Home
Posted By: rrconductor PRE 64 70 - 03/29/20
AM I CORRECT IN ASSUMING ALL PRE 64 70'S IN .264 WM came with SS bbls? Did they also have recoil pads or buttplates? I have been wathing 1 at the last 3 gun shows across the aisle from me that I want just for a shooter not collectible due it being drilled in the side for a G &H style scope mount , missing the front bbl screw, missing the rear sight and a stock that is at best 75%. The table owner is a dentist and friend and we traded and done deals in the past. He is asking $1295 , I think the more reasonable # would be $800 -850, what do ya'll think, or what are .264 's going for ? Best I remember the serial # put it late 50's early 60's.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: PRE 64 70 - 03/29/20
Probably a good idea to run rather than walk away from a rifle so altered, with all the alterations value is likely even less than your estimate.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: PRE 64 70 - 03/29/20
Yeah it is gonna be hard for him to sell that for much more than $600. The G&H holes kill it from anything. If it had the mount that would sweeten it a little. It should have a composite buttplate as well, no recoil pad. Most if not all 264's were Stainless barrels. I'll check the Rifleman's Rifle and see if that is in there.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: PRE 64 70 - 03/29/20
If hes trying to gouge you for $1295 for that rifle he is not your friend.
Posted By: Whitebird Re: PRE 64 70 - 03/29/20
That sounds like a leaverright rifle....
Leave -r -right where you found it.
Posted By: tmitch Re: PRE 64 70 - 03/29/20
I'd agree it's overpriced, however my LGS has a .264 that has a pad, refinished stock and the front sight removed for the bargain price of $1495!

http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/moreinfo.aspx?pid=022188&cs=/sproducts.aspx&ai=M
Posted By: gunswizard Re: PRE 64 70 - 03/30/20
Many fools, er folks believe that just because a rifle is a pre'64 M/70 that it is valuable, alterations do not even enter into their assessments. Witness the two examples posted above.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: PRE 64 70 - 03/30/20
Originally Posted by rrconductor
AM I CORRECT IN ASSUMING ALL PRE 64 70'S IN .264 WM came with SS bbls? Did they also have recoil pads or buttplates? I have been wathing 1 at the last 3 gun shows across the aisle from me that I want just for a shooter not collectible due it being drilled in the side for a G &H style scope mount , missing the front bbl screw, missing the rear sight and a stock that is at best 75%. The table owner is a dentist and friend and we traded and done deals in the past. He is asking $1295 , I think the more reasonable # would be $800 -850, what do ya'll think, or what are .264 's going for ? Best I remember the serial # put it late 50's early 60's.

Holy chidt, that guy is trying to put the screws to you. I hate to imagine what his dental costs are.... The last one I looked at was a fwt and they wanted $800.00 for it. That was about 3 months ago. There was also a very nice one in very good original condition for $1,100.00, but I am always looking for a really good deal. Neither one was a "real good deal". Is your dentist "friend" at least taking you to dinner first?
Posted By: Redneck Re: PRE 64 70 - 03/30/20
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Yeah it is gonna be hard for him to sell that for much more than $600.
And even THAT is rather high... I'm with another man above - 'leave it....' Not worth messing with.
© 24hourcampfire