Home
Posted By: kenster99 Winchester model 54 - 01/16/19
Any fans of these out there? I found pretty much a duplicate of one I let go 50 years ago. Its the carbine model, 20"barrel 30-06, I think made in 1929. Blueing wear, but still a good solid rifle.Original butt plate, uncheckered stock with the groove in forearm.Sight is missing,replaced with a reciever peep.Hard w/o pic, but an estimate on value?
Thanks
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/16/19
Had one in 30 Gov't. Nice.
Posted By: carbinecol Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/16/19
There aren't many, but there are a few fans of them. Me included. Very hard to find original ones. The carbine seems especially hard to find. Makes for boring collecting, but allows for more time to learn and appreciate.
Posted By: BLR358WIN Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/16/19
Ken, last year at an auction I saw a carbine just like yours though slightly customized go for 600 bucks
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/16/19
Thanks. I think I can pick this one up for about that same price.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/17/19
For that kind of money I would snatch it up.
Posted By: z1r Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/17/19
I have one in .30-30, really like it, a lot. It would be one of the very last guns I would let go.

Saw one here recently in .06, another carbine that bad been altered for scope use. I had no interest in it but an unaltered example, now that's another story. Asking price was around $600.
Posted By: aguyinAK Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
I tired collecting those for about 2 cups of coffee, but in unaltered condition they are like hens teeth. For a while I had a carbine 30-06, and a standard 30-06. That’s as far as I got, I think at the time I was paying about 400$ a gun this is a few years ago now. Still a great gun just didn’t have the patience. Good luck.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
There was a M54 Super Grade in 257R on GUNSINTERNATIONAL for quite awhile before it sold. I think it was priced $1800
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
have had many in 270 and 30-06 but finding them unaltered is almost impossible. the last one i had had 12, count em , 12 holes in the barrel alone
would love one in 3030
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
Originally Posted by z1r
I have one in .30-30, really like it, a lot. It would be one of the very last guns I would let go.

Ditto for my 54 .30-30.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
Only alteration on my 54 is a Lyman 48 receiver sight. I like it!

It’s a 30Govt 06
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
I would dearly love a .22 Hornet M54. "I will name it George. I will hug it, and pet it, and squeeze it" (apologies to Looney Tunes/ Daffy Duck).
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
A hornet probably a hard one to find!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
Originally Posted by kenster99
A hornet probably a hard one to find!
[Linked Image]

That’s a carbine stock and not original to the gun as Winchester never catalogued a M54 22 Hornet carbine.

Posted By: Loggah Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
Gary, I had a pretty near mint one in 22 Hornet ,but let it go about 2 years ago, because i just couldn't stand that it had been drilled and tapped for target scope blocks !!!!!!!! crazy crazy
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/18/19
Thats a 30-06 I posted. Just making a statement to gnoahhh, hard to find a 54 22 hornet. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/19/19
Originally Posted by Loggah
Gary, I had a pretty near mint one in 22 Hornet ,but let it go about 2 years ago, because i just couldn't stand that it had been drilled and tapped for target scope blocks !!!!!!!! crazy crazy

If that happens again, Don, I'll gladly drive to New Hampshire! D/T'ed for Weaver mounts (which probably means the bolt handle's altered too), nah, but one extra set of holes for Unertl blocks wouldn't phase me in the least- although why someone would do that is beyond me considering that SOP is to use the dovetail to hold the front mount in conjunction with the factory holes on the ring. The first thing I would do with it would be to slap a Unertl on it anyway regardless.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/19/19
Junk.................
In one way they are, in terms of junk to a junkie. Gotta feed the addiction.

...But that's the only way.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Only alteration on my 54 is a Lyman 48 receiver sight. I like it!

It’s a 30Govt 06

Here too! 48's rule. Now and then I install a scope block in the rear dovetail (the original barrel sight remains tucked away for posterity) and one or the other Unertl's gets clamped on for some serious cast bullet load testing. Since I've owned it cast bullets have been the only things I've sent down its bore. It makes it into the deer woods every year while sporting its Lyman 48.
Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

'54,Shilen spout,McMillan G&H,Skookum trigger,K-Hornet(minimum headspace),yada,yada,yada.

[Linked Image]

Hint......................
Pretty nifty for what it is, but it's not a M54 now, is it?
Your INCREDIBLE Dumbfhuqktitude never disappoints.

Wow +P+!..............
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/20/19
A Skookum trigger? I’ve never heard of that brand name.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/20/19
Your "knowledge",don't skew facts.

Hint.................
Posted By: Kansan Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/20/19
I have a 54 in 270 made in 1925 (2 digit SN). Unfortunately, someone had it drilled and tapped for a Griffin & Howe scope mount....

Kansan
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Winchester model 54 - 01/20/19
Enjoy those old rifles. smile
Posted By: Seafire Re: Winchester model 54 - 02/04/19
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by z1r

Ditto for my 54 .30-30.

2:30 AM insomnia and then I stumble across this again....

as I head back to bed after winching in excruciating envy...

This is my ultimate pawn shop finding goal....
Posted By: pacecars Re: Winchester model 54 - 02/05/19
Had a mint one in .270 from the year it was introduced but sold it several years ago
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Winchester model 54 - 02/08/19
Originally Posted by Kansan
I have a 54 in 270 made in 1925 (2 digit SN). Unfortunately, someone had it drilled and tapped for a Griffin & Howe scope mount....

Kansan

Originally Posted by Kansan

Kansan

If it makes you feel any better, consider that at the time that was considered one of the best set ups to be had.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winchester model 54 - 02/11/19
Did they alter the bolt handle too? The G&H setup wouldn't make me cry- I'm a user not a collector, and I love the G&H system, a lot. D/T'ed for Weaver mounts and I'm pained.
Posted By: Kansan Re: Winchester model 54 - 03/03/19
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Did they alter the bolt handle too? The G&H setup wouldn't make me cry- I'm a user not a collector, and I love the G&H system, a lot. D/T'ed for Weaver mounts and I'm pained.

As far as I know, the bolt handle hasn't been altered and the G&H is long gone. Never looked for one, but not sure how hard it would be to find one....

Kansan
© 24hourcampfire