Home
Posted By: beretzs M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
I got some pictures of my 7mm MSM.. Gotta say I'm pretty excited to get it into my paws.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can't wait to get it out and form some cases up.
Posted By: Dogger Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
nice
Posted By: gunner500 Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
Sweet, looks much better here than on that bandaide sized screen on my flip phone. grin

Midway has the excellent Hornady 300 Win Mag cases in stock, thinking bout getting some of them for my 300, the W-W brass has about had it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
Gunner, I'm going to try some RWS "I think".. supposed to be real tough stuff and since I have never worn a piece of Hornady brass out in my old MSM I think the initial investment might pay for itself.

Saying that, Hornady 300 Win Mag has worked really darned well for good accurate loads. It might be a coin toss...
Posted By: keystoneben Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
Looks pretty sweet, what action did you use?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
Looks like a Pre '64 M 70 action.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Yup... I can't remember the year of manufacture but it was gone thru pretty well. Would have used a Classic in a heartbeat but I was able to snag this for the same money.. Ol Bob said it's a no brainer then!
And thank you for the compliments. Can't wait to hunt it.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yup... I can't remember the year of manufacture but it was gone thru pretty well. Would have used a Classic in a heartbeat but I was able to snag this for the same money.. Ol Bob said it's a no brainer then!

Sounds good, any idea what scope you plan on mounting?
Posted By: TDN Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
Beautiful set-up!

Posted By: southtexas Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
Looks like a sweet rig! Apologize for the ignorant question, but what is MSM?
Originally Posted by keystoneben

Sounds good, any idea what scope you plan on mounting?

It'll get the 3x9 SS HD I've got hanging around right now.

Originally Posted by TDN
Beautiful set-up!

Thank you

Originally Posted by southtexas
Looks like a sweet rig! Apologize for the ignorant question, but what is MSM?

It's the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum. Pretty similar to a 7-300 Win Mag.
Posted By: southtexas Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/22/17
Thanks. Look forward to hearing you results.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/23/17
beretzs,

Details on the barrel and bottom metal?
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/23/17
very nice hunting rig there! looking forward to pics of targets and game animals.
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/23/17
It's a Bartlein 1B that was contoured a little to a Krieger #2, 1-8 twist and finished at 25".

I went with Blackburn BM on this one.

Hope to put an elk or deer under it this fall..
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/23/17
Nice!

Edge or regular fill in that Legend?

What does it weigh?
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Nice!

Edge or regular fill in that Legend?

What does it weigh?

It's an Edge fill and weighs 6lbs 12ozs as it sits.

To be totally honest, I copied Bobs rifle for the most part. Mine has an inch longer barrel but that is about it. I figured why recreate the wheel. His was excellent as it was.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/23/17
Gunner, I'm going to try some RWS "I think".. supposed to be real tough stuff and since I have never worn a piece of Hornady brass out in my old MSM I think the initial investment might pay for itself.

Saying that, Hornady 300 Win Mag has worked really darned well for good accurate loads. It might be a coin toss...

Damn, 10-4, I'd nearly commit unjustified homicide for a big bag of RWS 300 Win Mag brass. smile
Originally Posted by gunner500

Damn, 10-4, I'd nearly commit unjustified homicide for a big bag of RWS 300 Win Mag brass. smile

We shall see buddy. I hope it's worth the money.
This is gonna be a sweet shooting rig, I can already feel it.

Well, I have handled copies before and couldn't see where I should try to "fix" them.... it's as close to a modern Hagel rifle as we could dream up.
Oughta be a banger Scotty.
Posted By: stealthgoat Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/24/17
That is really nice!

sorry but I missed the build info, who is the smith?
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/24/17
Kevin Weaver out of Colorado did the work.

Great guy to deal with.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/25/17
I'm late to the party on this. Awesome rifle buddy!!!!!! Pure sweetness there. Looks like an H&H magnum receiver there. If it is, you'll be happy you went that route on this build. Much like my 338wm. Probably holds 4 in the box too. Let us know how she shoots: With pictures of targets (please). I know you like posting those pics over at the Nosler forum laugh.. I'm sure it will be a tack driver. What pills are you going to run??? Should put the smack down on an elk for sure. Thanks for sharing..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/25/17

Well, I have handled copies before and couldn't see where I should try to "fix" them.... it's as close to a modern Hagel rifle as we could dream up.

A+ on the build man. Hard to improve on that one. Bob sure would have liked it.. The more I look at the legend, the more it makes me want to fu ck one up and order one with a left hand cheek piece... laugh
Posted By: stealthgoat Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/25/17
I agree, the more I look at it that is a really nice build.

....I just remembered a Weaver Custom 'G Classic' in a Legend stock maybe a year ago that I really wanted bad, fantastic rifle, but I was too slow and it sold....
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/27/17
I'm pretty sure 175 Partitions will get the first run.

Gotta fire form 50 cases first so that'll take me a little while. Should let me get it zeroed up decently and ready for the hunting loads.

Thank you all for the comments. I should have it in hand this week.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/28/17
cool
Posted By: xzqvvh Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/30/17
Very nice rifle. What OAL will you load the 175 to? I have been looking at the drop figures for the 175 Part. and it looks really good. I am going to load up some for mine using 74 H1000 and try 3.513 OAL to start. I like how the 175 at 3000 fps kicks less than the 160 Part at over 3200 fps in my MSM. Randy
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/30/17
Randy, I think in my old gun I was around 3.500"ish.

They flat hammer elk at 3050. I used the 175 BBCs last fall but shots 2 and 3 in the Mag were PTs.. never needed them but I have little doubt they would have done the same.

I'll probably load the new gun starting around .010" off and work back from there. Seemed to work good on the old rifle. This one should only be better.
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/31/17
Finally got the rifle in my hands today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: M70 7mm MSM - 03/31/17
I like how it says BobinNH.... He would have loved that too. This place isn't going to be the same with him gone... Scotty, did you go with graphite black on the cerakote, or is it a different coating??
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/02/17
Got the scope mounted up in TPS alloys. Nice rings, I believe I'll use them again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/02/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I like how it says BobinNH.... He would have loved that too. This place isn't going to be the same with him gone... Scotty, did you go with graphite black on the cerakote, or is it a different coating??

Matte finish Midnight Blue. It's pretty dark but up close it's lighter than my graphite black rifles.

Bob kicked butt. Miss that old boy.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/02/17
Awesome rifle Scotty. Looks great. Scope and rings look great too. Let us know how she shoots. I bet it will drive tacks....
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/02/17
Tag
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/05/17
Late to the thread, but she came out beautiful. Midnight blue on the cerakote is fantastic. End to end I don't think you could have made a better decision anywhere. Now go ventilate a buncha critters...

Excellent tribute to Bob by the way. He would have appreciated it greatly I'm sure, especially laying across a bruiser bull.

Will hopefully be picking up some new top end tactical meopta glass shortly to compare against the Schmidts on mine. Can't wait to see your range reports.
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/06/17
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Late to the thread, but she came out beautiful. Midnight blue on the cerakote is fantastic. End to end I don't think you could have made a better decision anywhere. Now go ventilate a buncha critters...

Excellent tribute to Bob by the way. He would have appreciated it greatly I'm sure, especially laying across a bruiser bull.

Will hopefully be picking up some new top end tactical meopta glass shortly to compare against the Schmidts on mine. Can't wait to see your range reports.

Thank you. Just as soon as I get a break in the weather I plan on getting it out and getting some formed cases ready for the real load work. I am half thinking if it shoots as good as the old rechambered M70 this rifle replaced load work will be short and give me plenty of time to shoot it long this year.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/06/17
Got the scope mounted up in TPS alloys. Nice rings, I believe I'll use them again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Why am I continually seeing this rifle leaned against a small aspen and Beretz shoulder deep gutting a bull Elk? smile
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/06/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Why am I continually seeing this rifle leaned against a small aspen and Beretz shoulder deep gutting a bull Elk? smile

Sounds like you know Scotty all too well..... laugh Although, I'm picturing his 338 Alaskan stocked in a legend laying across a nice bull this year... cool
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/07/17
It'll be a toss up but I have taken the 338 quite alot, so I am putting the Mashburn up front for Wyoming. Not sure if I am going to Oregon or Idaho yet but the 338 will get some gun time as well.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/08/17
Whatever rifle you take, I wish you the best of luck my friend!!!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/09/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sounds like you know Scotty all too well..... laugh Although, I'm picturing his 338 Alaskan stocked in a legend laying across a nice bull this year... cool

LOL, regardless BSA, I need to get my lazy butt out for elk too, been three or four years I guess, I miss it.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/09/17
gunner, where do you hunt elk at?? I live for elk hunting!!! In the woods and at peace with nature and leave the city behind. You ever heard that song Jekyll and Hyde by 5 finger death punch? That's how I feel every day when I have to drive my lazy azz to Portland and deal with those imbeciles!!!!!!

Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/09/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL, regardless BSA, I need to get my lazy butt out for elk too, been three or four years I guess, I miss it.

Time to get after them buddy! No time like this year!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: M70 7mm MSM - 04/10/17
BSA, I've hunted elk in and around Meeker several times over the decades, in Uncompahgre, the Thoroughfare in Wyo, and most recently a couple years ago in New Mexico around White Sands Missile Range with our old friend EddyBo.

LOL on the death punch. grin I have that attitude, if they're there, I'll find em, and ones gonna ride home with me.

beretz, you bet my friend, gotta get to pounding those mountains while I'm still young enough to do so.
© 24hourcampfire