Home
Posted By: scottf270 lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/21/13
On Gunbroker. Just listed. Gun looks as new. Blue and walnut. Seller is from Utah. I bid it to 800.00 and am not the high bidder.
Posted By: utah708 Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/25/13
Any guesses where the price will end up?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/26/13
Still has 2-1/2 days to go. Will be well north of $1,000, even for a blue/wood rifle...
Posted By: 10generation Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/26/13
Is it still up? can't find it?
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/26/13
1 day, 23 hours to go. Current bid is $1,125.50.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=338107911
Posted By: 10generation Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/26/13
never mind - found it
Posted By: nsaqam Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/26/13
Stupid money!

If you're a buyer that is!
Posted By: utah708 Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/26/13
It is too bad that FN/Winchester doesn't look at these secondary-market prices and fire up a LH production line.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/27/13
Originally Posted by utah708
It is too bad that FN/Winchester doesn't look at these secondary-market prices and fire up a LH production line.

Having a bit of experience in manufacturing, I can understand where the current owners may be a little reluctant to invest capital dollars to sell LH bolt rifles: Cost of additional tooling. Cost of additional parts, new SKU's and variations to track, production schedules, etc. And, the firearms industry is not a huge profit center for most of the conglomerates that own them. So why throw capital dollars after chasing a very small (for them) niche market.

However, as Winchester continues to cede market segments (eg: LH bolt rifles) to Savage, Ruger, and Remington, they will continue their slow slide into obscurity. I would love to have this particular rifle with the .473 bolt face. However, it is already approaching the price that I paid two weeks ago for TWO very nice rifles, a RH Stainless M70, and a LH Sako custom...
Posted By: AfricanHunter Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/27/13
They are scarce and this one is certainly showing it!
Posted By: Kenneth Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/27/13
At 1350, and still heading north, looks like the only New Havens I will ever own, are the ones I currently own...
Posted By: utah708 Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/27/13
Originally Posted by Kenneth
At 1350, and still heading north, looks like the only New Havens I will ever own, are the ones I currently own...

That is the problem. They are my favorite hunting rifle action. But they are getting priced out of reach for most people. How many working class guys are going to buy one for a son/daughter as a first gun?
Posted By: nsaqam Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/27/13
The fact that these are far from my favorite actions ( I dislike the safety and the weight) means these crazy prices don't have much effect on me.
I do wish I had a dozen to sell now though.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/27/13
Originally Posted by utah708
Originally Posted by Kenneth

That is the problem. They are my favorite hunting rifle action. But they are getting priced out of reach for most people. How many working class guys are going to buy one for a son/daughter as a first gun?

Not too many.....
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/27/13
I like the action, have one LH LT model in .30-06 with minor tweaking - bedding and a trigger job. Got another .30-06 LT a couple years ago and kept it around until I figured out what to do with it - it's coming back as a 6mm Rem hopefully in the next few weeks.

Kind of an expensive 6mm if you figure the lost opportunity of selling for over twice what I paid for it, but I'd still rather have the action for the rest of my life than a one time profit. As long as I'm working I'll make more money, but it looks like they won't be making any more left hand Model 70's for a while.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/28/13
$1530 with just under four hours left.

Posted By: utah708 Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/28/13
Originally Posted by nsaqam
The fact that these are far from my favorite actions ( I dislike the safety and the weight) means these crazy prices don't have much effect on me.
I do wish I had a dozen to sell now though.

My opinion is the opposite of your first statement, but exactly the same as your second.
The only thing about this auction that gives me pause is the fact that the high bidder presently has ZERO feedback.

It'll probably be fine but that is a bit concerning.

I like your addendum to your post though. You were likely thinking what I'm thinking when you posted it.
Posted By: ReggieDunlop Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/28/13
The only thing about this auction that gives me pause is the fact that the high bidder presently has ZERO feedback.

It'll probably be fine but that is a bit concerning.

It looks like the seller has the same concern. He modified the description asking for the e-mail addresses of the bidders so that he can offer the rifle to the losing bidder in case the winner does not follow through with the purchase.
I've become a lightweight rifle snob lately Utah and the M70 action just doesn't fit the bill where lightweight is concerned. Especially since I am loathe to sacrifice barrel length to achieve light weight. 22" is about as low as I'll go and much prefer 24".

And after years of tang and trigger safeties I find the M70 safety to be unergonomic.
The price has gotten so high that you have to wonder if they are legit.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/28/13
Okay folks, step right up!

I have a LH .473 bolt face Model 70 action, a .30-06 factory barrel and a minty looking LT stock which I will let go for the sacrifice price of $1450 (plus shipping and ins, which will run about $45). If you want them put back together I would only charge reasonable shop fees of $150/hour.

C'mon, you know you want it! Oh, yes, you do! grin Better grab it before someone else does. Deals like this don't come around every day!

Just give me a little while to get this frickin' 6mm barrel unscrewed from it...
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/28/13
I forgot to mention, the KY jelly is free....

wink
Posted By: Kenneth Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/28/13
1530 for a Blue/Walnut...Sweet Geezus.......

Whats a leftie Stainless '06 with Mcmillan Sako hunter worth to you?

That might cover Sams first year of College..

And after years of tang and trigger safeties I find the M70 safety to be unergonomic.

You clearly are from Minnysoda... whistle
I've become a lightweight rifle snob lately Utah and the M70 action just doesn't fit the bill where lightweight is concerned. Especially since I am loathe to sacrifice barrel length to achieve light weight. 22" is about as low as I'll go and much prefer 24".

I do wish the safety on the M70 was on the other side.

When I want a light gun, the M70 is far from my first choice; Melvin's guns have them beat by a mile (or is it a pound?) My "don't let me down" guns from 7 Mag through .416 Rem are all on M70s.
Funny you should say that Utah as I just bought my first example of one of Melvin's rifles.
You mentioned that you had. As you know, I have drunk Melvin's low cal koolaid myself.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/28/13
Sold... Maybe I should retrieve my LH M70 7RM from my gunsmith before it hits the top of his To Do list. It's "only" a LA magnum. But hey...
Posted By: KenMi Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 04/28/13
Wonder if the buyer realizes he still ends up with a $600 Winchester from their era of common factory mistakes and defects? Buying one with an unclear history is quite risky. If the seller at least claimed decent accuracy, it would be one thing. Quite a bit for a donor action, especially if the action itself could have an issue. But,to each his own. Browning and Winchester names alone seem to bring out the rose colored glasses. Good for the seller though. Now, he has more money to spend elsewhere.
$600 Winchester? Gas used to 1.50 a gallon, What's your point?

Factory defects? why the negativity? Feel free to come over and show me the "defects" in my Model 70s.

Who said anything about a donor action? That's a complete new rifle.

If the seller claimed decent accuracy? and you would simply believe him?

Odd how these junk rifles continually bring epic prices....
Posted By: Bricktop Re: lh 70 30-06 for sale - 05/06/13
Originally Posted by KenMi
Wonder if the buyer realizes he still ends up with a $600 Winchester from their era of common factory mistakes and defects? Buying one with an unclear history is quite risky. If the seller at least claimed decent accuracy, it would be one thing. Quite a bit for a donor action, especially if the action itself could have an issue. But,to each his own. Browning and Winchester names alone seem to bring out the rose colored glasses. Good for the seller though. Now, he has more money to spend elsewhere.
Bullshit. Either pony up with some specifics on this f*cking horseshit you keep alluding to and wasting everyone's time mentioning or knock it the f*ck off. You do this "hit and run" bullshit on these various Model 70 discussions, but you never offer any specifics; no names, dates, pictures, etc. The only thing you ever prove is you're a moderately misanthropic assh*le with internet access.
© 24hourcampfire