Home
Posted By: Kansan Opinion Pre64 300 H&H - No pics - 01/20/20
Have a question about a pre 64 300 H&H, but can not get pictures....

The story...ran across a seemingly nice pre 64 300 Magnum (H&H) model 70 standard rifle a couple of weeks back at a gunshow. The seller was a nice fellow from a ways away. I looked the rifle over, it was a 1959, had the right stock, not refinished. I believe correct plastic butt plate, correct checkering for a late pre 64(correct me if I'm wrong on this). Only reservation, someone had polished the bolt (etched SN gone) and extractor. Question is, how much does this hurt the value? I know I can get a replacement extractor from Justin (is this unscrupulous?), but what about the polished bolt? He said he will be around again in March.

Also, worthless without pics I know but if it is honest with described modification, ballpark figure on value?

Thanks,

Kansan
Was it an H&H receiver? Ive seen some guys f up and buy these and they arent even a true H&H receiver. Thats the first thing i check. If it is, the rifle is probably worth $1,500.00+
I'd be suspicious of a bolt with the S/N etching buffed off and would suggest the headspace be checked before purchasing. Not a rifle I'd be in a hurry to buy, caveat emptore applies in this case for sure.
yep I would agree with the above stated, I'd say $1300-$1500 would be a fair price if it checks out.
What do you look for to see if it’s a true h&h receiver?
The front of the rear receiver ring is cut out to allow for the length of the H & H cartridge, similarly the rear of the front receiver ring has a notch to allow for the bullet tip.
© 24hourcampfire