Home
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459134966

Beautiful rifle. Seems reasonable for a custom from a noted builder like Goens.
South Berwick? 45minutes away...think I will run up there and buy it! grin

Had two Goens...both 270's. Lovely rifles. Doug you should grab that.

What is the Buy It Now price?
I'm thinking on it Bob.

$3750....no reserve...no buy now.
If you are serious I would ask for his phone # and give him a call. The last 2 purchases I made I called and struck a deal to buy direct. No bid = he can end the auction with no penalty.
[Linked Image]

Current Bid $0.00 No Reserve! Started at $3,750.00

shocked
Holy chit, that's a beautiful rifle. I'd love to have that one!!!!
Originally Posted by tmitch
Beautiful rifle. Seems reasonable for a custom from a noted builder like Goens.

Seems reasonable? We don't know what it's going to sell for. I'll be watching it though..
Bob: I had a Goens in .300 Win Mag. ...lovely rifles indeed...

My only issue is I need a longer LOP. Recoil pad is 3/4" according to the seller.

With a one inch pad I'd get about 13 3/4....which I can make work.
I didn't notice the first time through, looks like it's made on an H&H action.
You're right BSA, if a couple folks with deep pockets start bidding you never know where it'll top out. If I were seriously considering it, I'd be on the phone with the seller before a bid comes in. Outa my league though
It's a nice build tmitch. Let's keep BobinNH away from bidding on it. He probably has deeper pockets than most of us here laugh. Should we start a bet on how much it's going to sell for??? I say $5,000.00. I'd much rather have something like this than the Gene Simillian 338 that was in the classifieds. Oh wait, I already have one like that whistle ..
bsa if it were sitting in a store at $3750 I'd likely grab it but I hate chasing stuff at auctions. I would think that between $5-$6 k is reasonable for that rifle but you never know.

I am not interested because I have a Len Brownell 7 mag very much like it.

Looks like a pre war H&H action to me. I knew Goens and spoke with him quite a bit. He built one rifle for me. I still have a Lawrence brand scabbard that I traded him for an action. He was a good guy and excellent stock maker.
I've reached an agreement to purchase at $3750 shipped.
Beautiful score and a very nice rifle! Congrats!
Well gents....I spoke to the seller on the phone.

Turns out the rifle is not marked as being made by Goens i and the seller does not have any paperwork to support it is a Goens rifle.

Are congrats still in order, where does that leave you? It's obviously a top of the line custom but with no provenance to Goens how did the seller justify advertising as such? The checkering pattern?
Seller states he had members of the ACGG look the rifle over and they believe it to be a Goens. The seller, whom I believe to be an honest individual, believes the rifle to have been rebarrelled at some point to the 7 Mag from either a 300/375 H&H and that's why the barrel isn't marked as a Goens normally would be.

I'm thinking on it. Still a quality build, but without provenance the rifle is indeed a Goens....

Thoughts?
Tough call. Even without a solid Goens connection, it's a fine quality build that couldn't be replicated at anything close to that cost.
I have decided to pass gents.

On a no doubt Goens, this is a no brainer.

However, considering the lack of provenance,I'm more likely to send $3750 to Gary Goudy along with a stick of English I have here.
Doug interesting story with a little drama. It surely looks like a Goens to me and if it isn't it was made by someone who knew what they were doing.

His stock shaping is pretty distinctive; in the same way a Biesen can be. Could not come close to having the rifle built for that money.
Seller has offered it to me at $3200 shipped. .......counter offer?
I think it is easily worth $3,000.00 buddy. Even without the documentation. I'd agree with Bob on this one. Damn beautiful rifle!!!
I passed again fellas.

Seller relisted at $3495.....but did not change the ad to reflect he has no proof this is actually a Goens.
I don't blame you Doug....we like to see that name on it.

But if that ain't a Goens, I'll eat it. grin
If I had the extra money, I'd be all over it for $3,200.00!!!! It's obvious that it was built by a very talented individual. I've seen some questionable "Biesen's" with no documentation. However, When they are that obvious, I'd surely run the other way. This one is more than likely a Goens built rifle..
bsa, since Doug took a pass,the only thing holding me back, is the chambering. I am up to my whazzoo in 7mm magnums.

The damned thing is only 45 minutes away LOL!
Yeah, I figured it was close to you Bob. I also know you have a chit load of 7mm's. Someone else probably needs this one more than you do laugh
You can bet on it. I sure don't need it. smile
Wait a minute, what's "need" have to do with it?!? So close to Christmas and you guys are thowin' around a four letter word like that. Shame on you! shocked
Now go buy that thing Bob. How often does a Goens stocked H&H actioned M70 rifle show up 45 minute from your house?

Am I helpin out here? grin
Bob's been up all night long thinking about it... laugh
Originally Posted by tmitch
Wait a minute, what's "need" have to do with it?!? So close to Christmas and you guys are thowin' around a four letter word like that. Shame on you! shocked
Now go buy that thing Bob. How often does a Goens stocked H&H actioned M70 rifle show up 45 minute from your house?

Am I helpin out here? grin

Enablers. smile

Nope guys I will resist. I have a very nice Len Brownell sitting here in 7RM and he was by a narrow margin a favorite custom maker of mine.If it were chambered differently I might consider.

twitch you would be surpassed how many Goens rifles ended up here in New England. I had several former friends and acquaintances who owned them and for a custom rifle they were actually fairly common too see ere back in the day in one or two shops.

I have owned two; both 270's and shot them in 30/06 and 375 H&H as well.Those belonged to friends. A former NRA president, a Massachusetts guy, had a Goens on a pre 64 action chambered 284 and I looked at that rifle many times.

Goens ,Biesen, Pilkington and others were no strangers to these parts.
Bob.... much like you.... Very nice rifle for sure. I already own the only 7mag I need. Burgess/Miliron grin
Whitebird.....that rifle needs its own thread with photos!!!
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Let me see what I can do about that. cool
I only have 1 7mm rem mag as well. Excellent for hunting, but damn sure not a beauty queen like this rifle. One day, I'll have a nice custom. Owning a rifle from one of the true American custom gunmakers guild would be extremely cool.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I only have 1 7mm rem mag as well. Excellent for hunting, but damn sure not a beauty queen like this rifle. One day, I'll have a nice custom. Owning a rifle from one of the true legends of the American custom gunmakers guild would be extremely cool.

Fixt it for you.... laugh
Yes Cliff. He damn sure is a legend. Like Bob has said before, you can spot a Biesen form clear across a room. The same can be said for a Goen's rifle. His stock work (like Biesen's) was beyond words. To me, it reaches out to you in a way...
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Let me see what I can do about that. cool

+1. I'd love to see it too. Thanks...
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Enablers. smile

A fella's gotta be good at something! I have to spend other peoples money because I already spent all mine. whistle
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Bob.... much like you.... Very nice rifle for sure. I already own the only 7mag I need. Burgess/Miliron grin

Whitebird: Burgess/Milliron....it does not get much better than that.

bsa I used to take the Goens and stick in a saddle scabbard on deer and elk hunts. Dale would get pissed if you told him you planned on making it a safe queen. He built them to hunt. So did Biesen and Brownell.

tmitch: Laffin......There are wives out there that won't let their husbands hang out with me. Too dangerous. smile
tmitch: Laffin......There are wives out there that won't let their husbands hang out with me. Too dangerous. smile

Funny, I've heard that said about me too! And something about a bad influence, whatever that is. Gas? sick
Bump! What happened to this rifle?
Still for sale. Seller lowered the reserve twice, now at $3295.
Sounds like your rifle Doug! grin
If it was a certified Goens, I would have bought it already!

Maybe I'll but it and rechamber to a mo better 7 mag!

This rifle has come up before as a topic.

I remember this picture of a knot in the stock right where you look.

[Linked Image]

The price is too high for a 'maybe' name gun.

Originally Posted by Savage_99

The price is too high for a 'maybe' name gun.

Savage, I agree. I made the seller an offer that I was comfortable with, he declined.

It will be interesting to see if this sells, and at what price.
The rifle is excellent however the fluer de lis are a little big.

The wood is good.

It's up to the seller/owner to provide convincing proof it's a name rifle.

[Linked Image]

While many can afford it, it is after all only money I could not brag about the deal.

You did right to make an offer. What with this net there will be another one.
I'm sure not trying to enable anyone to buy this rifle; but just as a point of conversation,you couldn't come close to replacing it for $3200 bucks today. If the Name "Dale Goens" was on it, the price would be more like $5-$6k.

I've seen more dough shelled out for some stuff that passes for custom today. That's a quality rifle.

I still think it's a Goens. Matter of fact I am about 90% certain of it. whistle ...but whatever just talking out loud. smile
I'm sure not trying to enable anyone to buy this rifle; but just as a point of conversation,you couldn't come close to replacing it for $3200 bucks today. If the Name "Dale Goens" was on it, the price would be more like $5-$6k.

I've seen more dough shelled out for some stuff that passes for custom today. That's a quality rifle.

I still think it's a Goens. Matter of fact I am about 90% certain of it. whistle ...but whatever just talking out loud. smile

I have bought custom rifles better than the topic for much less.

This one was $550.00 with a 2-7 Leupold scope on a pre-64 M70 action and bottom metal.

It's a 300 Win Mag and has no knots in it's stock right where I look at it.

[Linked Image]

Good for you.

Who made the one you own and how do you know it's "better"?
[Linked Image]
Good for you.

I know because I am a purchasing manager! cool

Your custom cost: "Still for sale. Seller lowered the reserve twice, now at $3295." grin
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Good for you.

I know because I am a purchasing manager! cool

Your custom cost: "Still for sale. Seller lowered the reserve twice, now at $3295." grin

You have not even seen the rifle in the flesh...so what you know about what's "better" would fit under a thumbtack.

Buzz off.
[Linked Image]

On another note, here is a nice rifle some may enjoy viewing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459341575

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

LD
Sold for $3295.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
On another note, here is a nice rifle some may enjoy viewing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459341575

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

LD

His buy now price amounts euphoric dream. Very nice custom Winslow or early Weatherby both made on commercial FN Mauser action can be had for a lot less. Almost nobody would want pre-64 Winchester like that. From functional perspective the scope and mount are junk and pad will likely have to be replaced. Last time I seen setup like that was more powerful B&L on top of minty Shultz & Larsen in 7x61. The price was very reasonable $600. The rifle was in excellent condition but I had to pass due to caliber. I do not reload and will never want to.
Here is the rifle you mentioned.

[Linked Image] That stock is not what I would accept.

smirk Is the caliber marked "300 Magnum" ?

[Linked Image]

What is it chambered for?
Honestly on that questionable Goens I have seen lesser quality rifles go for much more that what it sold for.
Yup.
CAUTION******* This same gun is listed on another site for 1700.oo This site is full of scams..... I call it scam list....
This 7mm Goens is listed on Armslist for 1200. the seller responded ..SCAM!!

http://www.armslist.com/posts/38623...er-pre-64-war-model-70-dale-goens-custom

the seller is tagged loandeal
© 24hourcampfire