Home
Posted By: boliep replacement trigger - 05/29/17

Have any of you used this trigger on a pre 64 Model 70? If so, would you recommend it?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ter-70-adjustable-trigger-prod22887.aspx
Posted By: Jkob Re: replacement trigger - 05/29/17
Why mess with the original trigger, it is an excellent unit
Posted By: easttex Re: replacement trigger - 05/29/17
I tried one, but did not care for it. Reinstalled the original. What's not to like? I would make you a heck of a deal on the Basix unit.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: replacement trigger - 05/30/17
Originally Posted by boliep

Have any of you used this trigger on a pre 64 Model 70? If so, would you recommend it?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ter-70-adjustable-trigger-prod22887.aspx

My advice, send your Pre-64 to a smith who can tune the original trigger.

I think you'll be pleased with the result; it's considered by many to be one of the most fool proof hunting triggers.

DF
Posted By: boliep Re: replacement trigger - 05/30/17
Originally Posted by Jkob
Why mess with the original trigger, it is an excellent unit

The screws will not adjust up and down through a certain spot. Feels like it
is binding.

It will not get lighter than about 4 1/2 pounds by the RCBS gauge.
Posted By: easttex Re: replacement trigger - 05/30/17
Primary way of adjusting weight of pull on that trigger is not with screws. Like Dirtfarmer said, send it to someone that knows the trigger. There are several guys on this site including Kobe and Redneck, Mark Penrod is also excellent.
easttex is right.

To the OP, don't give up on your OEM Pre-64 trigger. It's a diamond in the rough.

Just needs a jeweler... wink

The three smiths easttex mentioned are top notch. You won't go wrong and you'll be very glad you did.

IMO,

DF
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: replacement trigger - 05/30/17
They are ok....but the original will adjust fine and is a great design.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: replacement trigger - 05/30/17
Have someone who knows what they are doing take a look at it. Also, clean it down to bare steel if you have the equipment to do so. I have had a few pre-64 triggers that improved considerably with cleaning; one actually had dried shellac on the inside of the adjustment bolts.
I have two of the RB triggers and find them to be a significant improvement over the OEM triggers. Both required a bit of fitting but the results were excellent. Have to admit that I didn't let a Pro work on the factory triggers before I gave up on them.

Bill V
The classic M-70 trigger can be tuned to near perfection by someone who knows how.

DF
Posted By: winchester70 Re: replacement trigger - 06/03/17
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The classic M-70 trigger can be tuned to near perfection by someone who knows how.

DF

FACT
Posted By: Redneck Re: replacement trigger - 06/07/17

DF
Damn straight... And I'm one of 'em... smile smile
Posted By: boliep Re: replacement trigger - 06/07/17

While I am a minor leaguer compared to others and especially to Redneck, I have adjusted quite
a number of pre 64 triggers satisfactorily.

My problem here is the binding as the adjustment screws are turned. That was the reason for a
possible change to a replacement trigger.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: replacement trigger - 06/08/17
If a good solvent soak doesn't clear up the binding, you might consider determining if the issue with the trigger (the most expensive part) or the screw or the nuts. Pre64win or Wisner's may be able to get you up and running. Between the two, or maybe both, you should be able to get all the parts. But you can probably get by pretty cheap if the actual trigger is not damaged.
Posted By: pre64win Re: replacement trigger - 06/12/17
I have individual triggers available, but recommend going with a factory-matched trigger group instead. Going with a complete factory-matched set does not guarantee it will drop into any receiver without need for adjustment, but frequently it does. It is certainly a far better solution than buying an aftermarket trigger and trying to mate that up with a 60 year old sear.

If you want to go with an aftermarket trigger solution, then I recommend passing on the Basix unit and going with a Canjar or a Timney trigger. They are infinitely adjustable and (in the case of the Timney) are a complete drop-in solution which will not require any modification to your rifle (the Canjar often will force you to tweak the contact point between the Canjar sear and the factory firing pin). We don't show them on our website, but I have both Timney ($100) and Canjar ($275) triggers available in stock.

Justin
Posted By: boliep Re: replacement trigger - 06/13/17

Thanks for the last response. Just what I need to know in case cleaning the existing trigger
does not fix the problem.
Posted By: Redneck Re: replacement trigger - 06/13/17

Thanks for the last response. Just what I need to know in case cleaning the existing trigger
does not fix the problem.

PM coming..
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: replacement trigger - 06/15/17
Originally Posted by Redneck

DF
Damn straight... And I'm one of 'em... smile smile

Yep.

Without a doubt...

DF
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: replacement trigger - 06/15/17

While I am a minor leaguer compared to others and especially to Redneck, I have adjusted quite
a number of pre 64 triggers satisfactorily.

My problem here is the binding as the adjustment screws are turned. That was the reason for a
possible change to a replacement trigger.

Boliep, just so you know, I have had to replace a trigger on a 1963 rifle. It was bent in such a way that made it inoperable. One thing I noticed about that trigger was it was not made as structurally sound and seemed hollow in some spots (if that makes any sense). I haven't commented on this thread because I'm with the rest of the guys that are saying the pre 64 is one of the best hunting triggers out there. I've had excellent results with them, all except for one late manufactured trigger. The serial # on that rifle placed it in the last few months of production. If your rifle is of the same era, it may also have one of these crappy triggers. Some may call bs, but this is what I've experienced. If you need to buy another pre 64 trigger and go from there, I'll bet Justin has plenty of good ones (complete units with the sear) in his shop. I have 1, but I save it for a spare that I'll probably never need, but you never know. Good luck with your's and hope this helps...
Posted By: pre64win Re: replacement trigger - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Boliep, just so you know, I have had to replace a trigger on a 1963 rifle. It was bent in such a way that made it inoperable. One thing I noticed about that trigger was it was not made as structurally sound and seemed hollow in some spots (if that makes any sense). I haven't commented on this thread because I'm with the rest of the guys that are saying the pre 64 is one of the best hunting triggers out there. I've had excellent results with them, all except for one late manufactured trigger. The serial # on that rifle placed it in the last few months of production. If your rifle is of the same era, it may also have one of these crappy triggers. Some may call bs, but this is what I've experienced. If you need to buy another pre 64 trigger and go from there, I'll bet Justin has plenty of good ones (complete units with the sear) in his shop. I have 1, but I save it for a spare that I'll probably never need, but you never know. Good luck with your's and hope this helps...

These late production triggers can be identified by a split boss for the trigger pin, rather than a single boss the full width of the trigger. I agree with BSA: unless you are trying to get a late production rifle built out with all the correct parts, the earlier triggers are better. The early and late pre-64 triggers are 100% interchangeable.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: replacement trigger - 06/17/17
Is that trigger information/change in Rule's book? If not, it seems to me that it should be.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: replacement trigger - 06/17/17
Grand uncle of mine , now dead. Bill morrison formerly of bradford maine. Did the work on my trigger, barely honed the sears and trimmed almost 3/4ths of 1 turn on the coil spring, took him about 25- 30 minutes to do, while i watched. Passed bolt slam test and bounce test on the butt. Breaks like christmas ornament glass, several people have shot it over the years and have liked it. It is right around 18 ounces. The model 70 trigger is pretty good to say the least.
© 24hourcampfire