Home
Posted By: sonvolt The new Model 70s (Portugal) - 02/13/14
Not getting any takers on this on the Hunting Rifles forum and not finding this on the search function either, so I'll ask here. ... How are the new (2013-) Winchester Model 70s being received (the ones fabricated in SC, assembled in Portugal)? I'm looking at one of the Featherweight Grade 3 models and from the pics, it looks great. What are owners finding in terms of fit, finish, accuracy? Any of you guys bought or looked at one?

Thanks,
DeWayne
Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the Portugal 70's are at the dealers yet. I know I haven't seen any.
I'm seeing some on Gunbroker - they're still touting "100% Made in USA" but the barrel markings are "BACO Inc. Morgan, Utah" which says "Assembled in Portugal" to me. Maybe they're just not out there widely enough yet for folks to have first-hand experience.
Posted By: Kitch Re: The new Model 70s (Portugal) - 02/13/14
I don't think Morgan, Utah correlates to Made in Portugal.
Posted By: 79S Re: The new Model 70s (Portugal) - 02/13/14
I buy one it's a winchester
Posted By: Kitch Re: The new Model 70s (Portugal) - 02/13/14
Just to expound on the Portugal thing, FN owns Browning and trademarks Winchester from Olin. The rifles are made in SC and the corporate headquarters are in Utah.
Interesting, thanks. I just assumed that once Winchester announced in 2012 that assembly was moving to Portugal, that a gun produced in 2013 would have a lot of trans-Atlantic flying time under its belt.
Posted By: ingwe Re: The new Model 70s (Portugal) - 02/13/14
If it does theres a number of Brownings that have been assembled in Portugal for years, and no one has had issues with them�.
The people that have "issues" with Browning don't buy them. I have issues with any company that markets primarily to the US, but won't build it here. BACO already has proven they can make quality rifles in NC. They pull it offshore, phug 'em.
How many times you guys need to be told.......they stopped making the M70 in 1964 and they ain't made it since. frown smile

So let them assemble whatever they want, wherever they want,and call it whatever they want...if it's a decent rifle and it works and shoots good ....who cares? smile

But whatever it is......it ain't a M70. whistle
Originally Posted by Kitch
I don't think Morgan, Utah correlates to Made in Portugal.

It's not. They've been marked that way since 2008..
Originally Posted by BobinNH
How many times you guys need to be told.......they stopped making the M70 in 1964 and they ain't made it since. frown smile

So let them assemble whatever they want, wherever they want,and call it whatever they want...if it's a decent rifle and it works and shoots good ....who cares? smile

But whatever it is......it ain't a M70. whistle

I agree Bob. No truer words have been spoken...
Have a featherweight compact coming in a few days, interested to see what the barrel marking says.....
It's going to say BACO. Morgan Utah....The parts are made in the US, but assembled in Portugal.. If it is not, please let us know...
Not much worried about quality issues but admittedly do not understand how they are saving money not assembling where they are made vice the price of shipping to portugal and then shipping to a dealer.
Taking jobs away from American workers is what pisses me off.
Agreed.
Well, if they are like Browning HiPowers, they will say "Made in USA, Assembled in Portugal". HiPowers have been assembled in Portugal for many years. I don't have any Portugal HiPowers, all of mine are "pure" Belgium, but I believe they say "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal" on them.
"...do not understand how they are saving money not assembling where they are made vice the price of shipping to portugal and then shipping to a dealer." Some kind of Byzantine EU trade reg?
Google. "labor rates in other countries"

hourly cost of manufacturing in the US: $35.67
hourly cost of manufacturing in Portugal: $12.10

I'm guessing assembly is the most labor intensive part of manufacturing a rifle. 24 bucks an hour pays a lot of freight
bsa: I'm just bustin' balls... smile

The FN guns are pretty darned nice.
I used to think so too Bob, but it seems like their quality has sluffed off a bit as of late. My 2008 limited edition fwt is pretty damned nice wink
Could you elaborate on the quality sluffing off? The rifle I'm thinking about is '13 production ... anything quality-wise to look for?
Posted By: RGK Re: The new Model 70s (Portugal) - 02/14/14
It may not be a pre-64 (nothing is close), but I will buy a new, Portuguese-assembled M70 when they make a lefty. A lefty Supergrade in .30-06 would be a nice addition. Probably not happening anytime soon, though.
Bob
Posted By: Kitch Re: The new Model 70s (Portugal) - 02/14/14
It seems Winchester speak with forked tongue. From what I read on their facebook page they're admitting they're assembled in Portugal but no mention of that on their website.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=287
Does this offshore assembly include putting the two piece bolts together, three if you count the handle?
© 24hourcampfire