Home
Posted By: JohnGlenn Model 70 Super Grade - 05/07/19
If I auctioned this beauty on gunbroker what do you estimate it would bring? Any thoughts? Super Grade, .270, manufactured in 1951. Very good shape. Bluing is wearing around the edges of the floor plate, barrel end and bolt. A few very minor dings. But again, very good overall condition.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

[img]https://imgur.com/a/nlGSKxf[/img]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/07/19
Welcome to the Fire, John.

The link didn't work.

Pictures would help.

DF
Posted By: JohnGlenn Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/07/19
Thanks. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Tried it a million ways and generally I can figure these things out. Back to the drawing board.
Post photos on Imgur.com. If you have problems, let me know.

DF
Still trying.

Attached picture uzTk5kq - Imgur.jpg
Got it.

If you click on the Imgur photo it will enlarge and give you several options on the right. Click on the next to last one, click on copy then paste on this site. Picture will show without having to hit the link.

Nice rifle. Looks to be in good shape.

Some of these guys will respond, know more about those values than I do.

DF
[Linked Image]
Thanks DirtFarmer
Look forward to comments on this fine rifle.

Nice

DF
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/07/19
That is a nice rifle. I too look forward to comments, but I don't trust my knowledge of the market well enough to offer an opinion as to value.

That said, regardless of opinions, seeing what similar rifles actually sold for is a pretty good assessment of the market. .270 is popular and common. Popular is good if someone is buying a rifle and planning to shoot it. But common will not bring as much money in the collector market.

Also, it is great that is has the correct swivels (at least they look correct to me.)
Seems from what I've heard, that market may be a bit softer than it had been.

Nevertheless, it's worth what someone is willing to pay, as always.

DF
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/07/19

In the neighborhood of $2,000.00, + or - a couple hundred dollars depending upon who is bidding and how bad they want the gun.
The rear sight is not correct, it should be a Winchester 22G adjustable leaf spring rear sight.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

In the neighborhood of $2,000.00, + or - a couple hundred dollars depending upon who is bidding and how bad they want the gun.
The rear sight is not correct, it should be a Winchester 22G adjustable leaf spring rear sight.

How hard would it be to come up with a 22G rear sight?

DF
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/07/19
If the OP is serious about selling, some experts might want to point out the advantages of pictures with the stock removed (assuming removing the stock yields no bad surprises), and what exact pictures would possibly increase interest.
Sadly, I am very serious about selling. Not because I want to but because for the first time in my adult life I find myself in need of some cash. Advise away. Appreciate it....
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/08/19

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Not very hard.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/08/19

DF

Not very hard.

May be worth it as a collector.

DF
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by JohnGlenn
Sadly, I am very serious about selling. Not because I want to but because for the first time in my adult life I find myself in need of some cash. Advise away. Appreciate it....

Those with more expertise need to join in, but the first thing is to see exactly what is stamped on the underside of the barrel near the receiver. Also the "SUPER GRADE" stamp on the floor plate.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Those with more expertise need to join in, but the first thing is to see exactly what is stamped on the underside of the barrel near the receiver. Also the "SUPER GRADE" stamp on the floor plate.

Poconojack, no slouch when it comes to M-70's... cool
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/08/19

Dang, sorry you're in need of a bit of greenery, my surviving kin would be selling that rifle if it were mine, is there not another rifle/shotgun you have that could be sold?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/09/19

DF

Not very hard.

Not hard at all. The last 22G 3c I sold, went for $120.00 on ebay, about 7 years ago....
Posted By: sbrmike Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/09/19
You need to post some better pics. That gun looks reblued from that pic. That will knock the value way down.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/09/19
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Poconojack, no slouch when it comes to M-70's... cool

I'm not sure, but from your comment, I think you may have misunderstood me. I was saying that people with more expertise, Poconojack being a great example, should join in as far as suggesting to the OP what pictures to take, etc. I agree completely that Poconojack, sbrmike, and a couple of others are the ones who will give the OP the most expert advice. (I try to stay in my lane as well as within my depth.)
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/09/19
I sold a Super Grade at a gun show several years ago, not too long after making the sale the buyer shows up at the table with the barreled action in hand wanting to know why there is no super stamping on the undeside of the barrel. I referred him to the Winchester book specifically to the part where it says that not all Super Grade barrels were stamped especially the late ones. I don't exclusively depend on its presence to indicate correctness as long as all the other S.G. features are there I'm good with the gun.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Model 70 Super Grade - 05/09/19
^^^^^^^
Good comments. But it is also worth saying that if those stamps are present, it should provide some extra measure of assurance that the gun is correct. Wouldn't you agree?

The rifle is said to be made in 1951. You mention late models. I do not have the expertise to comment on if one should especially expect a 1951 to have the stamps.
© 24hourcampfire