Home
Posted By: Oldman03 Winchester Question - 08/08/17
I hope this is the right forum for this question...

What is the difference in a Win. Classic Stainless and a Win. Extreme Weather?
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Winchester Question - 08/08/17
The classic stainless has a 24" barrel in standard calibers, the Ext Wx has a 22" fluted barrel.

The classic has a MIM extractor, the Ext weather has one of spring steel.

The classic has 2-piece steel bottom metal, the ext wx has a one piece unit.

The classic has the original open trigger, the Ext wx has an enclosed box style trigger, both great triggers imo with a preference to the old style for simplicity and ruggedness.

The extreme wx has fiberglass stock that is quite stiff, the clasic stainless has a injection molded stock.

The ext wx has a aluminum mag follower, some of the classic stainless have a synthetic follower.

Owned and hunted with both for many years, both very good. If choosing today, Id opt for the Ext wx for better stock.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Winchester Question - 08/08/17
Thanks for the info. I have the classic stainless and was just wondering, more than anything else.

I have got a question, how can you have a MIM extractor when it is stainless claw type extractor?
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Winchester Question - 08/09/17
The classics used a metal injection molded peice of metal for the extractor. Right before New Haven closed its doors, they swiched to spring steel like that used on the pre-64. I believe they were made by williams. The South Carolina guns also used spring steel. Not sure about the Portugal versions. Not a big issue unless routinely snap the extractor over the case rim by not feeding via magazine. The extractor to bolt fit is important to good reliable feeding.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Winchester Question - 08/09/17
The MIM extractor had raised lines molded into the face of the claw if you wish to know which kind you have. I believe my WSM's had two lines. A bunch of us kept Williams in business prior to them getting the New Haven contract. Probably the only rifle I owned that truly needed a spring steel extractor was a .375, just because it was a .375.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Winchester Question - 08/09/17
Again thanks for the info. I know my rifle has the synthetic follower and I think it has the MIM Extractor. There is 1 line across the face of the extractor that stops where the bevel starts. It is an indented line, not raised.

Thanks again.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Winchester Question - 08/09/17
It's MIM. I relied on my memory and it made the lines outies instead of innies.
© 24hourcampfire