Home
Posted By: GSPfan Pre war vs post war - 04/06/16
When your looking at a M70 is it important that it's a pre war gun? were these made any better than say from 1945-1958? I look at the pre war guns as more in the collector venue as I can't shoot one with the iron sights as my eyes aren't as young as they once were therefore if I can't use it I don't need it.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/06/16
I like a well used unaltered prewar as a thing of beauty. I would much rather hunt with a scoped high comb and later. To me 1949 and 1950 were the cream; they got them right for scopes but still had the early workmanship and wood!
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/06/16
I like the Transition guns best. Pre war quality with the post war receiver.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/06/16
Where's reelman. He likes the transitions best too... I like the ones made after '52, when they started using high comb stocks for scope use. After 52, they brought out the featherweights too, which really are the cream of the crop if you are into great hunting rifles... wink
Posted By: balltownbob Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/06/16
Pre-war rifles were rust-blued, had 20 lpi checkering and better wood finish, all as a result of more hands-on time spent on each rifle than was put forth on the post-war rifles...

Many pre-war guns succumbed to the need to D&T the rear receiver to accommodate readily available scope bases. Many also had the G&H side mount installed which Winchester would furnish but provenance supporting same not surviving.

IMO, a minty, original pre-war rifle is the pinnacle of the M70 world....
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/07/16
Mr GSP, You have the best of both worlds! That transition! I regret letting that one go, BUT I know you will let me have it back one day, the only damn GOV'T we can trust! VB WINPOOR
Posted By: reelman Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/07/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Where's reelman. He likes the transitions best too... I like the ones made after '52, when they started using high comb stocks for scope use. After 52, they brought out the featherweights too, which really are the cream of the crop if you are into great hunting rifles... wink

I'm here! I do like Transitions the best as IMO they have the quality of the Pre-Wars with the ability of mounting scopes and actually using them of the post wars.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/07/16
I have two transition gun an 06 and a 300 Savage. Both are fine rifles. Most of my M70's fall in the early to mid 50's era of production. One of the Hornets might be a transition gun but I'm not sure I'll have to look.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/07/16
I like prewars, mine are equipped with Tilden safeties and wear Lyman Alaskan scopes in Stith mounts. The quality of the walnut along with the fine checkering and the rust blued metal make them some of the finest sporting rifles this country ever produced. True classics from a bygone age, proudly made in America by men who were craftsmen.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/07/16
To me it would be one with "Monte Carlo" stock and checkered metal butt plate. I would not accept one with low comb stock which is not optimal for modern scope mounting.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/07/16
Always had a thing for the classic look of a regular comb stock on a pre war M70....
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/07/16
I completely agree, Ted. From a strictly aesthetic point of view, I think the pre war stock is the most handsome ever on a bolt action rifle. Not the best for a scope but it wasn't intended to be. Just about every gun maker in the world tried to copy it. And it points like the finger of death!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/08/16
The stock is my biggest issue with the pre war guns. They don't lend themselves well to scope mounting. Sure you can use a stith mount but I prefer the more modern scopes.
Posted By: battue Re: Pre war vs post war - 04/08/16
Place some milk jugs at varying ranges from 50-100 yards and with a peep you may be surprised how well you can do.
© 24hourcampfire