Home
i did this for years but once i started buying lefty guns i pretty much gave up on right handed stuff
...And I thank you my friend....Know that the 7mm rem mag I bought from you Is in good hands grin..It's a tack driving sob too...
I half jokingly call them traitors smile Seriously though I have one 303 British I keep because they might throw me out of Canada if I don't and it also makes a great youth gun for RH shooters I take out. Other than that I only have single shot shotguns and LH bolts now. The more lefties that refuse to hunt with RH guns the better it will be for all of us when the gun manufacturers increase the number of guns for us. I am impressed with how many options there are now for LH shooters these days but it could be even better.
[Linked Image]

The only RH centerfire boltgun that I still own. I shoot it occasionally

Mike

Not I. All are lefties or fairly neutral(Ruger #1's etc).

Did not start out that way. Only RH's were available in the 50's except for some custom rifles.

And I now really enjoy having the open side of a bolt action away from my eyes and face.

Steve

Grew up shooting right handed bolt .22's - fire, dismount, work bolt with right hand, fire, dismount, work bolt with right hand... Not real fast and kind of messes up using a sling.

First time I ever worked a bolt with the shooting hand the way you're supposed to I was hooked and have been buying left hand acions ever since. Have bought a few right hand actions over the years just to get a particular model not made as a leftie but they never get used much or stick around very long.
Because my wife and I booth shoot left handed, nearly every rifle we have is left handed. When our right handed daughter wanted to take up hunting, I put a RH 788 7-08 in her hands and she didn't like that one. I'd also purchased a Savage 99A 250-3000 in anticipation but she didn't like that one either. She pointed to a LH 700 270 project gun I was working on and said, "I want to shoot that one" and so she did. Now that she's out on her own when she's at gun shops or shows, all she looks for are lefties. She said I grew up shooting one and I'm staying that way. Quite the opposited of the OP.
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

And I now really enjoy having the open side of a bolt action away from my eyes and face.

I hear ya Steve. I had an unusual case rupture with that RH M70 while I was shooting. The case ruptured back into the extractor groove.

[Linked Image]

No fun there.

Glad I was wearing glasses

Mike
Not me, wouldn't think about hunting with a rifle with the bolt on the wrong side.
I just look at a right handed rifle as a single shot rifle .But over the years have gotten really good at se coned shots out of right bolt gun
I saw a left handed semi auto rifle today, never saw one before.
I'm down to strictly right handed guns. Had some lefties over the years, and found that I do just as well with the right handed rifles.
i guess after practice i shot just as well with righthanded guns. i buy and sell at gunshows i bet i've owned a 1000 righthanded bolt guns.
Yeah, I'm too much of a rifle churner to limit myself to lefties! If I could have the same options in lefties that are available in right handed rifles, or had an unlimited budget to build, I would certainly have a pure lefty inventory.
All of my rifles except for one are right handers. That one is a left hand Stag AR.

I am to the point of trying some left hand bolt guns. If Forbes LLC ever comes out with an all stainless left hand bolt rifle that will be a start. Another one that would interest me would be a model 700 Xcr II in lefty version.
Originally Posted by BIGR
All of my rifles except for one are right handers. That one is a left hand Stag AR.

I am to the point of trying some left hand bolt guns. If Forbes LLC ever comes out with an all stainless left hand bolt rifle that will be a start. Another one that would interest me would be a model 700 Xcr II in lefty version.

AMEN! I too would snatch up a lefty XCR II.
on the range anything goes in the field hunting lefty all the way
Left or right it doesn't matter. Did buy an semi auto for pigs recently to speed the process.
Right handed, left eyed. Off the bench I prefer right hand bolts.

stumpy
I own lots of lefties, but this is my favorite...M70 Winchester in .30-06. It's a minty standard from 1949 and wears a Lyman 4X. I don't have any repeat-shot issues.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
Because my wife and I booth shoot left handed, nearly every rifle we have is left handed. When our right handed daughter wanted to take up hunting, I put a RH 788 7-08 in her hands and she didn't like that one. I'd also purchased a Savage 99A 250-3000 in anticipation but she didn't like that one either. She pointed to a LH 700 270 project gun I was working on and said, "I want to shoot that one" and so she did. Now that she's out on her own when she's at gun shops or shows, all she looks for are lefties. She said I grew up shooting one and I'm staying that way. Quite the opposited of the OP.

you have a smart woman , who knows what she wants and doesn't Compermize
The only things I do left handed are eat, write, play ping pong, and shoot long guns. I do not own any left handed long guns. I rarely see them where I shop, plus I figure if I have to sell something it's easier to move right handed stuff. I am partial to ambidextrious stocks, not a fan of the cheek weld on my guns. I think that's why I so fond of the TC Icons and anything using a hogue stock.
I live in a house with my wife and two young daughters. Somehow, they are all lefties. What are the odds? Daughter #1 is now 8yrs and has always shot from the right shoulder, as her eye-test have always shown her to be right eye dominant. The wife is left handed and left-eyed, so she shoots from the left side and has to have her own bolt gun. The youngest daughter is not old enough yet to know, but I'm hoping she's right-eyed also, as it makes gun selection easier.
I, like like a good many here probably did, started out using right handed rifles, cuz that's what our dads, grandpa's, and uncles owned. Left handed guns, especially down here, were unheard of.
It was never a issue, cuz that's the way I learned, and became familiar with. In my late teens, early 20's, I purchased my first left handed bolt gun. Shot that for a few years, till a pre 64 featherweight in .270 crossed my path for $300.00. I made the switch back to a righty rifle, and have stuck with them for the past 35 years or so.
I've never worried about how fast I can cycle a bolt. Only critter I've been "charged" by was a VERY upset gray squirrel that I hit a tad high on with open sights and clipped his ear. Damn thing chased me about 30 yrds!

Right handed semi-auto shotguns have never been a issue at all. Only thing I've ever used. I can't think of a single time where I've ever noticed a empty shell that was ejected flying in front of my eyes.
All my bolts are right handed except one, and I have to think alot when I use it.
I only have left-handed bolt guns, no RH. Pump rifles & shotguns have LH safeties, as do levers that have safeties. Right-hand ejection doesn't bother me. I never seem conscious of the casings. Older Savage 99s are tough because of lever safety. Hard to work for me, especially with gloves. Too bad, as the 99 is my favorite lever gun. Used to feel left out as a lefty back 40 years or so. Things are much better now. Even have a LH option for bolt-action slug shotgun-Savage 220L. I have one ordered for my Maryland deer hunts. Most of my flintlocks are RH because when I started hunting in PA flint season that was what was available. Learned to ignore flash and now see no reason to switch. After all, we lefties are nothing if not adaptable!

Ron
I sold my 99E to my brother because of the difficulty in reaching the safety. If I ever find a 99C, I will probably jump on it. The only right hand rifle i still own is a Mosin Nagant 91 that is a beater truck gun.
Hitch, if you really want a Savage 99 look for the 99-DL model. Made beginning in 1960. It has the rotary magazine and a tang safety. I just bought one last month in the Classifieds here at 24hr. Mine is a .308. It also has a great trigger. (At least mine does!)

Ron

grew up shooting dad's rh bolt gun, specially the .22

moved to lever actions as a teen to hunt deer

at 18 I bought my first lh rifle, 700 BDL in 7 mag, figured it was the only rifle I'd ever need

and truthfully that's probably so, but it didn't stop me from buying 3 or 4 more of em

not a rifle loony, I'm a hunting loony, just need a few tools I can use comfortably and pretty well have all my bases covered at this point

though still tightens my jaw that I let a lh .375 H&H slip thru the cracks 20 odd years ago.
I don't even own a bolt-action rifle - (currently) ... but I've always felt comfortable working a bolt with my left hand, reaching across when shooting right-hand rifles.

Mostly, I love lever-actions, semi-autos, and Ruger #1s.

I have some pistols that may be considered left-hand friendly with 'ambi' features - but I don't pay any special mind to them as I use one hand to hang on to the gun and the other hand to manipulate the levers.

I do however have a matching pair of Six-Guns for two-handed shooting. One right-hand Vaquero and one left hand Vaquero.
When I find myself shooting way to the left and way to the right - I figure I've got the two mixed-up in the wrong hands.
© 24hourcampfire