Home
Posted By: crsides Winchester letters - 03/03/20
My buddy has a rare 1895 win in 405 that has some special features. I don't exactly what those are. He has a letter from Rob Kassab that wrote the 1895 win book, stating it is a rare special order rifle. He wants to get more info like who ordered it, etc but the Center of the West at Cody letters appear to not have this type of information. Any one know how to go about getting this info if it available anywhere?

thanks

Charlie
Posted By: Levers Re: Winchester letters - 03/07/20
Cody has a website that will give you the list of serial number ranges available for letter info on each model.

https://centerofthewest.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/2019-Winchester-List.pdf

If your friend's 1895 is outside that range (serial number greater than 60,000), then a letter from Rob Kassab is about as good as it gets. On guns that can't be lettered, there are things you can look for to assess judging whether features are factory original. Short of learning those for his gun, the Kassab letter is pretty valuable.
Posted By: crsides Re: Winchester letters - 03/12/20
thanks. He has some info, mainly wanting to know who ordered it.
Posted By: Levers Re: Winchester letters - 03/13/20
Originally Posted by crsides
thanks. He has some info, mainly wanting to know who ordered it.

Very rarely found in the Cody letters
Posted By: papalondog Re: Winchester letters - 03/18/20
I just picked up a gorgeous model 64 deluxe carbine from 1942. I wanted a letter and they said they have the bluing date or stamping date but not information on configuration, caliber or where it was sent.
© 24hourcampfire