Home
What's the market like for these nowadays? I haven't kept up to speed on the Model 70 so need a little assistance. Came across some Classic FWTs for sale - 22-250, 7mm-08 and 280 Rem. The 280 has an uncheckered stock. All are in at least 90% condition. Asking price is $850-$900/EA. I'm thinking that's high, if so by how much? I searched gunbroker saw that a 22-250 w/ BOSS went for $845.

Also sitting there was a Model 70 Carbine in .250 Savage. Wanted $950 for it. Good price/bad price?

Thanks
What year of mfg, 5,6,7 digits after the G. Assuming they are blue 6 digit the 22-250 is a little high the 7mm-08 and 280 are priced fairly in my opinion.
Depends on when they were made.

G plus 5 or 6 digit serial number, prices are about right for short actions and a 280 which is a rare bird in a Classic, but, that stock is not original.

G plus 7 digits and that's too high for me.

If the serial doesn't start with "G" it's a BACO, not a Classic, and almost worthless in my book, re: trigger.
Sorry, I was typing over you Paul.
Originally Posted by Heeler

Also sitting there was a Model 70 Carbine in .250 Savage. Wanted $950 for it. Good price/bad price?

Thanks

Is that a typo? Was there a 2 or a 3 in front of the 9?
Originally Posted by 99guy

Thanks

I'm guessing mid '80s push feed Carbine.
The carbine is a mid '80's push feed.

The Classics are all G series. Going off of memory, the 7mm-08 was between 75000 and 100000, the 22-250 around 325000 and the 280 around 175,000.

RE the 280 stock. Is there an off chance the stock is either a custom shop order, special run, or possibly factory replacement? Reason I say this, is because the stock matches the other two perfectly, just minus the checkering.
There have been a lot of those uncheckered fwt stocks going around fleebay and GB lately. I believe they may have been Winchester made and sold off unfinished when the factory closed. I do not believe the rifle left the factory with that stock, but, could be.

All priced fairly. I'd buy the 7-08 quick like.
Originally Posted by winchester70
Originally Posted by 99guy

Thanks

I'm guessing mid '80s push feed Carbine.

Ahhhh.

OK

Still not a bad rifle in a great caliber...
Are you in the market for a nice 7mm08? Im about ready to list a beautiful classic fwt on gb. We'll see what it brings.
Originally Posted by winchester70
Sorry, I was typing over you Paul.

No problem, I appreciate all the the information members such as yourself have shared so that I can create my Winchester collection. I added to it today with a 6 digit stainless classic in 270 wsm i found at cabelas. It's as new and I paid 799 for reference. I had some points to use so it came home under 600 out of pocket.

I agree, that 7mm-08 would have come home with me.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Are you in the market for a nice 7mm08? Im about ready to list a beautiful classic fwt on gb. We'll see what it brings.

Hey BSA,
I recall that nice 7/08.... How does it shoot after you worked your magic to dial it in ?
Thanks
CD
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Hey BSA,
I recall that nice 7/08.... How does it shoot after you worked your magic to dial it in ?
Thanks
CD

Minute of deer laugh . Nah, actually i managed to shoot a 1 1/4" 5 shot group with it a couple months ago. I realized i hadnt even worked up a load for it, since i bought it. I tried big game powder in it with some 150 gr eldx bullets and it shot pretty good. I honestly cant find a dang thing wrong with the rifle, except its a 7 digit and isnt as accurate as my savages or a Tikka, but damn if it isnt pretty to look at. I hesitate to sell it because its such a nice rifle, and it is a classic. Good thing about that is the CRF and old style trigger..
© 24hourcampfire