Home
Posted By: Levers Wanted solid red pad - 11/28/19
Does any one have an extra Winchester solid red pad with the 1922 patent date that they'd part with?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Wanted solid red pad - 11/28/19
Maybe a galazan would work?
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Wanted solid red pad - 11/28/19
Difference between an original red rubber pad and the CSMC is subtle:

"PAT. JUNE 6.1922" = original.

"PAT. JUNE 6, 1922" = repro.

But collectors notice. Factory pads used a softer composite rubber. CSMCs seem lighter in tint, more pink, too. Well, to my eye.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Wanted solid red pad - 11/29/19
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Difference between an original red rubber pad and the CSMC is subtle:

"PAT. JUNE 6.1922" = original.

"PAT. JUNE 6, 1922" = repro.

But collectors notice. Factory pads used a softer composite rubber. CSMCs seem lighter in tint, more pink, too. Well, to my eye.

My replacement from CSMC is government issue orange.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Wanted solid red pad - 11/29/19
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I haven't looked at them recently. How old is yours? Did they address the punctuation/spacing?
Posted By: tcp Re: Wanted solid red pad - 11/29/19
I have a Galazan pad I would happily part with- PM me if interested.

Thanks
Posted By: hoogie Re: Wanted solid red pad - 11/30/19
I have an original one I’d sell. When I get home this week I can send you the dimensions and hole spacing.
How well did the original material retain its pliability?
Asking more of a general question than re: your particular rifle.

Edit I said pliability you stupid computer.
Posted By: bobski Re: Wanted solid red pad - 01/12/20
galazan owns the new pat on the retro pad. pat' law requires that a 20% change in design is required to make a new pad.
the dot and comma is one of the changes.(along with the shade of the red) which is a tactical ploy on their part to aid collectors in spotting replacement pads easily. and too, the pad isn't real indian rubber. its some new material.
when they first went to orange, I called them about it and they told me that they imported the dies from overseas, and that the dies react differently with the new pad material.
I was told to use alcohol to effect the aging of the color. doesn't work.
and in 20 years, they never addressed the complaints people had about orange. thus galazans lost my respect.
nice guns indeed, but lousy attention to detail.
they could have done something else for the 20% pat change.

I have a red rubber correct pad on my model 50 trap gun. its properly fitted and aged. but, the black plastic spacer cracked on the toe. ive been trying to find a old oem pad to replace it and I just don't have the heart to put an orange galazan on, so the crack remains. not to hijack the OP, if anyone has a model 50 pad....lmk too!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Wanted solid red pad - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I haven't looked at them recently. How old is yours? Did they address the punctuation/spacing?

They can't, it would be an infringement on the original patent... That's why you see subtle differences on things like this... The repro front hoods are the same way, they only taper one side of the hood. Other than that, they are dang near identical...
Posted By: GrandView Re: Wanted solid red pad - 01/14/20
Here's a correct reproduction.

https://pre64win.com/products/reproduction-winchester-recoil-pad
Posted By: bobski Re: Wanted solid red pad - 01/15/20
Grandview....thats the 'orange' color we are discussing. seems everyone has the problem of correct red color.
but, your link shows something even galazan cant get right.
the pad in your link has a DOT-DOT in the date line.
THAT is worth paying for.
any idea who makes it?
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Wanted solid red pad - 01/15/20
So they're orange now? The pads Tony was putting on his restored 21s back in the '90s were definitely a lighter shade of the original's red. Pink to my eyes. Difference was unmistakable, even if you didn't think to check the punctuation.
Posted By: bobski Re: Wanted solid red pad - 01/15/20
over the years, that pink has slowly leaned towards more of an orange. its obvious on current pads installed.
I have sitting on my counter a galazan pad from the early 90's BEFORE it went to pink. im saving it for an important redo if it ever comes up. its a real red.
but....grandviews pad is far better in the sense it has the correct DOT-DOT.
having one with correct markings, would make dealing with using dirty motor oil to dull the orange would be worth it.

my serious issue is spacing.
a model 50 requires 3 1/8" spacing. 3" wont do it for a model 50. im pretty sure the 3" spacing is for model 12's specifically.
© 24hourcampfire