Home
I thought pre '64's were a little flat of late, but it only takes one buyer.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...4-featherweight-270.cfm?gun_id=101005876
They'll have that one for a while especially at that price. Pre'64 M/70's haven't exactly been flying off the shelf lately.
Way too much...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Way too much...

Agreed, I have a cherry 1959 year model 270 FWT, wouldn't dream of asking that much for it were I to sell it. crazy
The gun won’t be there long, someone will buy it....
Pocono, youre not going to coment on the stock finish and the checkering? I didnt catch the serial #, but they started manufacture of the 270 fwts in 1955. Nevermind the serial #, i just zoomed in on the picture and it was made in 1955. However, the seller (steve barnet) failed to mention what looks like a nice crack in the tang of the stock. Give us your honest opinion on that rifle.
Oh, that's just a "drying line". I'll email a concern and see what the response is.

****Question was asked - I'll post the reply here" ****
That sure looks like a crack to me....
Steve Barnett replied and said, "Not sure what that means. I am the owner of 95% of my inventory and I'll take $2100".

Evidently he didn't know what I meant when I wrote - it looks like a possible crack behind the tang in photo #5.

So there you have it.....................
I never trusted him or perry county, someone that magically and repeatedly comes up with rare Model 70's is extremely suspect to me.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Steve Barnett replied and said, "Not sure what that means. I am the owner of 95% of my inventory and I'll take $2100".

Evidently he didn't know what I meant when I wrote - it looks like a possible crack behind the tang in photo #5.

Extreme case of "buyer beware"!!!!
Several of the dealers that always seem to have high condition rare M/70's are guilty of "humping them up". Winchester M/70's are getting to be like Colt SAA's, lotsa suspicious ones out there to the point that Caveat Emptore definately applies.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Extreme case of "buyer beware"!!!!

Extreme case of avoiding the question too.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Several of the dealers that always seem to have high condition rare M/70's are guilty of "humping them up". Winchester M/70's are getting to be like Colt SAA's, lotsa suspicious ones out there to the point that Caveat Emptore definately applies.

Funny that you mention that and that Steve Barnett comes up in this thread.

He listed three Pre-64 super grade featherweights yesterday.
Yes well into the $7k price points.
Looks like he mentioned the small crack behind the tang...and it's now "sale pending".
Bob
Originally Posted by RGK
Looks like he mentioned the small crack behind the tang...and it's now "sale pending".
Bob

Well I guess he understood my question after all! Simply amazing what people will pay for things.
Bigwhoop: Apparently this Rifle has now sold?
Don't know the particulars but my similar condition (maybe a tad better!), similar vintage Featherweight 270 wouldn't even come out of one of my gunsafes into my gun vault room for a look'see on an offer that low!
It IS very difficult to find a collection quality early Featherweight in caliber 270 Winchester nowadays!
I know, I been chasin'em for right past half a century now.
Featherweight 270 pre-64 Model 70 Rifles simply got Hunted with and used up they were so popular as Hunting guns!
Again, trying to find a mint condition (not that the linked to Rifle IS mint!) 270 Featherweight is tough duty.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bigwhoop: Apparently this Rifle has now sold?
Don't know the particulars but my similar condition (maybe a tad better!), similar vintage Featherweight 270 wouldn't even come out of one of my gunsafes into my gun vault room for a look'see on an offer that low!
It IS very difficult to find a collection quality early Featherweight in caliber 270 Winchester nowadays!
I know, I been chasin'em for right past half a century now.
Featherweight 270 pre-64 Model 70 Rifles simply got Hunted with and used up they were so popular as Hunting guns!
Again, trying to find a mint condition (not that the linked to Rifle IS mint!) 270 Featherweight is tough duty.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That rifle was a far cry from being a collector. Did you happen to see the crack in the stock at the tang? When i bought my 270 fwt (which was primo compared to this one), the seller had 3 more on the table just like it. One was actually in new/never fired condition. He was wanting $1,700.00 for that beauty. I paid $1350 for the one i bought because i wanted a rifle to shoot and hunt with. Besides from the fact that rifle was pretty cherry, it was also the best shooter in the bunch (according to the seller, who ive known for over 20 years). Moral of the story: there are better rifles out there and for far less money wink
They don't seem to be making what they were a bit ago. I put my '54 257 Roberts up (95-98%) for sale with dies brass bullets and a Zeiss Conquest for $2200 and no one wanted it. Actually glad now no one bought it. It would be hard to replace. Unfortunately there is always something else shiny that I just have to have. LOL
Originally Posted by smithrjd
They don't seem to be making what they were a bit ago. I put my '54 257 Roberts up (95-98%) for sale with dies brass bullets and a Zeiss Conquest for $2200 and no one wanted it. Actually glad now no one bought it. It would be hard to replace. Unfortunately there is always something else shiny that I just have to have. LOL

Yep, the market is soft right now.
Originally Posted by gunner500
I never trusted him or perry county, someone that magically and repeatedly comes up with rare Model 70's is extremely suspect to me.

You can add a seller way down south to your list.
Originally Posted by model70man

Yes you can...
Originally Posted by Whitebird

Yes you can...

I agree.
I was also thinking that. I'm glad you guys confirmed it...
I've also handled some of those southern guns that were obviously redone. I don't know how folks still buy them.
Originally Posted by donsm70
Originally Posted by Whitebird

Yes you can...

I agree.

Dang, do tell gents, would it be CF in the Big H?
Originally Posted by Horseman
I've also handled some of those southern guns that were obviously redone. I don't know how folks still buy them.

They are ignorant..
Sale no longer pending, this gun is Sold. Someone obviously felt it was worth the $’s....
Bsa1917hunter: Looks like the market is still alive and well - gun sold!
Headed for a big gunshow tomorrow with a pocket full of jingle - and am in the mood to find some of your "soft market" pre-64 Model 70's therein!
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire