Home
Purchased a gorgeous 86 in 33 WCF last week but for the life of me can't see how to take it down. You are supposed to flip out the lever at the magazine cap and rotate counter clockwise (after levering open the action). I have no idea about "counter clockwise"...looking head on or from the shooters perspective? Either way, after the lever is flipped out, it wont rotate either way, so I can then rotate the forearm.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
There is a Midway USA/Larry Potterfield post on youtube that demonstrates the takedown procedure....
Never had a takedown '86, but did have a takedown 99 Savage, I do remember needing to open the bolt before disassembly, Congrats on the new rifle.
Godogs I had the exact same problem. Mine was made in 1905. I couldn't get it to budge either. So I left it alone, I don't believe it was ever apart. To add injury to insult I've had 2 savage 1899s(in 303,22 HP) and one 99(303) takedowns that I could not get apart either. But I know my limitations. No sense breaking a rifle that's over 100 yrs old!!
Godogs57 Congrats on your new '86! Post some pics if you can.
Thanks Clay. I guess this one will never be a take down for me...that magazine plug ain't budging! Like it was silver soldered in place or something....
Unscrew the magazine the same direction as you would to loosen a bolt. Loosen it until it will slide out of the forend. Open the bolt and turn the front end the same direction as you did to remove the magazine tube. It may be quite difficult and you can damage the firearm if you are too rough with it. You only need to turn it a quarter turn and it should seperate from the receiver.

If either the magazine tube or barrel are to tight to remove, then don't mess with them. If you want it apart, take it to someone who knows and works on the old Winchesters. It should be a pretty inexpensive job unless someone has done something dumb like epoxying, soldering, or welding the pieces together.
fast forward to 8:45 mark

Thanks Watch4bear, That's exactly what I'm doing, but the lever will not turn....I can flip out the lever but that's as far as it goes...it will not turn.
I'd try a little penetrating fluid in the magazine tube threads. You'd have to remove the forearm to get to them.
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I'd try a little penetrating fluid in the magazine tube threads. You'd have to remove the forearm to get to them.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. Removed forend (partially), penetrating oil on the threads for two hours and she twisted right out. Taking it down from that point on was easy. Soaking bore overnight in Wipeout....strong rifling, but a rather dark bore in my initial opinion.

Thanks guys for your help. Much appreciated.
© 24hourcampfire