Home
Just scored a lightly used Super Grade LW in 7mm Mauser (7x57). Beautiful wood, red recoil pad, inlet swivel studs, steel grip cap, controlled round feed. Came with Leupold rings & bases too. It is a BACO Made in USA Model. I believe these were a limited run but I don't know how many. Serial # begins with 35CZX0....

Does anyone know what year these were made of how many? Not sure what kind of wood either, but lots of figure. It is obviously pre-Portugal.

Attached picture M70 SG LW Full.JPG
Attached picture M70 SG LW Inlet Swiv.JPG
Attached picture M70 SG LW Name.JPG
Attached picture M70 SG LW SteelGrpCp.JPG
Attached picture M70 SG LW Stock.JPG
Pictures or it didn't happen!
No "I have a new rifle" thread without pictures!
Them's the rules! Unofficial, true. But them's the rules!
I have it’s twin I bought on here a few years ago. The wood on mine is AMAZING. I will try to look back through my PMs and see if I can get any information for you.
Don't know the year but do know that's a sweet rifle. Nice score.
There is one on GB right now for $1600.
I don't have the answers to your questions, but that is a gorgeous rifle in a great chambering for a Featherweight, or Lightweight, or whatever it is properly called.
WOW!

What a gorgeous rifle!!!!!

Congratulations and may you enjoy it for many, many years to come.

Blessings,

Steve
That’s a dandy!!!!!!
Congrats! damn what a looker.
I think these were made around the same time as the JOC Tribute and Cabela's 50th anniversary rifles. They're built pretty much the same but without the engraving. As I recall, they may have also been a Cabela's exclusive. My memory is a bit fuzzy on this, though, so I may be way off. It might be somewhere to start looking.
Yes the Cabela's 50th Anniversary appears to be the same model with the exception of the floor plate. There is a one on GB as well as two others like mine. But not a lot of detail out there it seems. Like what kind of wood, year made, how many etc. There were apparently 500 made in 270 chambering as well with Grade V walnut stocks, but those look different than the 7mm mausers.
Cabelas had a run of both .257 Roberts and 7x57 rifles in limited edition. There were also some .458 Win Mag and 375 H&H Model 70's that were also made in limited edition just after the .257 Roberts run. All were early BACO's made in South Carolina. The wood on many of these rifles was absolutely beautiful. Quality firearms in my opinion.
The wood on the 7mm Mausers seem to be a bit lighter than the Grade V wood on the other ones. Either it is just lighter, the stain is different, or it may be English Walnut. Not sure. Very pleased with it; it only has one mark/dent near the front inlet swivel. Just need to scope it now and see if it will shoot!
A bit off the subject, but Cabela's used to be a company that had special runs of tasteful guns built (although I wasn't wild about all the "bling" on the 50th Anniversary floor plates.)
I haven't set foot in a Cabela's for a good while, but apparently being bought by Bass Pro Shops has changed some things, and not for the better.
I found this...this helps some. Made in 2014 in limited run, but they don't say how many.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtw18H-hi4
Fantastic rifle. Very beautiful. I remember the Cabela's rifles. didn't know about the ones without the bling though.
Posted By: GF1 Re: New to me - M70 Super Grade LW - 03/19/19
I have the identical rifle, it was made in 2015. The box says Lightweight Supergrade, but the rifle is marked just like your’s and does not have a cheekpiece either. Mine shoots very well.
This looks like the Shot Show special from around 2013 or so, I believe there were 165 made mine have the same prefix to the serial number.
According to the youtube video they were made in 2014, which seems about right. I also heard there were 165 made. I can't wait to scope it and shoot it!
Posted By: GF1 Re: New to me - M70 Super Grade LW - 03/20/19
Mine was very well bedded to boot, front and rear, nicely free floated from the factory. Trigger pull was excellent out of the box. It now wears Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and a nice matte finish M8 4x28 scope. Shoots beautifully and is a very pretty rifle.
I was thinking of putting a Leupold fixed FX-II 4X or possibly 6X scope on her. not sure.
Finally got out this morning and shot this fine rifle wearing a new Leupold fixed 6x. The first three shots from one handload (IMR4320 and a 139gr Hornady Interlok) went into 0.9" as measured with my caliper. A second handload with the same bullet but with IMR4350 went into 0.5" as measured by my caliper, but only two shots. I only loaded a few up because I wanted to see which was more accurate. Took a few shots to get it on paper and then only had 2 left. Arrgh.

So anyway, I'd say those M70 Super Grades featherweights are pretty darn accurate. Actually so is my pushfeed XTR version as well!
Mine shoots very well with a 2.5-8 VXIII on her.
© 24hourcampfire