Home
Posted By: T4HALO Classic fixed power scopes - 08/19/19
I initially thought I’d put my 2x7 Leupold on my new to me 59 Featherweight. I was going through my old scopes and found a Weaver 1.5, Burris 2.5, Lyman All American 4x and a gloss Leupold M8-4x. Any thoughts on using one of these classic fixed power scopes?

T4

Leupold M8.
Big fan of old glass. Dunno how many El Paso Weaver K2.5 scopes I have. Almost enough?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Classic fixed power scopes - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Leupold M8.

I like those suckers a lot.

I’d try a Weaver but I think Dan has them all whistle
I used Leupold Vari-XII 2-7x for many years, my two current M/70's have a Lyman All American Perma Center 4x with LEE dot and a Leupold Vari-XII 3-9x with Leupold hunting dot. My shotgun slug gun had a Weaver V4.5 .
Originally Posted by T4HALO
I initially thought I’d put my 2x7 Leupold on my new to me 59 Featherweight. I was going through my old scopes and found a Weaver 1.5, Burris 2.5, Lyman All American 4x and a gloss Leupold M8-4x. Any thoughts on using one of these classic fixed power scopes?

T4

I've bought many pre 64's with the old gloss m8 4x scopes. It always seemed like the perfect match, for the previous owners. Must have worked for them though, as many as I've seen set up that way...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by T4HALO

T4

I've bought many pre 64's with the old gloss m8 4x scopes. It always seemed like the perfect match, for the previous owners. Must have worked for them though, as many as I've seen set up that way...

I have the M8 4X on my 270 Fwt (short tubed one) and have a couple of the other long tubed M8 4X's on other rifles. I just pulled another M8 4X off my 30-06 Fwt in order to move it to another rifle that needed it (M600 350 Rem Mag). Had an older Vari X III 2.5x8 I put on the 06 that has been good over the years for a set and forget sorta scope. I have slipped from being a new Leupold fan on their newer stuff but the older M8's seem to just hold way better than you'd think they should. Suck as zeroing but once they are there they seem to stay in place.

Oh, another oldie I have is the Lyman 6X Permacenter on my Sako 222 Rem Mag.. Fine crosswires in it, but man, that sucker has clung to zero for as long as I can remember.. Not a bad scope either..

The ONLY classic/vintage scopes that I will trust to not take on water and fog up are Leupold M8’s.
Wouldn’t hunt with an old Weaver if you paid me. Ymmv.
Got a couple Leupy M8's, picked them up about 3-4 years back, used, at a local shop. They were like new, glass crystal clear and of the 2.5 variety I like so much. $150 for the pair, out the door. Still smilin' about that act of larceny.
Jack, MMV a lot. Pigs and deer hate the Weavers a lot. Will admit I don't hunt with them in the rain. Fact of it is I have one gun I get wet, a stainless/synthetic stocked Ruger 77/44. It has a red dot that doesn't seem to mind.
I'm a big fan of weaver k4s. I have several pre 64s that wear them. Also have a 10 on a 220 swift.

I used to have some variable lupus, but I never adjusted them amyway.
+1 on the Leupolds being the only ones that can be depended on not to fog up in the rain or snow. Sold my slug gun so now I don't have anything with a Weaver on it. The Lyman All American with LEE dot on the Whelen works fine and the .30-06 FW has a Leupold Vari-XII 3-9 with a factory dot reticle.
Weavers do the trick.
[Linked Image]

I still got my slug gun.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Got a couple Leupy M8's, picked them up about 3-4 years back, used, at a local shop. They were like new, glass crystal clear and of the 2.5 variety I like so much. $150 for the pair, out the door. Still smilin' about that act of larceny.

That's a score! I just grabbed one of the M8 2.5's for the same price. Those suckers are PERFECT on the lever rifles in my opinion..
Posted By: boliep Re: Classic fixed power scopes - 08/19/19

I have a Weaver K4 El Paso made that I would sell. It has a thin crosshair with dot reticle.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Classic fixed power scopes - 08/19/19
Given a choice I would go with a Leupold M8 too. Nothing terribly wrong with old Weavers, if you luck out with a good one. I have a K2.5 on my go-to Mauser '06 that has never fogged.
I made my own Jack O'Conner Tribute rifle out of a 1958 Model 70 in .270 Winchester by adding a Leupold Mountaineer on top of SK mounts and rings:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the real one:

[Linked Image]

Sent pictures of my rifle to the Jack O'Conner Hunting and Heritage Center. Got back a nice response complimenting me on my version. Have seriously thought to take my rifle to Lewiston, Idaho to get side-by-side photos.

© 24hourcampfire