Home
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site, but have been reading on it a lot, and have got a lot of great info thank for that..
I am hoping someone can answer a question, I have just acquired a beautiful Winchester model 70 from 1946
It is stamped 30govt03 ?? I am told it was a faulty factory stamp and it is truly a 30govt06??
I guess I could see that if I stare at the stamping long enough, but sure is a 03 not a 06
Can anyone shed a little lite on this, would really like to know the cal, the guy I bought it from did not know, it was his late fathers gun
Thanks
I have a 1949 Win 70 Super Grade with 1948 dated barrel that is 30 Gov't 06 but the 6 is poorly struck and looks like a 3 for sure. I gave up posting pics when photobucket or whoever it was stopped the third party stuff.

All of that being said, the fore runner of the 30-06 was the 30-03. A very few, very early m1903 Springfields were made in that caliber. I have never heard of a 30 Gov't 03 Win 70 but that doesn't mean it wasn't special ordered.

A chamber cast will tell the truth. My money is on poorly struck 6. I will email you a pic of mine if you send me your email.
I have heard of Winchester 1895 lever guns stamped 30 GOVT 03 but have never seen one in person.
A quick call to Winchester could answer your question.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have heard of Winchester 1895 lever guns stamped 30 GOVT 03 but have never seen one in person.

I have just such an animal....mfg 1905. It's really nice shape....
by the way welcome.....
We would love to see pictures if you ca figure out how to post them...
© 24hourcampfire