Home
Posted By: Slope77 S/A stock and bottom metal - 11/22/18
I recently picked up a SS M70 Ultimate Shadow. It has 1-piece bottom metal. In anticipation of this project (and before I knew these rifles had one-piece metal), I picked up a really nice walnut short action sporter stock at a good price.

First off, when I bought the stock, I thought it was a bit odd because I don’t remember Winchester making a short action sporter in a walnut stock other than Supergrades, which this does not appear to be. Before I go changing anything, would this be a rare stock that is valuable as is?

If not, I am considering having it Inletted for the one-piece bottom metal. Is a guy better off doing that or trying to pick up stainless, 2-piece, short action bottom metal somewhere? Seems like kind of a needle in haystack at this point.
Posted By: Kansan Re: S/A stock and bottom metal - 11/22/18
I don't think you have a rare piece there, but I could be wrong. I know a website out of Missouri that has a ton of factory Winchester stocks. Most of them are NOS USRAC when they went out of business. I believe they bought out stock when the factory closed. I would post the link here, but not sure if that is allowed. PM me and I will send you the link. If you don't want to take the chance on your current stock, this site will have what you need. I bought a Walnut Sporter stock for a M70 Classic Stainless 300 WM and it fit like a glove.

MODS: If it ok to post a link, let me know. I am in no way affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer.

Kansan
Link away. Beauty of 24H.

Welcome to the fire; and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Posted By: Kansan Re: S/A stock and bottom metal - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Link away. Beauty of 24H.

Welcome to the fire; and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Thanks, AKwolverine and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and to all on 24H.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/winchester-model-70/stocks.html#/perpage:48

Not sure why the hyperlink isn't working but just copy and paste into a new window or tab and there you are...

Hope you find what you need here...

Kansan
Posted By: Slope77 Re: S/A stock and bottom metal - 11/24/18
Thanks, KS, I’ll check them out
Posted By: Slope77 Re: S/A stock and bottom metal - 05/18/19
Old thread, but I figured out what I have. The barrel channel is bigger than needed for a sporter. I think it was from a Sporter Varmint.

So if a guy had this stock and could find a short action - what would you build with it? Hypothetical at this point, because I don’t have the action.
In the late 80's early 90's they made some push feed short action Sporters and Heavy Varmints.

I've numerous Sporter weights, but not into heavy's, so no opinion on your question.
© 24hourcampfire