Home
I have this one on hold and know the pad is not original,

Thoughts?

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...el-70-featherweight.cfm?gun_id=100878313
Wonder whats on the floor plate?
The floor plate is marked super grade according to the shop it was a one-owner rifle by a guy who used to work there.

The shop claims the rifle is all original and that the pad is an original Winchester pad that was most likely fitted at the factory.

Shop claims they instructed a young employee to put it on the internet at 3995 he screwed up and put it on the internet at 2k, which they will honor.

Shop claims the rifle is a right Winchester all original.

Want to know what some of the Winchester guru's on here think I don't think I can go wrong at 2K
I concur with your opinion that you cannot go wrong at $2K. The pad looks thin for a Winchester pad, have you seen back of the pad? Thinking it may be a 3/4" Pachmyer rifle pad.
No brainer @2K for a .270. What is the worst it could be? Even if it is a put together you could not get hurt.
I am no expert, but the stock worries me. One of the things I never liked about the Super Grade Monte Carlo stocks was that the end of the cheek rest did not align with the "bump" of the Monte Carlo (see Rule p. 167.) On the rifle in question, the end of the cheek rest and the Monte Carlo do align very nicely. I like the look, but I wonder if this is correct? Having said that, if you look at Rule p. 168, there are two Africans that are not terribly consistent with each other. On p. 170 there is another picture where the angle is not the best, but it seems the two do not align. Other examples can be found on p. 78, 79, 86, 243, 262, 275. This rifle may be worth the $2K, but the stock still worries me.
Gun shop said that the pad is marked Winchester (IIRC, it was a lengthy conversation) and that they stand by the fact that the rifle is an original a super grade featherweight.

For what it's worth.
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I am no expert, but the stock worries me. One of the things I never liked about the Super Grade Monte Carlo stocks was that the end of the cheek rest did not align with the "bump" of the Monte Carlo (see Rule p. 167.) On the rifle in question, the end of the cheek rest and the Monte Carlo do align very nicely. I like the look, but I wonder if this is correct? Having said that, if you look at Rule p. 168, there are two Africans that are not terribly consistent with each other. On p. 170 there is another picture where the angle is not the best, but it seems the two do not align. Other examples can be found on p. 78, 79, 86, 243, 262, 275. This rifle may be worth the $2K, but the stock still worries me.

GunDoc, Thanks for that I'm actually on vacation and not in front of my copy of Rule
in pic #7, looks like a vice mark on the bbl. also, looks like the stock has been bedded. see if they will take it out of the stock & see if the bbl is marked super & look at the inside of stock. still for $2k for a 270 is pretty good.
Originally Posted by prewar375
in pic #7, looks like a vice mark on the bbl. also, looks like the stock has been bedded. see if they will take it out of the stock & see if the bbl is marked super & look at the inside of stock. still for $2k for a 270 is pretty good.

Good eye and good suggestion. I will add that the stock looks like it's been refinished too. I'm with gundoc on this one, the stock is worrysome.. Is it worth $2,000.00? Well, I always get a little leery when I see a supergrade 270 fwt in any condition. They are rare birds and without more info, I'd be more than a little leery. If you are looking for a good shooter grade, this is your huckleberry. ....
GunDoc, Thanks for that I'm actually on vacation and not in front of my copy of Rule[/quote]

nyrifleman, you are very welcome. I am happy to contribute here where I have learned so much and been treated so well. I am not very good at posting pics. Perhaps we could implore someone who is (cough, BSA smile ) to post one or two from the pages of Rule that I mention.

Let me also say that we have some SHARP eyes around here!: BSA and especially Prewar375 on the vice mark and bedding.

I am reasonably comfortable commenting on what I see. I am less comfortable when suggesting to someone else how to spend their money. $2k seems a reasonable enough price, but I would have balked at $4k and the claims made about all original and correct. There may be someone here who can allay my concerns about the originality of the stock. The parts may indeed be original, but it seems more and more clear that the rifle was at the very least lightly worked on, if not more.
[i][/i]
I'd argue that you COULD go wrong at $2k.

A standard grade 270 Fwt is a semi-scarce gun. Used, but nmolested, they are worth $1200-$1500. I hate to be a cynic, but in all likelihood, this is a standard Fwt rifle with a modified stock and SG bottom metal. You would need to pull the rifle apart to confirm otherwise, but the scarcity of SG Fwt rifles is such that there are far more fakes out there than genuine articles. Because of this, collectors regard them all as guilty until proven innocent.

I recommend asking the seller to pull it apart and have them send you detailed photos of the stamps under the barrel, as well as the inletting and checkering of the stock. If it is all genuine, then I agree: you can't go wrong at $2k.

Good luck!

Justin
I'd agree with the above observations, but if it was me I wouldn't worry, I'd buy the gun and hunt the heck out of it. I've seen regular .270 fwts' in that condition sell for $1500+, it's a great looking rifle and unless your plan is to buy it and put it away for many years to come, not a bad price..
I'd pass on the gun....
"Gun shop said that the pad is marked Winchester (IIRC, it was a lengthy conversation) and that they stand by the fact that the rifle is an original a super grade featherweight"

Then if the price is good, buy it. Then if it proves false, go after the shop for fraud.
A typical gun shop is not going to let themselves be held liable for guaranteeing the authenticity of a rare rifle. What they say in an email is of little consequence if the sales contract has boilerplate "as-is, where-is, no express or implied guarantees" language. Going after them for fraud on the basis of an email, when a subsequent purchase agreement you have entered into includes tried and proven small print which releases the seller from any liability or ongoing obligation is unrealistic. This is why it is important to verify what you are buying before you buy it.

There are a few obvious problems with this rifle:

1. Despite what the seller says, the recoil pad is not original. No pad of that style was available on any type-3 model 70.

2. The stock has been refinished.

3. The stock has been bedded.

4. There is evidence of what looks like barrel replacement by someone not equipped to do the work.

Because SG Fwt rifles are so extremely rare, I'd be very concerned that this is one of the many fakes out there floating around. I know the owner told the gun shop a nice story that sounds believable. Of course, people who make up fake rifles also make up fake stories to go along with the fake rifles they peddle - those two things go part and parcel. This is why pulling the rifle apart to verify its authenticity is important. Even if it is genuine, the issues described above make a significant dent in any collector value.
Originally Posted by pre64win

A standard grade 270 Fwt is a semi-scarce gun. Used, but nmolested, they are worth $1200-$1500. I hate to be a cynic, but in all likelihood, this is a standard Fwt rifle with a modified stock and SG bottom metal. You would need to pull the rifle apart to confirm otherwise, but the scarcity of SG Fwt rifles is such that there are far more fakes out there than genuine articles. Because of this, collectors regard them all as guilty until proven innocent.

I recommend asking the seller to pull it apart and have them send you detailed photos of the stamps under the barrel, as well as the inletting and checkering of the stock. If it is all genuine, then I agree: you can't go wrong at $2k.

Good luck!

Justin

I'm going with this. Way too many "ifs" in market known for fakes, especially Super Grades.

Good luck!

Justin

That's a Super Grade stock, all right. However, the stock's been bedded, the back end of the Monte Carlo comb has definitely been modified, and the wood has been refinished. Not sure about the pad. Despite all that, I'd agree that a SG/FW for $2k is probably not a bad deal - but there's obviously no guarantee it's a genuine SG.
Do any of the Guru's have any comments on my observations about the back edge of the cheek rest and the Monte Carlo? Unless someone has knowledge I do not (which is entirely possible, I don't claim to be an expert), I believe that is not an original stock or it has been altered so that the cheek rest and the Monte Carlo line up. Rule talked about variations in fore end profile, pistol grip radius, and details about the shape of the end of the pistol grip. He also discusses Super Grade cheek rests and diamond shapes around the fore end screw on standard barrel Supers. Would he miss variations on the cheek rest that I describe? Possibly, but it seems unlikely to me.
I agree with the comments about the SG Monte Carlo cheek comb.

There is plenty of variation in SG stocks, but this link shows what they typically look like: https://goo.gl/images/Hp5QHG

It also shows what the recoil pad should look like.
Do any of the Guru's have any comments on my observations about the back edge of the cheek rest and the Monte Carlo? Unless someone has knowledge I do not (which is entirely possible, I don't claim to be an expert), I believe that is not an original stock or it has been altered so that the cheek rest and the Monte Carlo line up. Rule talked about variations in fore end profile, pistol grip radius, and details about the shape of the end of the pistol grip. He also discusses Super Grade cheek rests and diamond shapes around the fore end screw on standard barrel Supers. Would he miss variations on the cheek rest that I describe? Possibly, but it seems unlikely to me.

Yes, it's been bobbed off somewhat. And not very cleverly, either.
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

Or it never was an original SG stock to start with?
Slight hijack here. The African pre64win provides a link to a couple of posts above appears to have a gold plated trigger? I don't believe I have ever seen that before.

Or it never was an original SG stock to start with?

Sure looks like an original SG stock to me, Doc, aside from the mods & refin. I seriously doubt it's a copy. It would take a very talented craftsman to duplicate Winchester's crappy SG checkering that accurately. wink
It would take a very talented craftsman to duplicate Winchester's crappy SG checkering that accurately. wink

LOL. So true.
They offer a 3 day inspection. Most you would lose is shipping it back.

Return Policy:3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
$30.00 Shipping & Handling; 3 days of inspection only.
A typical gun shop is not going to let themselves be held liable for guaranteeing the authenticity of a rare rifle. What they say in an email is of little consequence if the sales contract has boilerplate "as-is, where-is, no express or implied guarantees" language. Going after them for fraud on the basis of an email, when a subsequent purchase agreement you have entered into includes tried and proven small print which releases the seller from any liability or ongoing obligation is unrealistic. This is why it is important to verify what you are buying before you buy it.

There are a few obvious problems with this rifle:

1. Despite what the seller says, the recoil pad is not original. No pad of that style was available on any type-3 model 70.

2. The stock has been refinished.

3. The stock has been bedded.

4. There is evidence of what looks like barrel replacement by someone not equipped to do the work.

Because SG Fwt rifles are so extremely rare, I'd be very concerned that this is one of the many fakes out there floating around. I know the owner told the gun shop a nice story that sounds believable. Of course, people who make up fake rifles also make up fake stories to go along with the fake rifles they peddle - those two things go part and parcel. This is why pulling the rifle apart to verify its authenticity is important. Even if it is genuine, the issues described above make a significant dent in any collector value.

That would be true, If they were only acting on behalf of the seller. But they are not. They certified it's authenticity.

Sure looks like an original SG stock to me, Doc, aside from the mods & refin. I seriously doubt it's a copy. It would take a very talented craftsman to duplicate Winchester's crappy SG checkering that accurately. wink

You make some points I do not have the expertise to agree or disagree with. Having said that, it doesn't make sense someone who had the talent to make a good fake would screw up on the cheek rest/Monte Carlo. And if they purposely made a new stock with the cheek rest/Mont Carlo more pleasing (more pleasing IMO), then why wouldn't they go ahead with better quality checkering? Putting those two together, it lends credence to your theory that it is an altered original SG stock.
Originally Posted by kellory
That would be true, If they were only acting on behalf of the seller. But they are not.

Not quite true. The shop is passing along a story of provenance with their marketing of the rifle. It is meaningless in the collector world, unless it can be verified. In this case, it may be true or it may be a lie, but it serves the purpose of disarming a wary buyer. For example:

Originally Posted by nyrifleman
according to the shop it was a one-owner rifle by a guy who used to work there.

Consistency of a story is critical if it is going to be used to establish provenance. In this case, if the shop has such a close relationship with the original owner, then why the uncertainty about where the recoil pad was installed?

The shop claims the rifle is all original and that the pad is an original Winchester pad that was most likely fitted at the factory.

And that brings us to this...

They certified it's authenticity.

This is meaningless, because they also claimed it was "a right Winchester all original", when this is clearly not the case. A "certification" is only as good as the person providing it. In this case, I am not too confident. Every month I see fraudulent model 70s for sale. Some are easy to spot and others are quite difficult to detect. This one seems to come with plenty of warning signs attached.

Originally Posted by EdM

This helps a lot, and I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the seller is offering these terms.

And for what it's worth, none of the above is intended to come across as me being a jerk. It's just that I am in a constant state of distrust about fraudulent rifles being offered as something they are not. The end effect of all the fake rare rifles on the market is that genuine rifles which cannot prove their provenance end up being of no interest to purist collectors. This is a devastating effect for people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested into genuinely rare model 70s, only to find the presence of fraudulent rifles has gutted their ability to sell a real rifle which does not have verified provenance.

The bottom line is this - rare model 70 buyers need to be very wary about fraudulent rare rifles being offered on the market. Many experts say there are more faked rare model 70s on the market than genuine factory originals. I don't know this to be the case, but I see fake rifles all the time. I've also had major collectors ship rifles to me or have me visit them for verification of their collection - the problem is bad enough that many big-time collectors are paranoid they may have ended up with fakes in their collection.
That would be true, If they were only acting on behalf of the seller. But they are not.

Not quite true. The shop is passing along a story of provenance with their marketing of the rifle. It is meaningless in the collector world, unless it can be verified. In this case, it may be true or it may be a lie, but it serves the purpose of disarming a wary buyer. For example:

according to the shop it was a one-owner rifle by a guy who used to work there.

Consistency of a story is critical if it is going to be used to establish provenance. In this case, if the shop has such a close relationship with the original owner, then why the uncertainty about where the recoil pad was installed?

And that brings us to this...

They certified it's authenticity.

This is meaningless, because they also claimed it was "a right Winchester all original", when this is clearly not the case. A "certification" is only as good as the person providing it. In this case, I am not too confident. Every month I see fraudulent model 70s for sale. Some are easy to spot and others are quite difficult to detect. This one seems to come with plenty of warning signs attached.

Originally Posted by EdM

This helps a lot, and I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the seller is offering these terms.

And for what it's worth, none of the above is intended to come across as me being a jerk. It's just that I am in a constant state of distrust about fraudulent rifles being offered as something they are not. The end effect of all the fake rare rifles on the market is that genuine rifles which cannot prove their provenance end up being of no interest to purist collectors. This is a devastating effect for people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested into genuinely rare model 70s, only to find the presence of fraudulent rifles has gutted their ability to sell a real rifle which does not have verified provenance.

The bottom line is this - rare model 70 buyers need to be very wary about fraudulent rare rifles being offered on the market. Many experts say there are more faked rare model 70s on the market than genuine factory originals. I don't know this to be the case, but I see fake rifles all the time. I've also had major collectors ship rifles to me or have me visit them for verification of their collection - the problem is bad enough that many big-time collectors are paranoid they may have ended up with fakes in their collection.

I'm not suggesting any jerkish behavior, far from it. I am suggesting only that the shop is adding to the fraud (if it is a fraud) and there are consequences for actions. As reported here, they have added their stamp to the pedigree.
Not to add confusion to an already "confusing" situation, but I'm going to guess the story may turn out to be the "one owner who used to work there" is deceased. This leaves no one to ask about possible rebarreling, stock alteration, refinishing, glass bedding, etc.

For what it is worth, in my opinion Justin (pre64win) is not only not a jerk, but is a valuable source of information to this forum. Honest men sometimes bring a dose of reality in the form of news and opinions that are not what we would prefer to hear. I think most of us are smart enough not to shoot the messenger.
Not to add confusion to an already "confusing" situation, but I'm going to guess the story may turn out to be the "one owner who used to work there" is deceased. This leaves no one to ask about possible rebarreling, stock alteration, refinishing, glass bedding, etc.

For what it is worth, in my opinion Justin (pre64win) is not only not a jerk, but is a valuable source of information to this forum. Honest men sometimes bring a dose of reality in the form of news and opinions that are not what we would prefer to hear. I think most of us are smart enough not to shoot the messenger.

Not my intention sir. I have no dog in this fight, nor want one.
But I equate well made tools (guns) as works of art. They are clearly an art form. And authentication of an art form has risks.

https://artlaw.foxrothschild.com/articles/art-authentication/
"MENU
Fox Rothschild LLP logo
SEARCH…
Search…
SEARCH
Art Law
Recent Developments in Art Litigation and Art Finance
Art Authentication
Subscribe to Art Authentication
Another Trash to Treasure Tale – Jackson Pollock Found in Garage to be Sold this Month

By Marie C. Dooley on June 13, 2017
POSTED IN ART AUTHENTICATION, ART CONSERVATION/RESTORATION, ART VALUATION
A Jackson Pollock painting possibly worth over $15 Million was found in a garage in Arizona among other knick-knacks and memorabilia. The painting was located because the homeowner was downsizing and moving to a retirement facility. During the move, a friend spotted a signed L.A. Lakers poster believed to be of value, which prompted review of other items in the garage. The sports poster was determined to be only worth $300 (actually not a bad value for a modern-day poster, which generally does not retain value). In contrast to the poster, the Pollack was taken back to the auction gallery for further examination. After feverishly researching the provenance in an effort to determine how the Pollack could end up in Arizona (where regional southwestern art is king), the appraiser/auctioneer involved, Josh Levin of J. Levine Auction & Appraisal, found a link from the Arizona owner to his half-sister, Jenifer Gordon Cosgriff, who was a New York Socialite. After tireless research, it has been determined that the painting is a missing Pollack gouache. In regard to authentication, the auction gallery indicates that the forensic report states that “no pigments or binding media introduced in the late 1950s and 1960s have been detected.” Reports indicate that since the painting was removed from storage it has been restored. The painting will go to the auction block next week in Scottsdale, AZ with a reported starting bid of $5 Million.
Richard Polsky Art Authentication Offers New “Preliminary Opinion Service”

By Fox Rothschild LLP on January 17, 2017
POSTED IN ART AUTHENTICATION
Richard Polsky writes:

As the owner of Richard Polsky Art Authentication, I’ve always believed that authenticity is the bedrock of any art transaction, which seems to have been proven out by the constant stream of related articles in the New York Times. During the last six months alone, we’ve been treated to the spectacle of the Knoedler gallery scandal for selling fake canvases by Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, Robert Motherwell, and others. Then there was the dealer Mary Boone pulling a bait and switch of a Ross Bleckner painting on the actor Alec Baldwin. This was followed by London’s James Mayor Gallery suing the Pace Gallery, over their rejection of 13 Agnes Martin works that they once sold, for inclusion in the catalog raisonne that Pace is in the process of compiling.
Recently, we expanded beyond our core business of exclusively authenticating the work of Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, and Keith Haring. We now offer a “Preliminary Opinion” service, which will focus on the work of 39 significant Post-War & Contemporary artists — and Georgia O’Keeffe. Rather than an in-depth authentication analysis, our new concept is to offer a client a credible, but affordable opinion, on the probability of a painting being genuine or not.

The logic behind branching out into 40 additional artists is based on the complete abandonment of authentication responsibilities by virtually every major artist’s estate. As followers of the art world know, the Andy Warhol Art Authentication Board closed up shop five years ago. Their decision was almost entirely based on incurring millions of dollars in legal fees to defend themselves against lawsuits, brought by disgruntled clients whose works were rejected. Immediately following the Warhol board’s announcement, the authentication committees for Roy Lichtenstein, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring, and others, all followed suit. Each of them cited the same reason; fear of being sued."
Considering that an aluminum butt Fwt. in .270 Win. easily commands $1500 - $1600, $2k for a S.G. Fwt. isn't too bad. In my view it is a high grade shooter with some "bragging rights" but not a "collector". FWIW I've been taught to only believe a factory modification when a sales receipt or a Winchester letter is presented. All other claims of provenance are a sales pitch. Only the buyer needs to convince themself they are satisfied with their decision.
I totally agree BW....
I would heartily pass on that rifle.
kellory,

If you thought my comments concerning pre64win were directed at you, please understand that was not my intention. I meant only, apparently in a somewhat clumsy manner, to pay Justin a compliment and thank him for sharing his expertise with us. In addition, I wanted to reassure him that we appreciate his honest opinion, even if it sometimes isn't the "good news" one of us would like to hear.

As to the legal jeopardy of the dealer by providing assurance or certification of originality, I have no worthwhile opinion. My assumption is they can say, in effect, "We believe it is legit, but you have three-days to examine and determine if you agree." Assuming there is no proof they know pertinent facts they are not disclosing, I would assume they are then free from legal entanglement. However, I'm no lawyer, so those assumptions mean little to nothing.

Best,
Gun Doc
So no interest in receiving the rifle, inspecting it for three days and returning it if not satisfied? This assuming your are knowledgeable enough to do the evaluation for which I have no clue and do not intend otherwise.
kellory,

If you thought my comments concerning pre64win were directed at you, please understand that was not my intention. I meant only, apparently in a somewhat clumsy manner, to pay Justin a compliment and thank him for sharing his expertise with us. In addition, I wanted to reassure him that we appreciate his honest opinion, even if it sometimes isn't the "good news" one of us would like to hear.

As to the legal jeopardy of the dealer by providing assurance or certification of originality, I have no worthwhile opinion. My assumption is they can say, in effect, "We believe it is legit, but you have three-days to examine and determine if you agree." Assuming there is no proof they know pertinent facts they are not disclosing, I would assume they are then free from legal entanglement. However, I'm no lawyer, so those assumptions mean little to nothing.

Best,
Gun Doc

My thanks, and yes I had wondered if I had put my foot in my mouth. I have no doubt pre64win knows his guns. But IMHO, the shop crossed a line when they claimed "We know this is the real deal".
Gentleman I received a photo package from the dealer this morning.

The bottom of the barrel is marked Super 270, there are no scuff marks on top of the barrel. Whatever was showing in the photos was oil or lint. The barrel is a three-line Winchester Barrel.

I also received pictures of the recoil pad which is marked Winchester.

According to the dealer the rifle belonged to a longtime employee of theirs. He believes the employee bought it new and is therefore a one-owner rifle. According to the shop everybody in the shop knew about that rifle. I appreciate what someone here commented, that you have to have a good story for a rifle like that. The employee, according to the shop, was anal retentive and a former bigwig in the Michigan Department of Conservation and did trade shows quite a bit. The pad certainly looks to be an excellent condition so that makes me think it's probably aftermarket, however Winchester did have a habit of creating pre 64s in almost any configuration one wanted. It's not beyond the realm of possibility considering the bluing on the rifle that the pad is original.

I am satisfied that that stock is an original supergrade stock and that the barreled action is an original Super grade.

I have decided to proceed with the purchase. The bedding is unfortunate but I believe if I placed this rifle on GunBroker tomorrow I would make my money back in a heartbeat.

Load development will commence with h4831 and the 130 grain Nosler partition.

If someone would like me to share the photos with them so they can place the photos on this thread in the interests of more conversation/educatio
I'd be happy to do so
Who has a front sight Hood they want to sell me?
Who has a front sight Hood they want to sell me?

I just gave my last one away... That is a sweet rifle. I think you will be happy with it. Let us know how she shoots with that JOC load. Should be a great combo for that rifle...
That's great that the metal confirms its a SG. Given that, you can't go wrong at $2k. I agree, even with some stock issues, you should be able to double your money on it.
nyrifleman,

Sounds like you have done due diligence. I still wonder about that cheek rest Monte Carlo issue, but for $2k I would do my wondering while it was sitting in my gun rack . . .

I suspect pre64win has front sight hoods for sale. I have bought things from him in the past and was well satisfied. In my experience the descriptions can be trusted.

I volunteer BSA to post pictures for all of us to see! smile
BSA if you would be so kind as to post pictures for me I would appreciate it
I can post pics for you if you need me to. I'll pm you my email address to send pic to...
Inbound....
Congrats!!
glad you purchased it. that bbl is very rare with the 3 line address, not made for very long & not that many & only in '55'. so, the bbl should have the date on the bottom also. I didn't see the serial number on the rifle.
The plot thickens. The barrel is indeed marked 55 however the serial number indicates a 1958 rifle.

I returned from vacation today and was able to sit down with Rules book for a while.

I do have a three-day inspection and the dealer is not planning to ship at my request until the 10th.

BSA has the photo package. Once he posts pictures I'd be interested in everybody's comments.
That would be my main concern: The barrel is marked "55" and the receiver is a 1958...... Just a little concerning... To say the least..
The plot thickens. The barrel is indeed marked 55 however the serial number indicates a 1958 rifle.

I returned from vacation today and was able to sit down with Rules book for a while.

I do have a three-day inspection and the dealer is not planning to ship at my request until the 10th.

BSA has the photo package. Once he posts pictures I'd be interested in everybody's comments.

That's not unusual....
No, but as BSA points out it is cause for concern.
We don't need no stinking photobucket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whistle

Attached picture IMG_3234.JPG
Attached picture FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Attached picture FullSizeRender.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3232.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3229.JPG
Looks like Photobucket is trying to force people to upgrade.

Thanks for the attempt.
Looks like Photobucket is trying to force people to upgrade.

Thanks for the attempt.

Read "PAY FOR IT".

donsm70
Ok, you guys can click on the link and view the pics. It's not as convenient as before, but at least we can view the pics of this SG FWT. Here are a couple more:

Attached picture IMG_3231.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3229.JPG
Thank you sir.
You are welcome.
I think you should buy it, examine it and then if you really like it, don't let go of it... grin Like others have said, just a regular ol 270 fwt sells for $1,500.00. if it's in good collectible condition. Even if this one is put together, it looks like it was done well. It would be cool to hunt with a nice supergrade like this anyway... Just a lot of cool factor going for it. Chances are, it will shoot very well since it's glass bedded. Mine was extremely accurate, especially with 130gr. nosler partitons. Seems like that bullet just works well in these pre 64's.
While the pad is indeed marked Winchester, in nearly 40yrs. of buying and selling pre'64 M/70's I have never seen one like that.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I think you should buy it, examine it and then if you really like it, don't let go of it... grin Like others have said, just a regular ol 270 fwt sells for $1,500.00. if it's in good collectible condition. Even if this one is put together, it looks like it was done well. It would be cool to hunt with a nice supergrade like this anyway... Just a lot of cool factor going for it. Chances are, it will shoot very well since it's glass bedded. Mine was extremely accurate, especially with 130gr. nosler partitons. Seems like that bullet just works well in these pre 64's.

This.
Originally Posted by model70man
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

This.

I am leaning in this direction.

I still believe if I put the rifle on GunBroker I could get my money back. It's not out of the realm of possibility that that Barrel is original to that rifle.
"It's not out of the realm of possibility that that Barrel is original to that rifle."

It seems it is quite common for Pre '64 M70 rifles to have barrels marked a year earlier than the receiver serial number indicates when the receiver was made. This is true for even high production rifles such as standard rifles in common chamberings. Apparently Winchester made barrels in batches, then used them to build guns over time. Rule may state directly that similar (contour and caliber) barrels were made in batches, but I do not recall at the moment. I also do not recall how Super Grade barrels were different, but since many are marked "Super", apparently there was something special about them.

Since Super Grade Featherweight rifles are "extremely rare" (I don't recall how rare), it might take longer than usual to use up a batch of .270 Super Grade Featherweight barrels. As such, I wonder it it is more common for such rifles to have barrels marked even more than one year before the receiver? It makes sense that this is the case, but it would take documenting a bunch of rifles to determine.

My point is, since this rifle is a rare one, it may be even more in the realm of possibility that the three year earlier barrel is original to that receiver.
"It's not out of the realm of possibility that that Barrel is original to that rifle."

It seems it is quite common for Pre '64 M70 rifles to have barrels marked a year earlier than the receiver serial number indicates when the receiver was made. This is true for even high production rifles such as standard rifles in common chamberings. Apparently Winchester made barrels in batches, then used them to build guns over time. Rule may state directly that similar (contour and caliber) barrels were made in batches, but I do not recall at the moment. I also do not recall how Super Grade barrels were different, but since many are marked "Super", apparently there was something special about them.

Since Super Grade Featherweight rifles are "extremely rare" (I don't recall how rare), it might take longer than usual to use up a batch of .270 Super Grade Featherweight barrels. As such, I wonder it it is more common for such rifles to have barrels marked even more than one year before the receiver? It makes sense that this is the case, but it would take documenting a bunch of rifles to determine.

My point is, since this rifle is a rare one, it may be even more in the realm of possibility that the three year earlier barrel is original to that receiver.

gundoc, according to Rule, there were about "248" 270 sg fwt's that were produced.... You may be right in your assumption. However, 3 years difference, is enough to be concerning... If I saw the slightest hint that the barrel was replaced, that would be enough for me to draw a conclusion. A rifle like this would have to be examined by a highly experienced individual like my smith for example. He could spot a counterfeit from a ways away. However, some guys are so good at replacing barrels (my smith included) that there's no evidence that they have been changed. One thing about Winchester is, things are not set in stone. Barrel dates did not coincide with receiver dates all the time. The short magnum receiver is one such critter for example. It's not all too uncommon to see .338wm rifles with receivers that date to 1956, even though the .338 officially made it's debut in 1958... Winchester can be wonky my friend. With this being said, I still think the rifle in the op is pretty cool. I hope Nyrifleman gets it and decides to hunt it. I'm still curious as to how it's going to shoot for him. Hopefully it drives tacks and becomes the perfect hunting machine for him... As for it being 100% original and treating it like a collectors piece. I don't know....
Originally Posted by gunswizard
While the pad is indeed marked Winchester, in nearly 40yrs. of buying and selling pre'64 M/70's I have never seen one like that.

I have, with the same small logo, in both red and black. But not on any pre-64 guns. I think those pads were from the 60's or 70's.
Originally Posted by gunswizard

I have, with the same small logo, in both red and black. But not on any pre-64 guns. I think those pads were from the 60's or 70's.

I agree with you guys on the pad...
I believe the barrel is not original to the gun. on later guns I have never seen barrels with an earlier date than the receiver. not unusual to see earlier marked bbls on pre wars, transitions & into the real early 50s. On a '58' gun, the barrel should not be dated, just the caliber mark. thus, the vise mark I thought I seen in one of the pictures, looks close & I think you will see a mark. Also, never seen a pad like that. Still a nice attractive rifle. Put a reserve on it that insures you get your money back, don't forget the fees. that is my 2 cents. good luck
Gentleman I received an email from the gun shop which states "Doug, the bbl imprint is in the epoxy bedding that was done at Winchester."

This was in response to my query about the date difference between the barrel and the action. The imprint in question is the super grade 56 imprint.

Winchester didn't epoxy bed their rifles.
No they did not. Regardless it's on its way to me. I'll scope it, shoot it for a while and most likely put her on GunBroker.
Please keep us posted as to what you find when it is in your hands, how it shoots, etc.
Please keep us posted as to what you find when it is in your hands, how it shoots, etc.

+1

Tag

DF
Will do Gents.
I've enjoyed watching this Thread! Very interesting. I'm with the conservative crowd that says there's an collectible gun forgery every day or so. That said, I think it's a great rifle. Since many SGs are likely somehow modified over time if not faked, I'd just stop worrying about the matter. More than 'due diligence' accomplished, and a bunch of knowledgeable folks weighing in. From views available, the rifle looks good and I believe quickly marketable above 2K with the right exposure. I'd be proud to own such as it!
Big congrats and...
My take
I have a pre war std that barrel and action dates vary two years. Gun originally purchased by an old family friend, bought from him by cousin, inherited by me. I have had two SuperGrades that had the nice transition of the Monte Carlo and cheek piece, unlike the Collectors example, and like your purchase.

An old friend, likely deceased now who at different times repped for Winchester and Browning, once told me to beware, but never say never at either place, especially before GCA '68. They liked to please customers.

So it has been bedded and maybe padded. Buy it and shoot it and see the envy of others. I have a fifties FN with a custom stock that I shoot that I would not swap for it, but folks rarely snap on what I have. That can be my advantage at the range if I change loads or glass. Folks ignore me. I have three other rifles that draw the crowds. That sometimes bugs me.

Enjoy,

Jack
Originally Posted by jt402
I have had two SuperGrades that had the nice transition of the Monte Carlo and cheek piece, unlike the Collectors example, and like your purchase.
Jack

If you are sure those stocks are original (and two of them to boot!), then Rule missed an important variation. Given all the lesser variations he did not miss, that really surprises me.
The Supergrade Fwts are so rare that hardly anyone has ever seen more than one in their life. I only ever saw one that I remember myself, and it was a 270 with a pad as well. It was priced right but no one would touch it.
This was before the internet and affordable CNC machines, and the chance of finding an un-molested Supergrade Fwt stock was slim to none, and that is why no one wanted it.

When I first looked at the OP's pic the cheekpiece and monte carlo didn't strike me as anything that odd. It looked like an older cheekpiece on a later monte carlo. With a gun so rare that blend of old and new doesn't surprise me; nor does the older barrel and again for the same reason.

In a related note, today I handled a beautiful 264 Win Mag Fwt and a very nice nice 1962 375 H&H. The 375 had beautiful wood and the small machine checkering panels were recut to mid 1950's. They did a nice job but not perfect by a long shot. I didn't look at the serial of the 264 the beautiful blueing on the barrel and gorgeous wood dominated my attention!

If you are sure those stocks are original (and two of them to boot!), then Rule missed an important variation. Given all the lesser variations he did not miss, that really surprises me.

Again not to argue, but I crossed paths with a serious collector and he knew most of the serious collectors. He was of the opinion that it wasn't rare for Rule to miss. FWIW.
Originally Posted by battue

Again not to argue, but I crossed paths with a serious collector and he knew most of the serious collectors. He was of the opinion that it wasn't rare for Rule to miss. FWIW.

No argument from me. I've heard that about Rule as well. I've even heard a rumble or two about "the book" having some intentional errors to cover some tracks. Please note I didn't say I doubted jt402. But his was the first I had ever heard (in my limited experience) of SG Monte Carlo stocks that didn't have that awkward intersection, non-intersection actually, of the rear of the cheek rest with the step of the Monte Carlo.

As for serious collectors, that is some rare air indeed, and air I don't breathe. I have talked to one knowledgeable person that trusts dealer A, but not dealer B, and then another who tells me exactly the opposite. As far as I can tell, if you don't have a rock solid paper trail, the "correctness" of any given M70 is what some undefined community of experts is willing to agree on, although there is often disagreement. You may have private knowledge you trust, and that may give you peace of mind, but that is all it is.
Doc,

Your thoughts pretty much coincide with this individual. I mentioned earlier his phone number has gone silent and I'm afraid there is no good to come of it. A good, intelligent and interesting individual. .
The rifle has arrived at my FFL. I'm on vacation, then he goes on vacation, and then my vacation continues.

Long story short it'll be sometime in August before I pick the rifle up.

I am looking forward to it.
Damn, keep us in suspense some more... grin Your rifle is intriguing. It keeps reminding me of the 220 swift SG I should have bought for $1,000.00 a few months ago. I know it wasn't 100% original, but it looked the part...
Originally Posted by battue
Doc,

Your thoughts pretty much coincide with this individual. I mentioned earlier his phone number has gone silent and I'm afraid there is no good to come of it. A good, intelligent and interesting individual. .

PM incoming.
Any updates?
Inquiring minds..
Won't have it in hand until the end of August gents. I am on an extended vacation.
© 24hourcampfire