Home
Posted By: AnsonRogers Winchester 54 30-30 value - 10/01/17
My FIL is going to sell his 54 in 30-30 with 4x Burris. I have not seen this gun. He says condition is very good.

What's it worth? There is one on GB right now with 5 days left to go and it's at $760. I need info quickly, he is taking them to some potential buyer tomorrow. Thanks.
Condition is everything. Sounds like the rear bridge on your fil's gun is non-factory d&t for scope mounts. If so, there would be little collector interest. Nice shooter if that's what you're looking for. Personally, I'd pass....

The rifle on GB is a carbine with an extra hole in the rear bridge and a buttplate that is not original to the gun (the stock most likely has been cut). I'd pass on that one too.
Thanks for the info. I am not the buyer. He just ask me for an idea of value, He does not use the internet. I'm just trying to keep him from getting ripped off.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winchester 54 30-30 value - 10/02/17
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Condition is everything. Sounds like the rear bridge on your fil's gun is non-factory d&t for scope mounts. If so, there would be little collector interest. Nice shooter if that's what you're looking for. Personally, I'd pass....

The rifle on GB is a carbine with an extra hole in the rear bridge and a buttplate that is not original to the gun (the stock most likely has been cut). I'd pass on that one too.

My sentiments also. In addition, if it has a "modern" scope mounted on it, I'll bet the bolt handle was altered accordingly also. Otherwise the scope would be so high in the air as to completely negate a decent cheek weld.

It would make for a fun shooter but therein lies its main value. I would pay $500 give or take for such a specimen if I saw it at a show and if I were in a good mood, given the bore is pristine. On the other hand, it could be the basis for a custom job designed around another rimmed cartridge which otherwise would be a no-no for a standard rimless M54 action. Such cartridges as .25-35, Savage .22 High Power, .219 Zipper, etc. come to mind. A nice heavy barrel coupled to a nice bolt action such as this, to bring out the full potential of such hoary rounds, with repeater capability (if that matters).
© 24hourcampfire