Home
Posted By: Shortgrub 1895 Winchester? - 09/14/17
just picked up a 1895 Winchester in 30-06. It has been drilled and tapped on the top, right side of the receiver for what I would think would be for a
receiver sight like a Lyman or Redfield? Did they make a sight that would be mounted on the right side? The front sight is like a peep sight with a blade on the top.

thanks
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 1895 Winchester? - 09/14/17
Probably D&T'd for old Weaver or Redfield scope side mount, would be my guess.

Photo might help if you can post one!
Posted By: ipopum Re: 1895 Winchester? - 09/14/17
Most of the ones I have seen were drilled and taped on the left side.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: 1895 Winchester? - 09/14/17
I owned a custom 1895 .30-06 that had been drilled & tapped on the left side and had a Lyman 48 that had been machined to fit. I have never seen a receiver sight for the 1895 that mounted on the right side nor a side mount for scope mounting.
Or D & T'ed top of bolt for a receiver sight mounted on that flat surface. Have one '95 SRC that was both D & T 'ed for a Lyman # 21 and such a peep on top of bolt.

There were other scope side mounts available back in the day other than the two I mentioned above. And I would never doubt someone fitting a sidemount to the right side of receiver. People will have just about anything done to a gun.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 1895 Winchester? - 09/14/17
Might have been a custom thing for some "crazy south-paw". smile My great grandfather's '95 has a side mount and the scope, too, truly is off to the side, not over the top of the action, so that wouldn't work so good for someone shooting from the "wrong" smile side. Just a thought .. random .. guess ..
Posted By: tmitch Re: 1895 Winchester? - 09/14/17
Hard to tell without a picture but if it's for a scope mount, more than likely the owner that had it D&T'd was left handed.

* T O M beat me to it crazy
I agree fellas! I've worked on several 94's so set up on right side. For a southpaw. It was merely my speculation. I dunno? If someone would Do it to a 94, why not a 95? Give the customer what they want. Like I mentioned it never ceased to amaze me what folks will do their guns. Bottom line is make em happy!
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: 1895 Winchester? - 09/14/17
Not really great at the picture thing. Its just a shooter. Blueing and wood redone. Not bad, but. It has a Marbles Improved Sight for the front. I like the idea of it. Can't wait to get to the range. I've been wanting an 06 to go along with my 38-72. Great rifles. Are there any people out there that sells original sights?
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: 1895 Winchester? - 09/29/17
My late father used to shoot a Pre '64 M94 with the ubiquitous (for Texas) Weaver side mount and Weaver K4 left handed, but with the scope on the usual left side. He managed. Then someone on the deer lease came up with a M94 .25-35 with the same set-up mounted on the right side. Crowded the loading port a bit, but it worked. As my friend Kaywoodie says, look around long enough and you will see all manner of things.
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: 1895 Winchester? - 10/07/17
Buffalo Arms makes a replica Lyman sight for the 1895, I got one for my gun

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire