Home
I have an honest, correct, original Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in 358. It came from a neighbor who bought it new. The metal is in about 98% and the wood isnt far behind. The only negative is the finish (mostly near the buttplate) is lifting in places. It is an early production variation with the low-comb (no-comb?) stock. It wears a Lyman strait 6 power scope.

Ive watched these (authentic and fake, original and altered) sell over the years and the prices are all over the map. With the recent prices I wonder if the market is too soft right now for selling a rifle like this. Any opinions?

Thanks
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
yes the market is pretty soft but there are always folks looking for the rare ones. I'd say if you want to move it, price it fair and it'll get interest.
don't price it if you don't want to sell it. A verry scarce rifle.
Dream rifle! That’s a beauty.
A very nice rifle. Price it correctly and have patience til you get the right buyer. Don't be in a hurry to sell it.
What year was it made? Serial # range? That is a rare one indeed. It looks like its been shot a whole lot more than carried. Just the opposite of the rifles i find around here.
Here is a recent comp; hopefully helpful.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858434495
I would not expect to realize as much as the GB rifle brought because of the flaked finish, missing front sight hood.
It’s a 1955 if memory serves but I won’t be back home til tomorrow to confirm serial number.

Thanks for all the input thus far.

At least one of the recent 3 GB comparables that sold looked refinished to me. But it’s always hard to tell.
Growing up back in the '50's, when I was old enough to appreciate a fine specimen when I saw it, our local sport shop had a .358 M70 just like yours way up on the wall for display only. I often wonder what happened to that piece? Not many guns made a life long memory like that one did for me.
Windfall, hopefully it was passed along to someone else who appreciated its rarity as much as the first owner did. Unfortunately a lot of these fine old guns weren’t properly cared for or appreciated and have been lost to time.
I'm interested if you figure out a value.
I pulled the stock and the barrel is marked 54.
The serial number puts it at 1955 DOM.
So it looks like a first year production.
It looks as though this one has been re-homed.
I have complete collection of all pre 64 feather weights plus as new un cataloged 250 3000 feather weight all 90% 0r better will take serious offers 0nly cell 603 381 3089
Topnotch99: Could you send pictures and prices to: [email protected]
TIA
BTT
Good luck in your sales!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I was miss spoken on the 250 3000 just checked it 257 Roberts mfg 56 barrel marked 25r 56 don't want to split up collection I will come up with price guess had it mixed up with my 250 3000 super grade to many guns and bad memory
© 24hourcampfire