Home
Posted By: Dutch Left hand sxs, 20ga? - 09/03/20
Background: I have to switch to left handed shooting due to sight issues in my right eye, and I have to shelve my much loved 1927 Elsie due to the amount of cast of the stock.

So, in the market for a lightweight LH field gun, and since I'm also 6'5", I'm not even sure where to start looking. I don't mind paying for quality, but I'm not in bespoke territory, either. Did I mention I LOVE my Elsie? I routinely made 60 yard shots on the sporting course with it, and hope to find something with the same carrying and shooting characteristics, hence the sxs. I suppose a 16 on a 20 frame would work fine, too. But the amount of walking I do after Huns and Sharptails means weight needs to stay below the arm stretching limit. Not really expecting to shoot no-lead with it, either. Strictly upland.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Posted By: ejo Re: Left hand sxs, 20ga? - 09/03/20
Can you restock your Elise or have the stock bent? I have a CSMC o/u with a straight stock that works well for me and I’m 6’6”. CSMC makes some very nice sxs as well with straight stocks and I also think they will bend them to fit. Beretta makes LH o/u and Joel E. in PA has a nice selection. Maybe give him a call and he can help with a sxs.
Posted By: RGK Re: Left hand sxs, 20ga? - 09/03/20
Lots of people around that can bend the stock. An easy fix in England and a too-easy solution. I've had a couple bent and am very happy with the results after bending.
Bob
Posted By: MLF Re: Left hand sxs, 20ga? - 09/04/20
Dutch I have a good gunsmith friend that can bend the buttstock with a cast on for you. If interested let me know via pm and I’ll send you his contact info.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Left hand sxs, 20ga? - 09/04/20
I have a Belgian SxS with a small amount of cast on. I could loan it to you if you like; I am just a bit over an hour south of you. It is a 12 ga, but it only weighs 6# 3 oz.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Left hand sxs, 20ga? - 09/08/20
Maybe this?

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...;Main=45405&Number=571647#Post571647
Posted By: Dutch Re: Left hand sxs, 20ga? - 09/08/20
I don’t see a reason for a crossover stock, I am strongly right hand dominant, but am learning to shoot left handed with my auto and o/u s just fine. They don’t have cast (at least the Brownings don’t). I’ve shimmed my 12 ga browning Gold auto to give a little cast to the left, and the starlings on the farm have learned to hate it.

But that gun doesn’t have a soul like my Elsie.....
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Left hand sxs, 20ga? - 09/12/20
Restock it to suit your current situation and hold onto the original.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Left hand sxs, 20ga? - 09/13/20
Mike, I like that suggestion best, thank you. Had not really considered that (Elsies are a bit notorious for being complex to stock). But I've always had to have an extension pad on the stock, anyways, due to the gorilla size arms, so just going to a custom stock is probably the most reasonable step forward. Now, to find someone to do the work.... suggestions?
© 24hourcampfire