Home
Posted By: InternetGuru Ruger No. 1 - 05/12/22
Looking for a first rifle for my kid who's left handed and left eye dominant. Was thinking about a Ruger #1 in .243. Is there any cast to those stocks that would inhibit use by a lefty?
Posted By: LeftHunter Re: Ruger No. 1 - 05/12/22
No
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Ruger No. 1 - 05/12/22
Work perfectly for me.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Ruger No. 1 - 05/12/22
I love my #1 and I'm left handed.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Ruger No. 1 - 05/12/22
Messed w about a dozen number 1s.
Right or left doesnt matter.....no cast.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Ruger No. 1 - 05/12/22
Never cared for a #1. Even when using two off set rings had a difficult time mounting a scope far enough back. Seems like most of the newer scopes have less tube length between the adjustment turrents and the front and rear “bells”.
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: Ruger No. 1 - 05/13/22
Indeed there can be issues with scope mounting using the factory rib. Skinner sights makes a peep for the No1 and that is cool and there's NECG peeps.

I use a Ruger scout rifle to 400yds with factory peeps and that's streching it on silhouettes but 300yd is entirely doable.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Ruger No. 1 - 05/13/22
Straight arrow stocks.
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: Ruger No. 1 - 06/03/22
Being a lefty is part of the reason I started shooting #1s, but mostly because of the cool factor - and I started with Ruger as a kid and just stuck with them. That .243 would be a fine rig for your kid!
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Ruger No. 1 - 06/03/22
Bill Ruger was LH
Posted By: TonyRumore Re: Ruger No. 1 - 06/03/22
That was my first rifle. Got it for my birthday when I was 13 in 1979. I'm actually right handed, but left eye dominant so I shoot lefty.
As mentioned above, scope mounting can be an issue. Even with offset rings, some/most scopes can't be moved rearward enough.

Tony
Posted By: flyer898 Re: Ruger No. 1 - 06/28/22
Ruger Number 1 rifles are great and great for left-hand shooters. I think that is why I have six in calibers from .35 Whelen to .458 Lott.
© 24hourcampfire