Posted By: wageslave Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 03/27/18
Wow. Nice find. Congrats.
Posted By: steve99 Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 03/27/18
That is special, congrats!
Very cool!!!
Japan gun?
Hard to beat a 20 ga. Imp Cyl gun....
Posted By: battue Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 03/27/18
From talking with the dealer I originally thought it was a pre-64, but the price seemed a little too good. Soooo, when it arrived-and the serial number and box looked a little off for the time-I just did some googling and it turns out that while it was made by Winchester it was actually made in 1993 and was what is known as "Classic Traditions." All Winchester markings, and I could return it, but it is really nice and will keep it.

I also have a Japanese Browning repo and this one is definitely of a slightly higher quality. The blueing is outstanding, the fit also better.

Congrats on a wonderful find.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 03/29/18
Very nice.

donsm70
Posted By: RGK Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 03/29/18
Originally Posted by battue
From talking with the dealer I originally thought it was a pre-64, but the price seemed a little too good. Soooo, when it arrived-and the serial number and box looked a little off for the time-I just did some googling and it turns out that while it was made by Winchester it was actually made in 1993 and was what is known as "Classic Traditions." All Winchester markings, and I could return it, but it is really nice and will keep it.

I also have a Japanese Browning repo and this one is definitely of a slightly higher quality. The blueing is outstanding, the fit also better.

I wouldn't complain. Nice M12. And a 20, too.
Bob
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 03/29/18
If a fella was going to have but one pump gun....
Posted By: battue Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 03/30/18
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Very cool!!!
Japan gun?

Yes, on closer inspection and even though it has all Winchester markings, the box indicates it was made in Japan.

It still is about as nice an example as you will find.
Posted By: battue Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 04/07/18
Today the boys got together and we put on our own last of the season woodland Chucker shoot. Merlot did well and the new model 12 had some of the new knocked off.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Pretty cool
Posted By: Autofive Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 04/08/18
Very nice find!
Posted By: Odessa Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 04/08/18
Glad to see it being used, no need to preserve a Japanese made M12 (even though the quality is very high and yours looks particularly nice) - these guns were made to be used. Nice picture of Merlot.
Posted By: battue Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 04/08/18
Thanks to all,

It is a really good Model 12 repo and perhaps as well made as the originals. That being said, the original Winchester ones were all made to be used hard. Many for some reason-money most definitely-have lost that perspective of reality.

Have two original 16Ga Model 12's that use has knocked off the shine. However, they were used for what they were made for, which in my mind is added value.

If this 20ga had been an original ANIB, the pics would look pretty much the same.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brad Re: Still in the wrapper.... - 04/08/18
Great Pics... always loved the Model 12.
© 24hourcampfire