Home

The Livingston gun show is this weekend, I went early Friday with a couple friends and when I got there, I was told about a Winchester low wall that was stamped "W.F. Sheard, Livingston, Montana." I looked at it and it is an original half round half octagon in 22 Long. Not many of those around and the bore is shiney, so I bought it. Gophers are only a month away from seeing the wrong end of the Winchester...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice !!! still got a little case color on the receiver. is the barrel a number 1? i have one in a winder that i really should try out on some squirrels some day.
Awesome snag!
Excellent!!
I had an 1886 in .40/82 a long time ago that was marked W F Sheard right behind the front sight on the barrel flat. Memory is faulty, but it may have said Livingston M T.
Originally Posted by bigolddave
I had an 1886 in .40/82 a long time ago that was marked W F Sheard right behind the front sight on the barrel flat. Memory is faulty, but it may have said Livingston M T.

It probably looked like one of these. I have several other Sheard marked guns; 1876 Winchester 45-75, 1886 Winchester 40-65 and a Marlin 1889 44-40...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Shrap,
Did Mr. Sheard perform any service or work on these rifles with his stamp on them?
If so, what mods did he typically do?
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Shrap,
Did Mr. Sheard perform any service or work on these rifles with his stamp on them?
If so, what mods did he typically do?

He was similar to Walter Cooper in Bozeman, selling guns and working on them. He had lots of sights as well as retail outlet in Livingston store, relocating in Tacoma Washington in the mid 1890’s...
Heres one of his sights from his Tacoma shop on a 1899 savage.

[Linked Image]

I upgraded this nice old gun with a Lyman tang peep and a rare Sheard front sight. The gophers are in trouble if it ever thaws out...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Great find, If you tire of it Im in the hunt..
Great rifle, any idea when it was manufactured?
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Great find, If you tire of it Im in the hunt..

Hey, hadn't seen any posts from you in a while. Welcome back! Hope all is well with you and yours.
© 24hourcampfire