Home
Posted By: EskimoRoll Winchester Model 70 30-06 - 05/15/17
Hey Guys,

First time caller, long time listener.

I recently inherited Winchester Model 70 30-06. It's a beautiful gun, almost flawless except for a small nick (about the size of the tip of a pen) on the stock that can be easily repaired. The serial number is 35CZZ120xx. I'm leaving the last 2 digits off just because of the internet and all. Can anyone who knows more about Winchesters give me an idea of what this rifle is worth. I'm a Savage guy and bought my rifles new. According to the serial number trace I performed this was made in the late 30's. I'll answer any question I can as I'm pretty sure I'm not covering all the details I need for an accurate answer.

Below is link to a picture. It's the one on the bottom and the scope is a Lelpold. Thank you for any info.

[Linked Image]

Sorry, it was most definitely not made in the '30's. The leading 35 followed be letters means that it is recently manufactured. I believe the CZZ means it was made in 2011. It's a shooter, not a collector.
Ah, Ok. Through my hamfisted attempt to match the serial number I assumed the 35CZZ was a model and the following numbers were the serial number simply because I couldn't locate any with of the 70 models with letters in the serial number. Any idea of what is a good asking price? Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Nice rifle but common cartridge. Others on here are more in tune with the market than I, but I'd say $600-$800.
Nice rifle, nonetheless. I like how it has irons too. Excellent do it all cartridge too. Hard to go wrong there my friend..
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Winchester Model 70 30-06 - 05/15/17
Not sure where you got the made in 1930's info, but the M70 rifles were first made in 1936, and I don't believe things got going good until 1937. As far as I know, all Pre '64 M70 rifles wear only numbers as serial numbers, found on the right side of the receiver ring. I suggest you try a different source for serial number data. I don't know the value, but you can search for similar rifles on the various auction sites. It is a nice rifle in a good chambering wearing a good scope. If I were you, I'd go shoot it. You might find you want to hang onto it!
You guys notice the time stamp has been way screwed up here???? I know I posted on this thread earlier today... blush
Posted By: Zengela Re: Winchester Model 70 30-06 - 05/16/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You guys notice the time stamp has been way screwed up here???? I know I posted on this thread earlier today... blush

Site was down for maintenance.
Posted By: boliep Re: Winchester Model 70 30-06 - 05/16/17
This might help give you the age of your rifle.

FN Winchester serial numbers and dates follow this pattern.

35 plus a letter is the Model 70 code

The next two letters are manufacture date:

Z-1
Y-2
X-3
W-4
V-5
T-6
R-7
P-8
N-9

Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Winchester Model 70 30-06 - 05/16/17
good info....thanks
I'm a sucker for a sighted rifle so that is right up my alley. Should serve you very well, that rifle can hunt on any continent.
© 24hourcampfire