough cleaning. I, too, have the Taurus version. But for typical shooting buildup, I just break the rifle apart into the two halves. The stock side is easy to do - just some solvent and a brush, compressed air and you're good to go. For the receiver side, I'll lock open the action and give it a good spray with solvent and a brush, next with brake cleaner spray, and finish up with compressed air and a light oiling. Usually with a good synthetic CLP-type product.

© 24hourcampfire