Home
Just added my 3rd 71 to the stable. All 3 are bolt peeps and prewar long tangs, 1 of wich is a deluxe. There are 2 more out there I have my eye on. I just love shooting these guns.

I have original winchesters in 73s, 86s, 92, 1890, 94, 64, pre 64 model 70s, etc and not a one of em do I enjoy shooting as much as my 71s. Closest would be my Biesen 270, but still not quite there.

I have been playing with bullet loads in 170, 200, 220, 240, 250, and 270 and I enjoy the heck out of all of em.

I have the missing bolt peep parts coming my way.

Attached picture 20200217_131212-604x453.jpg
Attached picture 20200217_131215-604x453.jpg

71 Carbines are where it’s at.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

71 Carbines are where it’s at.

Amen
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
All of mine are 24 inch. We tend to be pretty open country, and the 20 inch versions aren't nearly as affordable.

Attached picture pix958179532.jpg
Attached picture 20190717_153642-640x360-480x270.jpg
I just got a Browning 71 Carbine with a Lyman 66 from a member here. Might not be an original Winchester but I still grin every time I cycle that action. I look forward to shooting and loading for it.
Well....make that 4.....will see if 5 and 6 happen.
So that is where all the bolt peeps are......
Nice looking rifles Cobb
I too love a Winchester 71. Beautiful sexy lines if a classic sporting rifle.
A true powerful beastly joy to shoot too!
I also have certain love for the trimmer sexy looking Model 64.
KingCobb & 06hunter59: I also love the looks and feel of the Model 71 Winchester (in all configurations!) and I was an avid collector of them at one time - BUT..... describing them as a "joy to shoot" or fun to shoot is out of my realm of understanding!
I have shot Model 71's (always with factory ammo) and I derived no pleasure from that, ever - I would MUCH rather shoot (and I have!) Winchester Model 64's (including those in 219 Zipper!) and Model 53's - now those "classic Rifles" are a joy to shoot.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
What is it with the continuous, CAPS, "-", (--)? (Question) /ˈkwesCH(ə) (n/, an interrogative expression often used to test knowledge.)

I KNOW what a question "?" is (and HAVE asked them OFTEN). However, in everyday writing (a from of communication) a ? is usually sufficient. grin
Certainly some fine looking 71s. I'd love to have a carbine but theu are scarce in these parts.

I hope to take a small black bear for meat this spring and I'll be using my 71 Special just for kicks.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
KingCobb & 06hunter59: I also love the looks and feel of the Model 71 Winchester (in all configurations!) and I was an avid collector of them at one time - BUT..... describing them as a "joy to shoot" or fun to shoot is out of my realm of understanding!
I have shot Model 71's (always with factory ammo) and I derived no pleasure from that, ever - I would MUCH rather shoot (and I have!) Winchester Model 64's (including those in 219 Zipper!) and Model 53's - now those "classic Rifles" are a joy to shoot.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Varmint Guy, I have been told that before, I was actually warned before I shot my first one that it was a killer on both ends....But I have never experienced that. The 270 grain gets a bit stout but I have never felt it to be onerous. Now I haven't locked one down on a bench to shoot either, all my shooting is off hand, so that may be part of it. It isn't a 270 or a 6.5, and certainly not a 257 or a 220, but I actually find its recoil to personally be less abusive than a 30-06 Model 700 I used to shoot. I also find it far more pleasureable to shoot than the 45-70 I have since passed on down the road. My 2 1886s are both 33s. Unpleasant for me is shooting a 375 H&H out of a model 70 or a full power 450 grainer out of my Turnbull 475(though the effects they render on feral hogs does make me smile), the 350 grainers downloaded are a joy though. Different folks and all that. Last summer I fired off 65 175 and 200 grain 348s in one session and it was a literal blast.
I have never seen a 71 I didn’t like.

I have a late mint 71 deluxe that is one of my most cherished rifles.
A M71 was on my "to do" list, and then I found one. Loved its lines, mass, finish, and smoothness. Then I shot it. More sturm und drang than I cared for and so-so accuracy, so away it went in the quest for The Next Great Hope. Might someday acquire another one, might not.
I guess they're pretty cool.
Bob

I only have one Browning so far. It has a 24 inch barrel buy I found a 20 inch off Ebay that someday I may swap over.
Originally Posted by RGK
I guess they're pretty cool.
Bob

That is an interesting peep on yours. I have not encountered one with a brass? ring inside it.
Yes indeed!......I'd love to have that brass lined insert for my Special.......anyone have one to sell?
Brownells
Yes, I see them also in Midway......thanks
I had a couple friends who were into them and I shot and handled a bunch. The 71 action is a thing of beauty, so smooth and positive, and the pistol grip gives the illusion of a shorter throw than a straight stocked 86 to me. The 348 was a vicious killer with the old 200 and 220 grain Barnes X bullets, too bad they’re gone but the Swift that was introduced a few years back is an excellent offering too.

I took an old reblued beater with a rotten bore and rebarreled it to 450 Alaskan then restocked it in a nice piece of figured walnut with a red Silvers pad for one of those buddies. Finished it off with custom swivels and a banded front sight to go with the bolt peep. Had another good friend who’s a master engraver duplicate the Winchester roll marks on the barrel but with 450 Alaskan as the caliber and then add a small tasteful amount of scroll in the corners of the action flats. We sent it to Turnbull for a charcoal blue. It was a thing of beauty.

I have a Miroku produced 1886 Extra Light that I rarely get out. It shoots pretty well and I killed some stuff with it in Alaska. But with anything above Trapdoor level loads it will loosen your teeth. You don’t even want to think about shooting 400gr bullets at 1900fps, brutal. I was just thinking the other day that I should get it out and work up some loads with a 300 grain HP.
Needs a sling.
© 24hourcampfire