Home
I took possession of the rifle this afternoon from my FFL.

Once I got her home I removed the barreled action from the stock. There are no indications of the rifle having been rebarreled. That is to say there were no vise marks or other scuff marks on the barrel itself which would suggest a rebarrel. The bottom of the barrel is marked SG for super grade, and the hash mark, for lack of a better term, on the barrel just before the action is exactly at the 6:00 position.

So anyway, I removed the Killmorgen (sp?) scope and the Weaver bases.

With Leupold dual dovetails the rifle weighs 7 lb 5 oz.

I have a unused Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on the shelf with which I may work upload development. I believe there will be a Leupold 3.5-10 in its future.

If anybody would like photos for informational purposes let me know what you'd like a picture of and I'll send it after the holiday weekend.

I believe I'm going to enjoy this one.
Awesome man. I think you did great. I'm picturing that rifle with those leupold DD's right now... Funny because I'm sending the set I had on my 270 fwt to a member here as I type this....
http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...270-super-grade-fwt.cfm?gun_id=100909831

Dave Riffle listed one today, FWIW.
Glad it worked out...
Congrats again on a sweet deal on an even sweeter rifle. The Rifle gun is marked sale pending. I don't know what the asking price was but someone thought it was a good deal.
Asking price was right around 6 1/2 k ...
And no, I had no interest at that price, but I saw the add independently and noted the price. Thought it high. Guess someone disagreed with me! 🤔
Conquest will not allow the ocular ring to clear the bolt handle.

Load development will be delayed.
Try a Leupold 3-9 Compact (or whatever they are calling it now.) They have a smaller ocular that works well on Pre '64 70's
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Conquest will not allow the ocular ring to clear the bolt handle.

Load development will be delayed.

What kind of rings and bases are you using? I've used medium DD's with no problems using similar scopes.
I have the S&K lows 1" and 30mm on both of my pre64s and the VariXIII 2.5x8 and Mark 4 10x oculars clear the bolt handles.
Thanks for the suggestion gentleman.

The rifle now wears a new Leupy 3.5 x 10 VX3i mounted in Leupold dual dovetail low rings

I will take a few pictures this afternoon, and take a shot at posting pics for the first time.
In my opinion, Leupold 3.5-10 is a great choice. My two "modern" M70s are so equipped. My deal with Pre '64 70s is that I really like low mounted scopes, and it drives me a little nuts when the occular, as opposed to the objective, dictates the mounting height. Thus the 3-9 Ultralight (I believe that is the current designation) on Pre '64s. With that scope, I can go with Super Low rings on the Leupold QD bases (the ones with the little levers.) I thought most Leupold mounting systems required medium height rings to clear the ocular on Pre '64s, using "non-compact" Leupold scopes, so I am a bit surprised dual dovetail lows work. My guess is that is going to be one sweet rifle.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Thanks for the suggestion gentleman.

The rifle now wears a new Leupy 3.5 x 10 VX3i mounted in Leupold dual dovetail low rings

I will take a few pictures this afternoon, and take a shot at posting pics for the first time.

Cool, that's a great combo all the way around.
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
In my opinion, Leupold 3.5-10 is a great choice. My two "modern" M70s are so equipped. My deal with Pre '64 70s is that I really like low mounted scopes, and it drives me a little nuts when the occular, as opposed to the objective, dictates the mounting height. Thus the 3-9 Ultralight (I believe that is the current designation) on Pre '64s. With that scope, I can go with Super Low rings on the Leupold QD bases (the ones with the little levers.) I thought most Leupold mounting systems required medium height rings to clear the ocular on Pre '64s, using "non-compact" Leupold scopes, so I am a bit surprised dual dovetail lows work. My guess is that is going to be one sweet rifle.

I also use low DD's with my 3-9x40 rifles scopes. From Burris FFII's to leupolds to nikon's... They work great.. When you step up to a bigger ocular like a Zeiss conquest or some of the newer Nikon monarch, you have to step up to the mediums.... You also need mediums when you use an adjustable objective where the bell is over 44mm. DD's just work and they work well....
Sorry gents no pictures this afternoon.

The misses had other ideas, just got back from the garden center we've been doing a bunch of fall planting today.

I'll try to get it done this week sometime.

And hopefully get some range time in during the holiday weekend.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12321331#Post12321331

Pics
Great looking rifle! near the top of my "wish list" that along with a gopher special 270 featherweight
So I finally got around to shooting the rifle.

I used everybody's favorite load of 60 grains of reloader 26 under a 150 grain Nosler partition.

3 shots, two touching, total group at 3/5", velocity was 3030 fps.

We shall see if she can repeat that level of accuracy.

I will also play with the OAL a bit to see if it tightens up.
I know a guy here in BC who had a very choice Fwt. SG .270W. a few years ago, but, he trades and it went. I had the two std. Fwts plus one made up on a 1946 action at the time and felt that 3 .270s was plenty for me.

Nice rifles, tho, but, I do prefer my Brno 21s and ZGs, all in all.

Should maybe slap a good plastic handle on it and come to BC to shoot a Stone's Sheep, B/4 the current commie government shuts that hunting down as they now have Grizzlies. B*zturds!
Originally Posted by SNAP
Should maybe slap a good plastic handle on it and come to BC to shoot a Stone's Sheep, B/4 the current commie government shuts that hunting down as they now have Grizzlies. B*zturds!

Be careful Dewey, a guy could take that as an invitation!
You really lucked out on a great rifle and it shoots as well, it really doesn't get any better. After a month of grouse hunting I went to the range today, the SG 300 H&H took two shots both touching to confirm zero. Now all I need is a nice buck to use it on.
I shot the rifle again this morning with the 140 accubond and reloader 26.

59.5 grains out of a cold clean barrel gave me an average of 3026 feet per second and a group of .85".

I think I will take her still hunting on Saturday.
Nice,good luck putting it on fur!
I am glad this turned out to have a happy ending.
Thanks Gents.

I reloaded the 150 partition and the RL 26 load with varying OAL, to see if I could tighten that group up.

I also loaded the 130 partition over H4831SC.

I really don't need more than one 270. This rifle has me considering selling my custom Grisel double square Bridge small ring Mauser which was stocked by Ottmar.
I am too old and now rather gimped, but, I would love to have that Ottmar, in one of my safes. I used to shoot with a well-off guy who had a couple Ottmars, and his styling was outstanding, IMO.

However, what little hunting I can still do is best done with my KMA .280AI, and Dakota 76 in that Hill stock you sold me and Ralf installed in 2010.....WHERE do the years go?

Just say your PMs here, will reply this evening.
Beautiful rifle in all respects.
© 24hourcampfire