Home
Posted By: ctw A remington 581 left hand 22? - 02/05/13
Wondering about these looking around there seems to be almost a rarity? Maybe an old school left hand 22.
Posted By: mart Re: A remington 581 left hand 22? - 02/05/13
I have one I'd part with. Actually have one of each, right and left handed. Both are tack drivers. Both are be available. I am scaling down.

Mart
What is the question?

They made them. They're about $500ish
If they shoot like the right handed ones they're a 'poor man's' 541 and a deal at that
Posted By: ctw Re: A remington 581 left hand 22? - 02/05/13
Almost a rarity? Remington made several attempts at an inexpensive left hand rifle seems some are a little more scarce.
We picked one up off the campfire and it is a tack driver. My right handed one shoots almost as good. Can't go wrong with one if you can find a lefty.
http://www.remington.com/products/archived/rimfire/bolt-action/model-581.aspx

They made ~60000 total and I'll bet not a huge percent were lefty which is why they bring a premium over the righty version.

Good mags are their hangup.
The LH 581's come up fairly regularly on gunbroker and other second hand sites in the US. I have seen 3 in the past 25 years down here in Australia, and I check for them every time I go into a gunshop.

Interestingly they don't command the same price premium down here, with the leftie CZ452 dominating the left hand rimfire market.
Have a LH 581 also, and like the prior posts, it's an accurate sweetie. And I don't plan to sell it for that reason.

If you can find one, go for it.

Steve
I have owned a couple over the years, and based on the current market prices, I would surely go for the Savage Mark II which can be had for more like $200, and is surprisingly accurate as well.
Is it true that these are not 100% lefties, but have a right side loading port and a left hand bolt, sort of a hybrid?

Paul

Posted By: mart Re: A remington 581 left hand 22? - 02/05/13
Paul,

That is correct. Left side bolt, right side ejection/loading port.

Mart
Just noticed that Remington has discontinued a lot of their Southpaw rifles.
Which rifles Brother Bob?
.223 and .243 in CDL, the 17 Fireball in their varmint rifle, just to mention a few....Farther up, someone posted a Remington link on the 581. I looked at their products list for "Left-Hand" and noticed quite a few calibers discontinued.
Just checked the website and Remington discontinued the LH short action 223 and 243 Model 700 CDL plus the 700 SPS 7mm Mag.

Not good for us!
Nope. Hopefully, Remington will pull up stakes and move to Oklahoma. Then I can go to work for them and talk the "Powers That Be" into making more varieties of South Paw rifles and shotguns...... One caliber that I've always wanted was a .260 bolt with a 24 inch barrel. One of the flattest shooting calibers I've read up on. Trying to find ammo may be tricky though. I might just have to "roll my own" LOL!
Here is my 581 LH after barreling with a 18 inch Shaw barrel. One of the most accurate 22 i own.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bea175
Here is my 581 LH after barreling with a 18 inch Shaw barrel. One of the most accurate 22 i own.

[Linked Image]

Sweet looking rifle. By the way, I love your signature. I almost blew coffee all over my screen. LOL!
I owned two of these, bought the first one about 1977. Extremely accurate but plain jane looking, cheap plastic mags. Glass bedded the action and played with the trigger. Sold both after getting into Coopers. The 581 was just as accurate as the Cooper.
I got mine in 1971 for Christmas.
4x tip-off installed and never looked back.
Shot lights out and still does.
I would love to now how many thousands of rounds I've cycled through it........
and how many vermin have passed on....
I had planned to get one for a good while, but things got in the way. When Remington announced they were discontinuing the 581 series, I told my LGS to find one for me before they were all gone. His distributor found one in a shop in Idaho. He had it shipped in. The trigger was heavy and gritty, but it shot extremely well. I had a smith do the trigger and it shot even better. It is one of the guns that will never be sold.
Posted By: ctw Re: A remington 581 left hand 22? - 02/07/13
Well I have one that needs a new home and thought it should be offered here first. I have been on the fence about selling it, very nice condition with mirror bore and the only one I have seen for sale locally. I have never shot it and the thought was it would make a nice platform for a custom 22. The rear sight and base are missing without a doubt removed to accommodate a scope the original front is still there and I would think if you wanted the rear it would not be hard to find.
I would like $475 delivered to your ffl Alaska and Hawaii may add a couple of dollars for shipping.
Thanks Chris

Attached picture MVC-013S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-014S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-015S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-016S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-017S.JPG
More picts.

Attached picture MVC-018S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-019S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-020S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-021S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-022S.JPG
One last.

Attached picture MVC-023S.JPG
A guy just posted one of these on BG. He won't ship to NY so I guess I'm out. (as a side, I find it ironic a guy fron MN calls NY communist, but that's his right.

Remington 581
Posted By: ctw Re: A remington 581 left hand 22? - 02/10/13
Open to offers on the one I have for sale.
pm sent to CTW.
© 24hourcampfire