Home
Posted By: postoak M70 Extractor change? - 05/04/19
I bought my first M70 in 25 or so years and at the range I thoughtlessly fed a cartridge as I would on a push feed and it went in just fine. Did Winchester change the extractor size or shape to allow this without breaking the extractor?
Posted By: McCray Re: M70 Extractor change? - 05/04/19
They changed the shape of the extractor. Although, some snap over the rim easier than others!
Posted By: Redneck Re: M70 Extractor change? - 05/06/19
Originally Posted by postoak
I bought my first M70 in 25 or so years and at the range I thoughtlessly fed a cartridge as I would on a push feed and it went in just fine. Did Winchester change the extractor size or shape to allow this without breaking the extractor?
They're supposed to do that... But like McCray sez, some are a bit harder to 'snap over' the rim than others.. If it's too harsh, the extractor needs a bit of TLC in refitting..
Posted By: postoak Re: M70 Extractor change? - 05/06/19
When was this change made? In New Haven, Carolina, or Portugal?
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: M70 Extractor change? - 05/06/19
Originally Posted by Redneck
They're supposed to do that... But like McCray sez, some are a bit harder to 'snap over' the rim than others.. If it's too harsh, the extractor needs a bit of TLC in refitting..

Even the Pre '64 extractors would snap over, correct?
And in general, it is less wearing on the extractor to control feed from the magazine, correct?
Posted By: southtexas Re: M70 Extractor change? - 05/06/19
Correct
Posted By: postoak Re: M70 Extractor change? - 05/06/19
Thanks GunDoc7. I always thought the original M 70s had to be loaded from the magazine. That must be Mauser 98s I was thinking of.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: M70 Extractor change? - 05/07/19
^^^^^^^
You're welcome. As noted, I do think it is less wearing on the extractor to load from the magazine.

I believe the Mauser 98 as originally designed had to be loaded from the magazine. But I think many were altered to "snap over", and I believe many commercial versions of the Mauser will snap over. It seems to be a trade off between the most reliable, robust extraction vs. the ability to drop one in and close the bolt if you are in a real hurry. Most seem to take the second choice.
Posted By: Redneck Re: M70 Extractor change? - 05/07/19
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by Redneck

Even the Pre '64 extractors would snap over, correct?
And in general, it is less wearing on the extractor to control feed from the magazine, correct?
Correct..
© 24hourcampfire