Home
Spotted a New Haven model today in 30-06 at a lgs. I believe the G prefix began in 68-69 at the request of the ATF. My research shows all G series had 6 numbers after the G. The one I saw today was a G96XXX - only 5 digits. What are your thoughts? Thanks
Thoughts are it was made around ‘94 and this would be a good place to start more research smile

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2397826/post-64-model-70-g-prefix-serial
Yes I followed the thread and concur with your conclusion - '94. Thank you.
So it is a Classic, controlled feed rifle?
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

For some reason, i would have thought bw would have know to be a little more specific.

No - a Classic PF. I didn't mention any other aspects of the rifle thinking that the serial number is going to give me the year regardless of any features.
G96xxx is not a PF rifle.

It is a "Classic" CRF made in 1994.

G96xxxx would be a push feed made in 1969/70.

If it was PF, you missed a digit.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

No - a Classic PF. I didn't mention any other aspects of the rifle thinking that the serial number is going to give me the year regardless of any features.

There's no such thing as a "Classic PF" pushfeed.....
The push feeds of the '90's continued the same serial number sequence that started in 1936, with a "G" added in 1968.

100,000 in 1948. 500,000 in 1960. 1 million in 1970. 2 million around 1991. The first 873,000 (roughly) had no "G".

When the Classic came out they started over again at 1, but with a G in front. This run continued through 2002, at approximately G380000.

Starting in 2003 the "Classic" serial numbers were merged into the original, ongoing with the push feeds, serial run at around G2500000. Ending with the New Haven plant closure at around G3010000.
Originally Posted by winchester70

Yep, I agree. The pushfeed models started out as 6 digit rifles back in '64. The number grew and some of the last ones were 7 digit serial number pushfeeds. As we know, In 1992, the serial number ends with G2037985. I found a good example of a 7 digit pushfeed that was made in one year ('97). Its serial number is as follows: G21948xx. So even though we have no good record of serial # dates of manufactures after 1992, this is what I dug up......
The push feeds of the '90's continued the same serial number sequence that started in 1936, with a "G" added in 1968.

100,000 in 1948. 500,000 in 1960. 1 million in 1970. 2 million around 1991. The first 873,000 (roughly) had no "G".

When the Classic came out they started over again at 1, but with a G in front. This run continued through 2002, at approximately G380000.

Starting in 2003 the "Classic" serial numbers were merged into the original, ongoing with the push feeds, serial run at around G2500000. Ending with the New Haven plant closure at around G3010000.

Great info. I need to bookmark that somewhere!!!

Maybe it was missing its claw extractor? grin I'd go back again and look the rifle over very carefully..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
There's no such thing as a "Classic PF" pushfeed.....
Winchester offered a bastardized "CRF" push feed the last few years the Model 70 was made in New Haven; the lower edge of the bolt face was milled away to let the cartridge rim pop into the extractor, a la Sako 85-style.
Indeed.

The CRPF bastards of the last few years would be 7 digits, and would not start with a 9. So that rules it out of this question.
Indeed.

The CRPF bastards of the last few years would be 7 digits, and would not start with a 9. So that rules it out of this question.

Exactamundo....

Damn confusing, but it looks like you have a handle on it.

I'm not 100% on this, but I recall that the "controlled round push feed" rifles were chambered for some specific short fat rounds. I remember reading somewhere was what they had to do to get them to feed. Why they wouldn't work as a straight push feed I do not know.

Damn confusing, but it looks like you have a handle on it.

I'm not 100% on this, but I recall that the "controlled round push feed" rifles were chambered for some specific short fat rounds. I remember reading somewhere was what they had to do to get them to feed. Why they wouldn't work as a straight push feed I do not know.
I recall seeing one in .22-250 as well as the WSSM versions in the CRPF.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is a late entry into the SN game and its well past the 3010000 that model 70 has mentioned. This was a 325 WSM but I could not get it to shoot it was one the worse copper foulers I have ever had. I had it rebored by JES into a 338 WSM and it is now a tack driver.
301.....302...... I must be getting old, my memory isn't what it used to be.

That is truly one of the very last to leave New Haven.
301.....302...... I must be getting old, my memory isn't what it used to be.

That is truly one of the very last to leave New Haven.

From what I read very few 325 wsm left the plant in the stainless featherweight configuration.
Originally Posted by 79S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is a late entry into the SN game and its well past the 3010000 that model 70 has mentioned. This was a 325 WSM but I could not get it to shoot it was one the worse copper foulers I have ever had. I had it rebored by JES into a 338 WSM and it is now a tack driver.

Cool rifle John...

Nope - triple checked. A G prefix and a 5 digit PF. The mystery isn't solved yet I guess.
Was there anything written on the right side of the barrel ‘whoop? Any pics?
This is an awesome thread for me to stumble upon. I bought a used LH Model 70 300 WSM S/N G3001xxx and could not for the life of me figure out why the gun had this "bastardized" CRF bolt. I went down a rabbit hole looking for answers, but I've seemed to finally find some! If I'm reading correctly, my m70 was one of the last NH production runs?
Originally Posted by LeftyTomJH
I bought a used LH Model 70 300 WSM S/N G3001xxx and could not for the life of me figure out why the gun had this "bastardized" CRF bolt.
Huh? You have a CRF Model 70. Period.
Oh, well I guess my lack of knowledge on the subject shows 😜. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
I bought a used LH Model 70 300 WSM S/N G3001xxx and could not for the life of me figure out why the gun had this "bastardized" CRF bolt.

Not entirely true. They made the “control round push feed” in 300 wsm. That may be what you had. Lower bolt in this illustration linked below.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/winchester/70-post-64-crpf/parts-list-70-crpf
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Not entirely true. They made the “control round push feed” in 300 wsm. That may be what you had. Lower bolt in this illustration linked below.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/winchester/70-post-64-crpf/parts-list-70-crpf
This works better -- A LOT BETTER -- if you'd PAY ATTENTION before responding with something nonsensical. He had a LEFT-HANDED MODEL 70. ALL LEFT-HANDED MODEL 70s ARE CRF. END OF STORY.
This is an awesome thread for me to stumble upon. I bought a used LH Model 70 300 WSM S/N G3001xxx and could not for the life of me figure out why the gun had this "bastardized" CRF bolt. I went down a rabbit hole looking for answers, but I've seemed to finally find some! If I'm reading correctly, my m70 was one of the last NH production runs?

Welcome to the fire!

Your rifle was in fact made at the very end. Early 2006.

I don't know if they made the CRPF in lefty's or not, but you can simply look at the photos in the link AK provided and you'll know exactly which you have.
I don't know if they made the CRPF in lefty's or not
They -- Winchester -- did not. The left-handed Model 70 was introduced in 1997, produced off and on through 2006, discontinued, and were ALL CRF.
Thank you for the info! After looking at the diagrams, my m70's bolt is definitely a CRF! Glad to get so much info on the gun. LH's are few and far between here (NB, Canada), so I snatched the first one I saw and figured I'd learn about it later. I appreciate the help! laugh
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

This works better -- A LOT BETTER -- if you'd PAY ATTENTION before responding with something nonsensical. He had a LEFT-HANDED MODEL 70. ALL LEFT-HANDED MODEL 70s ARE CRF. END OF STORY.

You are correct. I failed to notice that he said LH. Thank you for politely pointing it out. I’ll try to pay attention next time. Please forgive me, sensei.
© 24hourcampfire