Home
Posted By: htredneck 5th Generation Winchester - 06/08/19
My 2nd Great-Grandfather bought this Winchester 1894 brand spanking new in 1901...
38-55, 26" half-octagon/half-round barrel, Lyman sights front and rear. I need to find a first or second variation Lyman No 1 'D' marked peep to put it back completely correct but for now she wears a Lyman 1A.
I am the 5th Generation to own it... passed from 2ng Great to Great Grandfather, to grandfather, to my father and now me. If I have my way, there will be at least another five in its future!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's the coolest thing I've read in a good long while.
Posted By: ctw Re: 5th Generation Winchester - 06/08/19
Can I recomend penning the history you know of the rifle, funny how details get lost over time.

I have a similar rifle that is 5 generations and I know little of its history other than what I can remember.
Beautiful rifle and great history. You should document the lineage......and if you want to adopt me I could be the sixth generation owner!
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: 5th Generation Winchester - 06/08/19
Great story, beautiful rifle!
Drop it in a lever Mickey stock, then Ceracoat a nice black/purple and you will really have something!
JK, of course, but I do hope it is still being shot now and then. Maybe even hunted.
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I do hope it is still being shot now and then. Maybe even hunted.

I am 59 years old and not once in all those years have I ever seen this rifle leave a house, let alone being shot or hunted.
That streak of non-use is coming to an end very soon - in fact as soon as I get the chance to load some rounds up for it. And you can bet your last dollar, it will be in the woods come deer season!
Originally Posted by winchester70

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: tmitch Re: 5th Generation Winchester - 06/08/19
That there rifle is priceless! Definitely needs to be used on a deer at least once by it's caretakers
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: 5th Generation Winchester - 06/08/19
Originally Posted by htredneck
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I do hope it is still being shot now and then. Maybe even hunted.

I am 59 years old and not once in all those years have I ever seen this rifle leave a house, let alone being shot or hunted.
That streak of non-use is coming to an end very soon - in fact as soon as I get the chance to load some rounds up for it. And you can bet your last dollar, it will be in the woods come deer season!

Outstanding! Good for you! Good hunting!
Please keep us posted. I look forward to threads about this rifle.
Utilizing colloquial terminology of my generation to remark:

Bad Ass!

Agreed!
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Agreed!

+2!!!!
It has now assumed a place of honor on my wall...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 5th Generation Winchester - 06/09/19
You make a good wall.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: 5th Generation Winchester - 06/09/19
I don't know why you don't fear burglars, and I'm not asking. I just hope you have it figured right.

Edited to add: Because I hate thieves on a deep, deep emotional level, and even though I don't know you at all, it would bother me to see an irreplaceable 5th generation family treasure lost to f___ing thieves.
Please take my post above in that light. I don't mean to be disrespectful or meddlesome.

Posted By: coobie Re: 5th Generation Winchester - 06/09/19
Nice..
© 24hourcampfire