Home
Have had lots of fun finding, owning and shooting a number of Winchesters. This Forum has made it even more enjoyable. But my interest in acquiring new examples has waned and a good number have been sold off (two 12's, two 88's, two 94's and a Model 70). Probably broke even on the one's that got sold. Now down to the core collection:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any additional Winchester stuff coming into the fold would probably be Ned Shwing's Winchester's Finest (on the Model 21) or Roger Rule's The Rifleman's Rifle (on the Model 70).

Anyone else think they might have hung up the Winchester spurs?
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

Nope
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

Nope

+1
Maybe if I answer yes, God, in a humorous mood, will send another my way just too good to pass up.

So yes, I'm done. Wouldn't take another Winchester even if you gave it to me.
My Winchesters are all M70s. I have six of them from 243 to 338. I don’t think there is a slot left to fill, unless I suddenly can afford to hunt Africa and can justify a 416. I think I am done buying Winchesters, and getting real close to done buying any more guns at all.
No, I will run out of money and/or time before then! That fwt of yours is VERY nice!
Its a fortunate thing that some people decide to sell their Winchesters...if they didn't demand would quickly outstrip supply!

Are you kidding? I can't stop looking and not just at Winchester. Just a few of what I have, but I like the pre-war carbine model 70's. Then there are saddle ring carbines and not all are Winchester...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
One great thing about the ‘fire is that I know there are bigger (worse or better?) gun nuts than me. 😁

Very nice, Shrap.
Very nice indeed!!!
Hell. No. Why would i give up on Winchester? Especially the older ones, like the pre 64 model 70. I dont buy them as an investment as much as i buy them for the enjoyment of using them. Thats not saying ive ever lost money on one though.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hell. No. Why would i give up on Winchester? Especially the older ones, like the pre 64 model 70. I dont buy them as an investment as much as i buy them for the enjoyment of using them. Thats not saying ive ever lost money on one though.

One will never lose money on model 70..
If a Model 64 Deluxe in 32 special becomes available I sure will be sorely tempted to buy one.
Originally Posted by 79S

I agree. Even the ones you buy will be worth something one of these days.. shocked grin
Originally Posted by 79S

Actually, that depends upon how well bought the gun was....
I have been "done" with buying pre-64's many times. Almost fell off the wagon again a couple of weeks ago.
I've slowed down, but that doesn't mean I've stopped... grin . Had to get my hands dirty on some AR's and ugly savage rifles lately, just to see what all the fuss was about.. whistle
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Originally Posted by 79S

Actually, that depends upon how well bought the gun was....

I've never bought a model 70 that wasn't a damn damn good deal... wink . With that being said, I highly doubt the original buyer lost money. Well, maybe one or 2 of them did, but for the most part they were happy to sell and I was happy to buy. How much did pre 64's originally sell for again? smirk . One of the last rifles I bought locally. 7mm08 classic featherweight:
[Linked Image]

Guy sold it to me for $800.00. I sold the scope for $350.00. He also threw in 4 boxes of premium factory ammo for it. Do the math. There are a lot of good deals out there, just have to know where to find them. There are good places to sell them too. Just have to know where that is as well....
I'd like to have one more

A pre 64 M70 308 featherweight.

Waiting for the right gun
BSA, heck of a deal on a nice M70. If its the one I'm thinking of, you beat me by day; bet it shoots as good as is looks grin
Originally Posted by Cattledog
BSA, heck of a deal on a nice M70. If its the one I'm thinking of, you beat me by day; bet it shoots as good as is looks grin

Thanks, after glass bedding it and minimal load work up, I found a load (thanks to pharm) that is sub moa (for 3-5 shots). However, I'm still not done with load development. Need to switch to a magnum primer with the big game powder.
I bought it locally. A very nice guy from the Seattle area. He met me in Olympia. I couldn't believe it when he started pulling boxes of good ammo out of his trunk. Saying, "here you are going to need this too". Like I said, one hell of a good guy. The sad thing is I haven't even wrung it out yet. Like I said, need to try a magnum primer. However, I've Been too busy shooting my new savage rifles. Just got back from shooting a rifle I bought yesterday for a song. Looks pretty promising for an unbedded rifle, with a used unproven scope. I'm a little leery about the scope and its tracking though. Didn't go exactly where I wanted it to after adjustment:
[Linked Image]

I'll eventually throw a SWFA SS 16x on it, like what's on my Creedmoor. Here's the rifle:
[Linked Image]

Appears to be sub moa, right out of the box. This is with a load that my ruger m77 vt liked:
[Linked Image]
I'll glass bed this sob and stiffen up the forend, find a good load it likes and probably have a good shooter on my hands. wink

Like I said, just because I'm playing with ugly savages and AR's at the moment, that doesn't mean I'm giving up on Winchesters. They will always be my favorites....
Yes sir, that's the one ! I'd talked to him, a good guy, just couldn't get our schedules sync'd up to meet. Good on you, buddy. Force is strong in this one, shows great potential.
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Yes sir, that's the one ! I'd talked to him, a good guy, just couldn't get our schedules sync'd up to meet. Good on you, buddy. Force is strong in this one, shows great potential.

Yep. He was a great guy. Even paid for the transfer. The funny thing is it was advertised for a while there. I kept going back to see if it was sold yet. I talked to him a couple times in PM's and told him his rifle was definitely worth his asking price. Especially with the older Leupold 2.5-8x36 on board. I told him if no one bought it, I was going to make the drive and meet with him. There was also a beautiful 30-06 fwt listed at the same place for $600, then he dropped it to $550.00, then even lower. I was feeling bad for that guy because I knew the rifle was worth far more than that. I could have sold it on GB easily for $750.00. Still kicking myself in the azz for not buying that one. Now I feel bad, I didn't even tell you in our pm's last june where that rifle was, but you probably saw it for yourself anyway, if you frequent that site very often. That 30-06 was sweeeeet.
© 24hourcampfire