Home
Posted By: GSPfan Brass needed - 03/16/15
I just bought a Pre 64 70 in a caliber I have wanted for a long time. A .300 Savage BUT there is no brass to be found on any of the major retailers, Graff, Midway USA, Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse ect.

If anyone here has brass they would be willing to sell or can think of a place I haven't looked it will be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Brass needed - 03/17/15
Someone on the Savage Collectors Forum may be able to help you....
Posted By: Razz Re: Brass needed - 03/17/15
Buffalo Arms is expecting some March 24 if you don't find any sooner.
Posted By: reelman Re: Brass needed - 03/17/15
Let's see see some pictures!!!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Brass needed - 03/17/15
Thanks for the tips. This is really the only forum I look at on the site and didn't think of the Savage collectors.

Reelman IF I knew how to post pics here I would. Actually it won't be here until Thursday.
Posted By: HawaiiPD Re: Brass needed - 03/17/15
Kaneohe Gun Shop on Oahu has 2-3 boxes of factory 300 Savage loaded ammo. Pics here

http://www.kaneohegs.com/inventory.htm
Thanks. I think shipping would be expensive
Posted By: reelman Re: Brass needed - 03/17/15
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Thanks. I think shipping would be expensive

You just bought perhaps one of the most expensive M70's, I don't think the shipping will be that bad! LOL!
Loaded brass is almost always 180gr bullets and I'll probably go with something like 150 to 165 depending on the rifle. I can buy loaded ammo locally. I just saw a 300 Savage carbine on line now that's expnsive smile

Posted By: southwind Re: Brass needed - 03/18/15
gunbroker
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Brass needed - 03/18/15
Lots of ways to make 300 Savage brass.
Posted By: battue Re: Brass needed - 03/18/15
The internet may be you friend. Look around.

I need some .338Federal brass and didn't look all that hard and then today at LG Outdoors in Alabama some popped up. They didn't have brass, but did have 139 boxes of loaded 185gr fusion. So I picked up 10 boxes. Shipping wasn't all that bad at $16 something and the price per box was more than fair. Eventually I'll have 100 rounds of once fired.

I asked them if they had any .300Savage, but unfortunately they didn't.

Dig around and call. Someone has it.

Call Federal, Winchester, Hornaday, etc and they may be able to tell you who has some on the shelf.
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: Brass needed - 03/18/15
I ran across some loaded factory a while back and knew if I bought it I would have to find a gun for it. I cannot remember what gr ammo it was. If its priced right you want it? I think my gunsmith has some... very best winpoor
Posted By: reelman Re: Brass needed - 03/18/15
Buy the loaded ammo and shoot it up if you can't find brass, I've done it several times on odd ball calibers. Tell us more about your 300.
Sinclairs website says they have Remington 150gr CL.
Originally Posted by southwind
gunbroker

Yep wink
Posted By: yooper35 Re: Brass needed - 03/21/15
Here's GSPfan's pre-64 M70 300 Savage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not one you'll see in every gun shop.
yooper
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Brass needed - 03/21/15
That's a treasure....
Posted By: reelman Re: Brass needed - 03/21/15
And a transition at that! The best era of M70's. The barrel looks rather dull, do you think it's been re-finished or is it just the picture?
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Brass needed - 03/22/15
I don't think it's been refinished it's the picture. I'm no photographer for sure. It feels great in my hands, now to get it scoped and sighted in.

My thanks to John for posting the pictures.
Posted By: reelman Re: Brass needed - 03/22/15
Can't tell from the picture but it is drilled and tapped on the front receiver bridge right?
Yes it's drilled and tapped for a scope. It dates to 1947. Now to find just the right scope, perhaps a classic older Leupold 2X7 or perhaps a fixed 6X.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Brass needed - 03/22/15
That looks like a stainless barrell...
Nope not stainless. I think the light just washed out the picture somewhat.
Posted By: Zeus77 Re: Brass needed - 03/29/15
Originally Posted by GSPfan

If anyone here has brass they would be willing to sell or can think of a place I haven't looked it will be appreciated.

Thanks

I need to look in my ammo cans BUT....somwhere, I have 13 or so very clean, once fired cases. I know its not much, but I would guess a few is better than none. If you would like to have them, PM me your mailing address and tomorrow I will dig them out and send them to you in Monday's mail (no charge).

Zeus
Posted By: Youper Re: Brass needed - 04/05/15
Even before Obama scare #1 it was seasonal production. It was usually available starting about August. Now who knows.
© 24hourcampfire