Home
Posted By: John_Boy ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/23/21
Looking for a 223 left hand bolt action for my son.
Remington 700, Ruger 77, Savage 110 series, or???
Posted By: forpest Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/23/21
Are you looking new or used? I have a .30-06 and .2506 that are used in rem 700

Fred
Posted By: John_Boy Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/23/21
Fred,
I forgot to state the calibre. He's looking for a 223 chambering.
I updated the post.
John
Posted By: forpest Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/23/21
All good. Consider single shot rifles as well? Teach him one shot one like, most are unisex, and better selection. For some reason Remington thinks lefties can only shoot .22-250. That crazy thinking forced me into the pool of custom rifles — an expensive plunge!
Well, he’s 38….. he’s been taught. I gave him an Encore, but he wants a bolt. Three out of the four in his family are lefties. If he wants customs he’s on his own.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/23/21
I'm assuming he wants a sporter configuration. There are a few Remington 700 Varmint models and some precision rifle types on gunbroker but LH sporters are few and far between. The Model 700 CDL was made in .223 for only a couple of years and commands a high premium. Ruger 77 Hawkeyes were made in blued and stainless but are also very scarce, especially since they only made about 20 of the stainless ones ever, although you can find a stainless guide gun model now and then. Tikka made a LH .223 off and on but twist rates could be a surprise - 8, 10 or 12 depending on model and when it was made.

Here's a NIB Ruger American which should be a good shooter; a bit overpriced IMO but today's market is wonky so "reasonable" prices are hard to figure.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901500918
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/23/21
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I'm assuming he wants a sporter configuration. There are a few Remington 700 Varmint models and some precision rifle types on gunbroker but LH sporters are few and far between. The Model 700 CDL was made in .223 for only a couple of years and commands a high premium. Ruger 77 Hawkeyes were made in blued and stainless but are also very scarce, especially since they only made about 20 of the stainless ones ever, although you can find a stainless guide gun model now and then. Tikka made a LH .223 off and on but twist rates could be a surprise - 8, 10 or 12 depending on model and when it was made.

Here's a NIB Ruger American which should be a good shooter; a bit overpriced IMO but today's market is wonky so "reasonable" prices are hard to figure.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901500918

I actually have that ^^^^^^ rifle on a watch list. Have also been thinking about a LH bolt action .223. However, as noted, there aren't that many available. And the ones that are, are not inexpensive...
Originally Posted by forpest
Teach him one shot one like, most are unisex, and better selection.
I'd hate for some dude to get stuck with a feminine rifle.
My dealer just got back with me.
Ruger American left hand 223 $419 out the door.......
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/23/21
Is that old stock? I don't see that on Rugers web site in 223.
Not old stock. He just treats people fairly.
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/23/21
What I mean is I don't think Ruger has chambered those rifles in 223 for 4 or 5 years that would make it old stock would it not?
I see what you’re saying. Smitty doesn’t adjust his prices for time, politics, shortages etc. if that was the price three years ago that’s where it will stay until it sells. So, in light of that I’d say, I’d say it’s NOS. He’s a rare bird.
Posted By: verns Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/24/21
I had one and it shot very well and also fed flawlessly never a hiccup ! The 243 mate to it was a tack driver BUT very unreliable even after several different mags still a dud ,it is gone now !
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by John_Boy
My dealer just got back with me.
Ruger American left hand 223 $419 out the door.......

He did good by you, that's what I would call a very reasonable price.
Posted By: OGB Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/24/21
I've got a lefty RAR in 308. It's light, shoots great and I don't worry about it in weather. If I wanted a lefty 223, I wouldn't hesitate on a RAR. CZ made it's mini Mauser in 223 if you want walnut and blued steel and can find one. I think they were twisted rather slow which may be a concern if he intends to shoot heavier bullets.....
Posted By: 700LH Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by OGB
I've got a lefty RAR in 308. It's light, shoots great and I don't worry about it in weather. If I wanted a lefty 223, I wouldn't hesitate on a RAR. CZ made it's mini Mauser in 223 if you want walnut and blued steel and can find one. I think they were twisted rather slow which may be a concern if he intends to shoot heavier bullets.....

CZ 527 in .223 have been 1-9 for several years now
Posted By: OGB Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by OGB

CZ 527 in .223 have been 1-9 for several years now

Dangit! Now I need one. No idea why, just seems cool and fun. Maybe if they made a lefty in 6.5 grendel.......
Posted By: Onstep Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 06/03/21
I have a Remington 700 CDL .223 new in my safe. Feel free to PM me and I’ll fill you in on details. I was going to list it this summer with some others I haven’t used.
Posted By: hookeye Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 06/17/21
Pops has a Sav w fluted stainless long bbl on POS Choate Ultimate Crapper stock.

Is long action.

Freakin heavy. Retina issues, he wanted a bench gun of minimal recoil.

Passed away and its not been sold yet.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 06/17/21
PM sent....
Posted By: Sika_ Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 06/21/21
I know where a new left handed Browning A Bolt in a 223 wssm is....If interested let me know and I'll see that you get the information you need to buy it.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: ISO: lefty bolt rifle - 06/22/21
Thanks for the heads up, but I'll pass on the wssm.
© 24hourcampfire